Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-07-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
HeretiK538
Petrol

Singing in tune and playing guitar

I consider myself a passable singer, but when playing guitar, I simply can't seem to get in tune with myself. I can sing in tune better when playing the piano - why is guitar harder? And what advice can you offer to improve? If you need more information, ask away. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
HeretiK538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #2
supersac

my only advice is to practice...and maybe tune your guitar to your piano

but the only reason guitar seems harder probalby you have more practice on the piano

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
You sound like an amazing friend
i sound like one...im secretly a huge dick

my bands soundcloud
http://soundcloud.com/thenativetongues
supersac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
z4twenny
UG's resident Psychopath

Location: there ain't no doubt in my mind, i'm gonna stomp all over your test of time.
You don't know the different parts well enough. Playing the guitar should be second nature so you can focus on singing.... Or vice versa
Cover of the NIN classic Head like a hole.
z4twenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
HotspurJr

It might be that the way you hold the guitar interferes with proper singing posture and breathing technique. If you're not keeping your chest expanded, it'll affect you ability to hit pitches. There's a reason a lot of folk singers and singer/songwriters use smaller guitars (particularly when dealing with acoustics) than the dreadnaughts used by people who are just playing guitar in an ensemble.

Do you have the same problem sitting or standing? Eg, sitting, if your guitar is pushing your right arm up pretty far, that's going to impact your vocals. Standing it might be less of a problem.

If it's not that, my guess is just that you're not as experienced doing the two yet, and the answer is practice. You're using more brain cycles to focus on playing guitar and that interferes with your singing.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
HeretiK538
Petrol

I generally sing and play with my acoustic, which has no strap, so I'm usually sitting down. I'm able to sing and play on occasion, but I simply can't seem to get in key with what I'm playing most of the time. About the only song I can reliably do both with is Trains, by Porcupine Tree - is it that I'm not practiced enough on whatever else I play? I figure, I can sing it, and I can play the chords, so why can't I 'find' the notes I should be singing? I can hit them well enough when I find them, it's just really difficult for me to 'find' them. There's probably a better term for it than that, but that's the jist of it.

Thanks for the responses, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 PM   #6
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

Are you playing in the same key as the original, and you can sing along with the recording fine? You could try playing and singing with the recording in that case. If you're changing key, that can make it hard to catch the melody.

And don't expand your chest. Your diaphragm, not chest.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM   #7
HotspurJr

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealUnrealRob
And don't expand your chest. Your diaphragm, not chest.

No.

Your chest doesn't move when you sing, true. But not because you don't expand it. It should ALREADY BE EXPANDED.

Take a deep breath. See how your chest expands? Let your breath out while holding your chest expanded with your intercostal muscles. That's your "exhale" position as a singer.

If you try to sing without expanding your chest, the only way to do it is to hold your chest tight, which is horrible for your pitch control and tone.

Yes you breathe from your diaphram, but you need your chest expanded.
HotspurJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 10:06 PM   #8
Tyson2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotspurJr
No.

Your chest doesn't move when you sing, true. But not because you don't expand it. It should ALREADY BE EXPANDED.

Take a deep breath. See how your chest expands? Let your breath out while holding your chest expanded with your intercostal muscles. That's your "exhale" position as a singer.

If you try to sing without expanding your chest, the only way to do it is to hold your chest tight, which is horrible for your pitch control and tone.

Yes you breathe from your diaphram, but you need your chest expanded.

on this note, a good way to learn the proper position for your chest is to put your arms above your chest, then slowly lower them to your sides without bending them, and do not drop your chest, this is how it should be.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #9
HeretiK538
Petrol

I've been playing for the most part in the same key as the song. Not tuning down, but I do use a capo on occasion. Weirdly, I seemed fine going through the odd Belle and Sebastian song yesterday. Maybe it's just some weird phase

Besides that, it's pretty clear I'm barely scratching the surface with my singing technique. Like I said, I have no strap pegs for my acoustic - I know sitting down when singing is gonna hinder me a little, but I can't really stand and play guitar and sing. Is it worth chasing this up, or can I get away with it? I shall take a closer look at what I'm doing with my breathing/ chest, etc. Cheers!

Quote:
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote:
Old 12-10-2012, 11:30 PM   #10
RealUnrealRob
Lazy Physicist

Standing is better, but you can certainly do fine sitting. Try doing vocal exercises before you sing, you can find some on Youtube, or you can just sing or do the blowing-your-lips airplane thing (as long as you're using your diaphragm/abs!). My vocal teacher always told me to warm up before I sang anything whatsoever, even in the car.
RealUnrealRob is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: