User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
SteveHOC
Used Register

Am I missing something here?

Hey all,
Here's a quick breakdown of the situation. I was laid off a few days back and am going into my hunker-down mode, which involves combing through all of my old gear, or projects, and trying to sell it off to put some money away. Being unemployed sucks, and you never know how long it's going to last.

I stumbled on an old Teisco guitar under one of the beds in my house, something I had gotten long ago and never found much time to tinker with. Here's my question - I have the thing up for sale for $40 on Craigslist, and I'm now getting competing offers for above my asking price. Am I insane? Am I missing something here? Are Teisco guitars suddenly worth more than they used to be?

The details I have on the guitar are limited, other than a partial name "Valiant" on the headstock, and the model EJ-2 on the model sticker.

I'm really not sure what to make of it, as I normally have to turn people down for ridiculous low-ball offers. Now I'm turning people down because I apparently have the holy-grail of crappy guitars. Anyway, I've combed through eBay, didn't really find many like it, it's in pretty decent shape (save a missing tuning head and a few screws).

Bear in mind - I'm just in panic mode with the unemployment situation, I'm not terribly hard-up, but also don't want to hang on to clutter that will never get fixed up.
Attached Images

SteveHOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

after doing a little research, I found out they sell for about 50-70 bucks used. 80 if your lucky.

so you can up the price a little.

but just curious, how much were the offers you got?

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81/85 (Drop-C)

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 02-01-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
SteveHOC
Used Register

Ok, so I'm not way off-base then. Those were the figures I came up with, too, but I figured $40 would be a better price if trying to move it sooner than later.

I've had five for asking price, all adamant that they NEED to know if I sell the thing, to keep them in the loop daily.
One offer was for $50, and the next for $60.
The only reason I haven't moved it yet is because I had told the first inquirer that I would sit on it for a couple days until we could make arrangements to meet.
I'm trying to be honorable, as I can't have any more bad stuff bite me in the ass right now.
I figured karma might be nice on my side for a change.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
Roc8995

Telling someone on Craigslist you'll hold something for them is the definition of asking to get bit on the ass.

Be straightforward - first come, first served, cash in hand. You're not being dishonorable to anyone by letting them screw you and everyone in line behind them by 'thinking' about it for a few days and then never emailing you back - and that's how it works, every single time.

I would re-list it at $75 and take the first $65-70 offer you get. It should move quickly, people seem to want to snap up these kinds of guitars. Don't list it at $40 and then start a bidding war among people who have no incentive to follow through on paying more than they hoped to. That's why you're getting all these people 'thinking' about it - they saw $40 and are loathe to pay $60. If you say 70, they'll throw you 60 all day long and drive to you to pick it up.

Good luck - Craigslist is a cesspool.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
Chaz-6(sic)6
ThatMETALDude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Telling someone on Craigslist you'll hold something for them is the definition of asking to get bit on the ass.

Be straightforward - first come, first served, cash in hand. You're not being dishonorable to anyone by letting them screw you and everyone in line behind them by 'thinking' about it for a few days and then never emailing you back - and that's how it works, every single time.

I would re-list it at $75 and take the first $65-70 offer you get. It should move quickly, people seem to want to snap up these kinds of guitars. Don't list it at $40 and then start a bidding war among people who have no incentive to follow through on paying more than they hoped to. That's why you're getting all these people 'thinking' about it - they saw $40 and are loathe to pay $60. If you say 70, they'll throw you 60 all day long and drive to you to pick it up.

Good luck - Craigslist is a cesspool.

This.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Re-list it at $75. And take an offer that's above $50. Boom!!! Better than $40, and everybody wins.

Jackson DK-2 - Transparent Black - EMG 81/SA (D-Standard)
Jackson RR-3 - Ivory w/Black Pinstripes - D-Activators (Standard)
Ibanez RG370DX - Black - EMG 81/60 (Drop-B)
Jackson JS32R - Black - EMG 81/85 (Drop-C)

Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 : 02-01-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Chaz-6(sic)6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #6
SteveHOC
Used Register

Thanks, guys, I appreciate the advice and answers.
You're definitely right about waiting on it, I probably shouldn't, I spoke with the guy and if he doesn't come through by tomorrow I'll pull it and relist for a bit more.

Craigslist is awful, without a doubt, especially in the DFW area. Way too much driving around.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:52 AM   #7
Alucard817

I always post items on CL for more than I actually want, not by much just 10 bucks or so, that way the buyer, and yourself have some wiggle room to negotiate.

This way they're happy cuz they got a deal, and you're happy cuz you got what you wanted out of it.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:04 AM   #8
SteveHOC
Used Register

Normally I do as well, but in this instance, with the impending feeling of financial hardship, I pretty much price things to move. Again, it's perception over reality, but losing income can instantly make you feel like you need to start selling everything.
Old 02-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Alucard817

I know the feeling dude. Problem with that is you end up selling everything super cheap, then regret not getting what you could have out of it.

I think he's a Fender Jazz guy.
Alucard817 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: