User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-12-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
tiritos

Bass for absolute begginer

Bass for absolute begginers

Postby tiritos on 12 Oct 2013, 23:43
Hi guys! I am beggining and I am not sure of which of these is better for me. Could you try to help me?

- Yamaha RBX 374
- Cort Action
- Squire Vintage Mid Jazz 70'
- Sterling SUB
- Ibanez GSR200

Thanks a lot!!
tiritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:50 AM   #2
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Well, the basses you listed are all worth the money you pay for them. Maybe we could narrow your choices if you could tell us what kind of music do you like, if you have a particular bassist's tone your after, and also, budget, location, and if you're going to buy an amp (Remember, you CAN'T USE YOUR BASS THROUGH YOUR GUITAR AMP, unless you're willing to damage the speakers...)

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #3
tiritos

I really like flea, but I am thinking about I am a begginer, so I suppose I will play a little bit of each kind of music. I just need a bass for that. The amp: Fender, Marshall or Line 6
tiritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #4
smtp4me

Hi - My advice:

The two most important things to consider - how the bass feels in your hands (and when you play it), and the tone.

I personally have never played Yamaha, Cort or Sterling. But I have played/owned Fender and Ibanez. Both are good choices (Squire is simply low-end/beginner product line from Fender). I also prefer thin necks, which Ibanez and the Fender Jazz are both famous for. So if you get a Squire Jazz model it should be similar.

If you have not already, find a music store that has either all or most of the basses you have listed, and play each of them "side by side". You will know which one you prefer.
smtp4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Sudaka
Novice Bass Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by smtp4me
If you have not already, find a music store that has either all or most of the basses you have listed, and play each of them "side by side". You will know which one you prefer.

This is very important. Experience what you're buying, that's a must. Still, tell us what your budget is for the bass, and for the amp.

Also, the amp brands you listed probably won't give you much for your money. Remember, help us help you, providing as much info as you can. And if you like fela's playing, soundwise you'll get nearer with the sterling.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Sudaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
FatalGear41
Battle Beagle!

The Yamaha RBX basses offer a lot of bang for the buck, and are not mere "beginner basses." An RBX will serve you well for a good, long time. The Squire Vintage Jazz is also a fine bass; particularly for the price. Be warned, though: many a Fender Jazz bass addict got hooked by trying a Squire first. It is sort of a "gateway bass" in that respect.

The same factory that makes Cort instruments also makes them for any number of brand names, so you often end up with a bass that is every bit as good as comparable models from other makers. They are definitely worth checking out.

My advice is to try as many basses that are in your price range and pick the one you like best. Price is an indicator (often a good one) of the quality of an instrument, but even a high-quality (and high-priced) instrument will do you no favors if it just does not feel right for you. There are plenty of people who dream about 1950s Fender Precision basses; until they play one and get a taste of that super-fat neck. Then they realize that this vintage marvel is not the bass for them.

Good luck with your bass search, and welcome to the Low End, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
FatalGear41 knows the ways of the obscure. I hear it's just not with Gibsons. Beware, Halloween approaches...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz91
DAMNIT FATALGEAR YOU RUINED MUH FLOW!
FatalGear41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 03:01 PM   #7
realsmoky

This one is coming from somebody who doesn't really fancy Fender and Squier but damn, Squier Classic Vibe is the best bass a beginner could pick up by far! They are done incredibly well, they feel almost like a real Fender guitar, they have a really good neck and they are simple to use. And you can sell them later on, although I recommend keeping them for 20 years - they'll be hella worth then!

They go between 200 and 300 euros on auctions, the price can vary a lot but look them up. New ones are expensive if they are not on sale. If they are they get really cheap.

The best alternative to that is the Squier Vintage Modified.

You'll be able to use both of them for a really long period of time.

As for the amp - listen to the opinion of others. Play a bit without an amp, won't feel the same but you'll learn some stuff, I often play unplugged.

And if you're REALLY poor ( I DO understand that there are many people who don't have money for a really quality bass AND an amp ) go with one of those starter kits. They are not as good, but good enough. If you get used to playing on a piece of wood, you'll do really fine with a real instrument later on. The shitty amps will provide epic distortion if you ever pick up a guitar or play a bit louder.

Ibanez is the way to go with those starters.

Be aware that you will probably never be able to sell them for a good money.
realsmoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:13 PM   #8
dspellman

First bass -- it doesn't matter much, honestly. Get one with decent action and no buzzing frets and a decent set of pickups. My first bass was a Fender Squier Skull bass:

It was used (and in surprisingly pristine condition) on a Guitar Denter wall for around $100 (including a cheap gig bag). Still have it; it's a pretty decent full-size P&J (Precision and Jazz bass pickups) with a blend knob. Aside from the sorta goofy piratical graphic, it's been more than enough for anything I've needed to do.

My second bass was an '89 Carvin LB75 -- five string, active pickups, neck-through, yada yada. Also used, also in outstanding condition. Bright Ferrari red, tilted Jackson style pointy headstock.
dspellman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 10:32 AM   #9
wingchern

My first bass was a used Peavey Millenium BXP 4. It has jazz style pickups and sounds pretty good.

Last edited by wingchern : 10-30-2013 at 10:35 AM.
wingchern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:29 AM   #10
prof_fate

as a newer player (10 months) I have an ibanez 200 (a p/j passive) and a yamaha rbx375 (5 string, active humbckers) and at lessons I play a Ibanex 300 (p/j active).
My amp is a rumble 75 by fender, cost $229 on sale. GREAT amp - smaller (power) just sounds like crap, no tone.

As for the guitars...active takes a 9v battery. I don't see/hear much difference in tone/volume, etc - but I'm not trying to push things (yet!).

The ib 300 is MUCH lighter and thinner in the body that the others. All feel about the same in the neck (the 5 is of course a tad wider).

I got my 200 used from a store for $99 includ a bag, strap and cord. Can't say no to that!
The yamaha I got used off CL for $160 - again, a steal.

Peavy grind are nice too - being through necks they have a LOT of sustain, are humbukcing passive. A friend got a 6 string new for $300 last week and I"m holding it till he can sneak it past his wife. A 6 is WAY wide on the neck.

remember- you'll spend way more on lessons than gear! I've spend $800 on lessons this year...more than all my gear combined. But trying to learn on one's own, especially in the beginning, is very difficult.
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #11
sucubus
UG Newbie

for an absolute beginner, id suggest the Encore. its what i started with......all those years ok.......*flashbacks**
anyway, they are very cheap, cheerful and make noise. (Y)
sucubus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:40 PM   #12
pAWNlol
master of the diddly-doo

fender rumble is a great line of bass amps, especially if you plan on getting into slap bass at all

also i hear a lot of good things about hartke bass amps

also, i know youre mainly talking about what to buy, but in terms of technique, do yourself a favor; unless you REALLY like the sound of picked bass, never use a pick. its a lot harder at first, but in the end youll be a much better bassist

after all, what could you do more with? 1 pick, or 5 fingers?

very funny

MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL
pAWNlol is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: