Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
rockstar256

Help, esp ltd b-335

Friend of mine decided to get bass, i have no idea about bass guitars. He want a 5 string since our band tunes to B, we're playing Deftones,Korn,Mydvayne. Price range 700-1000$. I need some recommendations about ESP ltd b 335, also what AMP and strings etc?
rockstar256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
moody git
I bad writing

ryan martinie uses NT thumb basses and DR strings, but i'm not sure what he uses in terms of amps etc (i think he used/uses the jonas hellborg warwick amps?) unless you wanna splash out on a thumb, use the bridge pickup and play quite aggressively. as for deftones and korn i'm not entirely clued up on their bass departments so i can't help you there.
i'm assuming the budget is for bass AND amp? i'd also recommend ibanez (maybe an SR305) and perhaps yamaha (im thinking rbx375) for good value, solid instruments. that could leave you with more money for an amp too.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:07 PM   #3
Nutter_101

Quote:
Originally Posted by moody git
ryan martinie uses NT thumb basses and DR strings, but i'm not sure what he uses in terms of amps etc (i think he used/uses the jonas hellborg warwick amps?) unless you wanna splash out on a thumb, use the bridge pickup and play quite aggressively. as for deftones and korn i'm not entirely clued up on their bass departments so i can't help you there.
i'm assuming the budget is for bass AND amp? i'd also recommend ibanez (maybe an SR305) and perhaps yamaha (im thinking rbx375) for good value, solid instruments. that could leave you with more money for an amp too.

Martinie uses the Warwick Xtreme 10.1. I really doubt the Hellborg system can get his tone!

The only thing I would say is, you don't really need a 5 string (could tune to BEAD), and spend more on the amp than the bass.

Quote:
<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Nutter_101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
moody git
I bad writing

ah yes, my mistake. i was thinking of marco hietala
i didn't think ryan played in BEAD/G i'm pretty sure theres an f# in there somewhere :S:
EDIT: found this after a quick google
Quote:
For L.D. 50 4 String - BF#BE 5 String - F#BF#BE
For The End Of All Things To Come and Lost And Found 4 String - CGCF 5 String - GCGCF

that being said, any mudvayne i play, is completely playable in BEAD/G. Choices throws a bit of a challenge with the 1st fret C going all the way to 15 and upwards, but its managable

Last edited by moody git : 01-20-2013 at 10:31 PM.
moody git is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #5
rockstar256

Well budget is for just bass guitar, amp will be another budget
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #6
moody git
I bad writing

the $700-$1000 seems to be full of ibanez and i can't imagine that being a bad thing and it just so happens that the fieldy sig bass sits in that range!
aside from ibanez, from that link the schecter may be worth a look - though i've heard quality control can be a bit hit and miss with them - as would the sterling by musicman. if possible, get him to go to a GC and play as many basses as he can to find the one that he likes most.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:33 PM   #7
rockstar256

Well im trying to get him to local music store but hes afraid lol.

Rate This Thread: