Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-23-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Finishing touches on a modded-to-hell Squier

Hey guys so i've modded this Squier strat i bought for $40. It was in awful condition, warped neck, garbage intonation, fubarr'd input jack and pots, so i replaced the pickups, pots, jack, tuners, and un-warped the neck and reset the intonation. It's playable, but im wondering now what would improve the overall sound/sustain of it more--a nice Fender American bridge, or a new neck? I would probably be going with a birdseye/flamed maple neck and sanding the finish down on it. Eventually i'll probably replace both, but it wouldn't be for a good amount of time in between.

Which would give me a more noticeable improvement?
Bitches be Crazy.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
Robbgnarly

With out modifications, you can not use a USA spec bridge on a Squire (they are metric) but you can get some good bridges for it. Look at Gotoh and Wilkinson for good bridges.

www.guitarfetish.com has some good bridges with brass blocks and stainless steel saddles for <$50 and they are good quality ( deff better than the stock one)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

I have no problem with drilling a couple post holes into it. It's already pretty beat up
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 06-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
TunerAddict
Real Ass Nigga

I'd recommend a might mite neck. Love the one I have and they offer a wide range of different types.
Originally Posted by Ian_the_fox
Hey man believe it or not I got other things in life to do aside from trolling assburger kids yaknow?

No you don't

lol
TunerAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
Jarrodthebobo
Youth Gone Wild

Ya should probably get a new neck. Not only will it probably sustain better, but it'll be a MUCH better player (depending on whether or not the neck you purchase is of higher quality than what you already have, of course.)

FrankenBee Build
Jarrodthebobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Black'n'Tan
Black. And. Tan.

If you get an American bridge, you'll either have the block sticking out the back of the guitar unless you have it trimmed down a 1/4". You could probably DIY, but you'd need a grinder and a drill. Plus it would be a PITA. Same would go for a bridge for a MIM Strat. That's assuming that you're talking about a Squier Affinity or Bullet Strat, and not a Standard. The bodies are 1/4" thinner on the Affinities, SEs, and Bullets than on Squier Standards or any actual Fender Strat.
Old 06-23-2013, 05:20 PM   #7
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

Im also ok with having the block sticking out. I knew the Affinity series had thinner bodies, did not know the bullets did also. This one is an Affinity.
Bitches be Crazy.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:10 AM   #8
Black'n'Tan
Black. And. Tan.

I could be wrong about the Bullets, but I guess it doesn't matter for this situation. The last Bullet I handled was a vintage ('80s?) Fender Bullet--that was as thick as a regular Strat; haven't paid much attention to the Squier Bullets, TBH, but I when I did see one I was under the impression it was more like an Affinity than like a Standard.

Last edited by Black'n'Tan : 06-30-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Black'n'Tan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: