Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-12-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
iwannaplay2

Question about scale names and positions?

I have this guide,

http://imgur.com/xsFBY

The circles ones I imagine are 'sharp'?

But if they are why doesn't that scale start on the corosponding note? Example:the Db major is like this,

http://imgur.com/69i4c

If this is d sharp why doesn't it start at the 11th fret on the g# note? Or am I missing something?
iwannaplay2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:09 PM   #2
J-Dawg158
UG's Resident Dhampyr

That's the symbol for flat. The symbol for sharp is #.
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
J-Dawg158 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #3
Sickz
Jazz Musician

Those are not sharps, those are flats.

This is a sharp symbol: http://www.epianostudio.com/wp-cont...09/02/sharp.gif

It starts on the 9th fret of the E string cause thats the note D flat/C sharp (In this key it is a D flat though). 10 fret would be a D, so you lower it by a semitone, you got D flat.

That's probably the most basic way i can explain this.... I would imagine Zaphod or someone else could do a better job and fill in the gaps in my explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Sickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
gypsyblues7373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickz
Those are not sharps, those are flats.

This is a sharp symbol: http://www.epianostudio.com/wp-cont...09/02/sharp.gif

It starts on the 9th fret of the E string cause thats the note D flat/C sharp (In this key it is a D flat though). 10 fret would be a D, so you lower it by a semitone, you got D flat.

That's probably the most basic way i can explain this.... I would imagine Zaphod or someone else could do a better job and fill in the gaps in my explanation.

I think that's about the only way you can really explain it! It's just Db. Simple. I wouldn't put too much time into learning a scale in Db initially, since it's rare that you're going to run into a guitar-based song in that key. I'd worry about the more common keys first, like E, A, G, D...then you'll find that if you need to play in a flatted of sharped key, all you have to do is shift the form up or down the fretboard (once you've got it fully memorized and under your fingers).
gypsyblues7373 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwannaplay2
But if they are why doesn't that scale start on the corosponding note? Example:the Db major is like this,

http://imgur.com/69i4c

If this is d sharp why doesn't it start at the 11th fret on the g# note? Or am I missing something?

One of the most important parts about this whole post is a very key misunderstanding:

A scale doesn't have to start on a given note to be in that key.

It doesn't really matter that the scale diagram starts on Db, it contains the notes of Db so that's what it is. Note that it could be Bb/A# minor as well but that depends on the backing you're playing over.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #6
gypsyblues7373

That is true...but a little advanced, I think, for someone just now learning scales
Old 12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblues7373
That is true...but a little advanced, I think, for someone just now learning scales

Not at all; people need to get used to the idea that a scale doesn't start or end in one place or anything of the sort. Scales are defined by resolution and the notes they contain. Defining them by the physical application on the guitar is getting the whole arrangement the wrong way around.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:23 PM   #8
gypsyblues7373

But as a beginner, the only way he can apply it is physically in forms/shapes on the guitar. From there he can learn the proper intervals, how they sound, etc. Without knowing where to find them on the guitar first, it's just abstract to someone new to the guitar. Just my opinion.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsyblues7373
But as a beginner, the only way he can apply it is physically in forms/shapes on the guitar. From there he can learn the proper intervals, how they sound, etc. Without knowing where to find them on the guitar first, it's just abstract to someone new to the guitar. Just my opinion.

That's fine but a conceptual understanding of what a scale is at this stage in learning will only propagate throughout the rest of his learning. It's where people get these asinine ideas about modes from, I'm sure of it.

Rate This Thread: