Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-07-2016, 08:19 PM   #361
ThunderPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcs392041
Thunder, I'm going to go with your tube setup that you listed, as I've heard the JJ's are the way to go in the BV's. I just, mainly wanna get rid of that 'fizz' in the distortion.

The fizz is primarily in the treble and presence controls. Cranking the mids and using an EQ pedal in the loop to help shape things further eliminates a lot of that fizz. Keep the treble and presence settings on the amp around noon or less. Anything higher than that on those two knobs and you'll have a beehive frying bacon coming through your speakers.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic 50.
ThunderPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:00 PM   #362
wcs392041

LOL @ Behive Frying Bacon

Surprisingly, I set up the whole stack at practice Monday. Got to turn it up to about 3, and it was very clean. I kept the gain around 11 o'clock, and it was again, very clean. Only thing I really lost was my thick palm muting sound that I like. But other than that, everything sounded good. I still may do the mod tho, and definitely changing over to JJ's.

I'm guessing that I'll have to bias this head once I put the JJ's in it right? With my luck, I don't expect anything to go easy haha
wcs392041 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 03:36 PM   #363
trashedlostfdup
likes hamuckers.

You do not have to bias preamp tubes. They make more of difference and power amp tubes in my opinion. However, it is good to have a backup set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.
trashedlostfdup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 06:02 PM   #364
wcs392041

Oh, that's right. Duh, forgot about that.

Ok, last time (or at least I'm hoping) buggin' you guys. I have one more thing I need to ask about.

At some point during all of this thread, I've seen it asked if the bulb behind the tube was working. I can't remember what reason it was asked, but it got asked a lot.

My question. I have a bulb out behind one of my tubes. I put a new one in, and it still doesn't come on. I know it means something, but can't remember what. Amp sounds fine, and very loud. How do I get the lamp back on?

Thanks in advance, again. haha

PS - it's the bulb behind the power tube closest to the input jack. (Far left if looking from the back of the head)

Last edited by wcs392041 : 02-10-2016 at 06:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:44 PM   #365
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Thanks for keeping this thread alive.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:49 PM   #366
wcs392041

I had no choice, you guys were always the 'go to' for this amp. Now that not many people post questions here any more, I finally had to join and ask myself haha!

Thanks for making this thread!
Old 02-10-2016, 08:51 PM   #367
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Oh, that's right. Duh, forgot about that.

Ok, last time (or at least I'm hoping) buggin' you guys. I have one more thing I need to ask about.

At some point during all of this thread, I've seen it asked if the bulb behind the tube was working. I can't remember what reason it was asked, but it got asked a lot.

My question. I have a bulb out behind one of my tubes. I put a new one in, and it still doesn't come on. I know it means something, but can't remember what. Amp sounds fine, and very loud. How do I get the lamp back on?

Thanks in advance, again. haha

PS - it's the bulb behind the power tube closest to the input jack. (Far left if looking from the back of the head)

Bulb power and tube heaters run on the same supply. If none of the bulbs are on that's the first thing to troubleshoot.
Old 02-10-2016, 08:53 PM   #368
wcs392041

Ah ok. So if only 1 bulb is out, then it could just be a bad socket, or a cold solder joint for the bulb right? Nothing to worry about?
Old 02-10-2016, 11:11 PM   #369
ThunderPunk

Nothing to worry about if it isn't effecting the amp in any way, and really it shouldn't.

I swapped my bulbs out for LED bulbs, that way I could switch the colors. I had blue for a while, as well as orange for a standard look. I ordered mine from a site called cointaker that specializes in pinball machines haha. The 44/47 Super 5 bulbs they offer are pretty awesome for lighting up the interior of the amp head.
Gear: Gibson Les Paul Studio, Gibson SG Special, Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster, Fender Jazzmaster, Gretsch Pro Jet, Carvin C350. Peavey 6505, Sovtek MIG-100, Vox AC30, Peavey XXX, Peavey Classic 50.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:50 PM   #370
wcs392041

Dude, I almost ordered a set of the blues today haha! Form the same place. Saw a video of him rebulbing his pinball, and how bright and vibrant they were. But I gotta figure out how to get the 4th bulb to come on LOL That will definitely be my next investment once I get all bulbs burning.

Doesn't seem to effect the amp honestly. It's LOUD. VERY loud. Hard to tell if tubes are glowing with those 3 bright ass orange lights behind them, but tone definitely isn't suffering in any way. Nor is loudness. Did I mention loud? rofl
Old 02-11-2016, 02:04 AM   #371
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Thats awesome on the LED's.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:16 AM   #372
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Ah ok. So if only 1 bulb is out, then it could just be a bad socket, or a cold solder joint for the bulb right? Nothing to worry about?

Yep
Old 02-22-2016, 04:55 PM   #373
HappyJeff

Crate BV60H starts to hummmmm

Hello,
i hope you can help me. My Crate BV60H is humming. It´s very loud. Clean and Lead Channel, both.
6 weeks ago, everything worked fine, except some noises from V1 tube, so i tried to change preamp tube and suddenly it began to humm. I brought it to a tech and he repaired the effect loop (which was also defect), but it is still humming, and that is not normal. He tried to told me, that this is normal, but i know my amp...and that is definitely NOT normal. The amp is normally very quiet, especially in clean channel.
Do you know a solution ? I am desperate...tech has no idea. All tubes already changed, but that has nothing to do with tubes. Must be something else. Cold solder somewhere ?

I think that humm started, as soon as i touched the V1 or V4 tube...

please take a look at my youtube video. Thanks a lot from Germany.

https://youtu.be/UamPF8yXiqk

cheers
Jeff

Last edited by HappyJeff : 02-22-2016 at 04:57 PM.
HappyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2016, 03:24 PM   #374
ThunderPunk

Even new tubes can be microphonic... try moving them around, try popping a few different ones in if you have some extra/spare preamp tubes floating around.

If it isn't a tube issue... it might be a soldering issue as these amps are known to have rather not nice boards in them. Also believe the tubes are board mounted which means something may have happened with a solder connection due to flex of the board. Other things to consider are cleaning jacks on the amp with some electronics contact cleaner. Things like the fx loop can cause noise in an amp or degrade the sound quality of an amp if the jacks get corroded or dirty. If cleaning and tube swapping doesn't help, my next guess would be a solder issue. Check the simple things first.
Old 02-23-2016, 04:00 PM   #375
HappyJeff

Today, i changed the preamp tubes, after cleaning their sockets. But still the same problem. I guess that could really be the solder problem...uhhh, where to start ?
I will resolder the preamp tube sockets first...there are so many solder points
If it doesn´t work, i will resolder all points...uh
Perhaps on saturday, i will stay in cellar with my amp...i keep you informed
HappyJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 11:41 AM   #376
marvcoolness

Hello all!

Sorry to "resurrect" such an old thread, but it looks like it has had some hits recently, so...

I am a new proud owner of a BVH300!! This thing is a monster of an amp!

Here's my question/problem...

The amp came with no tubes at all, not a problem, I bought the whole tube compliment and based the amp, the only issue is that it uses 2 12au7's as its phase inverters, in positions V11 and V12, or is it V12 and V13? Brain fart! Regardless, the last two positions.. Problem is, where exactly are the last two positions physically!!! If any of you have seen the amp, or pictures of it, you will notice that like most amps the pre-amp tubes are in a row in front of the output tubes, easy enough, those are, most likely all the 12ax7's, pretty sure there, but there are three more sockets for "pre-am style tubes" behind the output tubes, this is where, most likely the 2 12au7's will go, together with the remaining 12ax7, question is exactly where?!
I have tried them in different positions, and I know enough about tube amps to realize I'm really not going to fry anything by trying, as either a 12ax7 or 12au7 are capable of being phase inverters or pre-amp tubes. I couldn't tell any difference in the sound, really, when I moved them around, no dicernable loss of gain, as you would expect if a 12au7 replaced a 12ax7 in the pre-amp stage, but with so many 12ax7's anyway it may not make a huge difference anyway. Still I would love to get them in the right place! Looking at the schematics doesn't help really, because they won' tell you where, physically, the tubes are supposed to be in relation to the chassis.

So, anybody out there knows the answer? Hey, it could be that I got it all wrong and the 12au7's are supposed to go in the front row somewhere, as I have no idea where they started counting the positions!

Another thing I should say is that the amp "gives out" a pretty loud HUM/HUMP type noise when it first turns on, even after a while on stand by, it fades away pretty quick though, and from then on it only hums as I suppose a 300W freaking tube amp would anyhow, but again, I never dealt with a beast this big, so just want to cover all the bases.

If anyone is interested I could make a review/demo video of the thing and put it up on youtube, there are only a couple of them and they are terrible, and I have a pretty funky recording set up at home...

Let me know

PS> Just realized I had posted about this amp a while back and completely forgot about it! Doh! Well, I had just purchased it back then, didn't even have the tubes yet. I was not ignoring you guys, I swear! Is there a way to "subscribe" to the thread, so I get notified when new posts are being made? I have a crazy work life and sometimes I jsut forget about forum posts...

PS2> Man, it's tough being dumb! Just saw the option to subscribe, doing so right now! Again. let me know what you guys would like me to play/test on this amp, as soon as I get the tube problem fixed I'll record the video

Last edited by marvcoolness : 02-24-2016 at 11:54 AM.
marvcoolness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 12:58 PM   #377
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Should be V9 and V10. I'll dig through my crap and see if I can scare up a tube diagram.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:12 PM   #378
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Tube Diagram, BV300HB
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BV300HB tube diagram.pdf (76.0 KB, 4 views)
Old 02-24-2016, 03:33 PM   #379
marvcoolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby911
Tube Diagram, BV300HB

DUDE! You're awesome!

You get to pick the first song/setting you want to hear on my little review!

Gonna change it out today when I get home

Wooohooooo!!!
marvcoolness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 04:17 PM   #380
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvcoolness
DUDE! You're awesome!

You get to pick the first song/setting you want to hear on my little review!

Gonna change it out today when I get home

Wooohooooo!!!

Good Luck!

Rate This Thread: