Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-22-2013, 02:32 AM   #1
Vanagandr

Epiphone les paul custom..

Hey there was thinking about picking up a 50th anniversary Epiphone Les Paul custom (second hand) from one of the local shops for $850nzd and was wanting to know if anyone knows much about these? Is it a good deal and what are they like to play?
Cheers for the help!
Vanagandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

They aren't much different than a regular LPC aside from the 50th anniversary portrait on the back of the guitar and tuners. It has the same build quality, woods and neck profile. Personally I wouldn't pay any more for it over a regular Les Paul Custom.

I'm not sure what the guitars would go for in your market. You should probably check around and see what other people in your area are selling them for to see what a good price to pay would be.

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 AM   #3
Vanagandr

What's the difference between the gibson and epiphone ones? I read somewhere that the wiring in the 50th anniversary Epiphone version is better quality than the usual ones?
Old 02-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #4
H4T3BR33D3R
UG's Poison Mist

UG has plenty of threads that explain the differences between an Epiphone and a Gibson. It's a common question so you'll find that information pretty quick with a quick search. Even a google search would give you the answers for that.

To sum it up quickly: Better hardware (pickups, tuners etc...), better quality woods and just generally of a better quality.

As for the wiring, I've never heard of it being different. Where did you read that?

But, I did just eat some pizza so I am quite fartsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axelfox
Dude i like rap and stuff. Im a furry and I also have a wolf plush with a hole that i use at times.

Only at times, though.
H4T3BR33D3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Vanagandr

Can't quite remember. Typed in the type of guitar to Google and found some review Site that explained It. Another question, would it be an upgrade to an ibanez ax120? Sorry about all the questions I'm still learning about different guitars etc..
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 AM   #6
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

It's threads like this in which a Gibson vs Epiphone sticky would be so useful. EG gets this question virtually every day.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:45 AM   #7
paruwi
€pi Wiki Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanagandr
Hey there was thinking about picking up a 50th anniversary Epiphone Les Paul custom (second hand) from one of the local shops for $850nzd and was wanting to know if anyone knows much about these? Is it a good deal and what are they like to play?
Cheers for the help!

here is more information...

http://epiphonewiki.com/index.php/A...ary_Les_Paul_LE

paruwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:05 AM   #8
Vanagandr

Sweet cheers bro

also does anyone know if this would be an upgrade to an ibanez ax120 or would it be better to stay with my ibanez?

Last edited by Vanagandr : 02-22-2013 at 04:11 AM.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 AM   #9
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

It would be a big upgrade but they're such totally different guitars it's like saying a Fender MIA strat is an upgrade from a generic banjo.

(´・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
MrFlibble
Puts a bangin' donk on it

Considering it'll be over ten years old, I would be wary; double-check every aspect of the guitar, make sure it's in good condition.

Otherwise, yes, a regular Epi LP Custom will give you the same thing in terms of sheer functionality, feel and sound. In fact come to that, so will an Epi LP Studio or Standard. Shop around, see what else you can find; unless you really, really want that specific Limited Edition, there is nothing about it which makes it worth buying over other common models.

Rate This Thread: