User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-10-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

WTF Washburn? Is this normal?

Hello,

I need to adjust the truss rod in my neck. I have never done it before, so imagine my surprise when I find out none of the allen keys that came with the guitar, fit in the truss rod. Is this normal? What size of allen key do I need?
Shadowofravenwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
samjbow

If you don't know what you are doing, I highly advise that you do NOT adjust the truss rod yourself. They're quite sensitive and if you make a mistake you can severely damage the neck of your guitar. Have a professional do it, unless it's something you really want to learn how to do yourself.
samjbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #3
JustRooster
Organ Donor

Well, let me start by asking this:

Why do you think you need to adjust the truss rod?

A lot of folks on UG see this as a remedy for so many situations, but I've found (and I used to repair and sell guitars in my old town) that just about every setup I didn't either didn't need an adjustment, or only really needed a 1 or 2 click turn. Maybe you can describe the problem you're having for us as far as your set up and we can help you get a more detailed answer to help achieve the results you're looking for.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

As previously stated, you may not need to adjust your truss rod. But there is a way to check it. Fret the first and last frets on the low E string. Check the distance between the 7th fret and string. The gap should be roughly about a credit card thickness. You can adjust it either way a little, but there is no reason to deviate from that by more than 2mm, unless something is really wrong with your guitar. I usually just increase the back bow until it starts to buzz when I play the low frets, then back it off a bit.

And as for the wrench thing, it's entirely possible that they didn't want you messing with your truss rod, so they didn't give you that wrench. Or it could have been the music store that sold it trying to make people return for setups.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjbow
If you don't know what you are doing, I highly advise that you do NOT adjust the truss rod yourself. They're quite sensitive and if you make a mistake you can severely damage the neck of your guitar. Have a professional do it, unless it's something you really want to learn how to do yourself.

"Professionals" charge obscene amounts of money for something that takes them 2 minutes to do. I highly advise that people don't start messing with their truss rod without knowing what they are doing, but it is a relatively safe process for someone that understand what they are looking for.
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
terribleguitar
Really terrible guitarist

Adjusting russ rod isn't dangerous, lol. Adjust it by small increments (1/8 of a turn), then wait 5-7 min because the neck will need time to adapt to the changes. Then check the bow. Repeat until you get the desired bow. Just make sure you are not going in the wrong direction. If it starts difficult for you to turn do not apply any force, that's when you can break the truss rod, but that's unlikely.

As for the allen wrench, contact the shop, or Washburn directly, or buy some wrenches from a hardware shop.
terribleguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
gpme332

If you are careful you should not have any issues adjusting the truss rod, (Sorry those that posted not to but...). I did it on my acoustic with just a bit of advise from the GT I spoke to. To get some more bow I had to turn the rod counter-clockwise. As stated in an above post turn, SLOWLY, 1/8 to 1/4 turn, wait, test and then turn again if needed until the neck is the way you want it.

I spoke to the guitar tech because I was experiencing fret buzz on the high e when I played a D chord or anything that fretted the high e on or before the third fret. I asked how much for a set-up or to file the fret and he asked me if I had changed my string size. I did, to a lower gauge, and he suggested adjusting the truss rod before I did anything else. He told me how to do it, I did it and have solved the issue.

Like I said before: If one is careful and mindful that a little goes a long way one can do it successfully.
gpme332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
poppameth
Lord of Freaky Dingos

You have to crank the hell out of a truss rod to do any damage. It's possible to do, but not likely. Just take the time to do a little reading and find out exactly how your truss rod works and what to look for when adjusting it. Invest in a set of decent wrenches for the guitar as well. Ball headed are best for getting a good angle on the truss rod in a lot of guitars. Lowes carries sets of them for around $20 that has all you should need.
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall 6100LM Head with Slash Signature 4x12 half stack.
http://gideond.wordpress.com
http://darkling.poppameth.com
poppameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #8
T00DEEPBLUE
Edits posts like a boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by samjbow

People are way too scared of truss rods. They're very simple devices to understand and provided you don't go mental with them, you'll never damage your guitar.

(・ω・`)
T00DEEPBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 09:48 AM   #9
JustRooster
Organ Donor

To those who are telling him to adjust it and how, I think you misinterpreted my post:

I'm not saying NOT to adjust it, I'm asking him what the issues are to make sure that a truss rod adjustment is indeed the course of action he needs to take. The vast majority of these sort of cases I see end with someone not even needing to adjust the truss rod at all. It's not the magical be-all-end-all cure for fret buzz.

BUCKY
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:47 PM   #10
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

My issue is that I went from 11-54's to 11-48's and I want to drop down to 10-46's. Since the drop I'm noticing fret buzzing all over the 7th fret and higher points on the neck. I also think there is a slight bow in the neck.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
woad_yurt

A pretty extensive set of allen wrenches can be gotten very, very cheaply, like for a few bucks. Even if you never use them on a guitar, they're handy as hell to have around.

Avoid the ones that are assembled together like a Swiss Army knife. The ones made in an "L" shape are far more useable; there's no big handle to get in the way when you're using them in tight spots.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.

Last edited by woad_yurt : 12-12-2012 at 09:26 AM.
woad_yurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T00DEEPBLUE
People are way too scared of truss rods. They're very simple devices to understand and provided you don't go mental with them, you'll never damage your guitar.

I know, it's not like the guitar's going to explode or anything.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #13
Huge Guy
My muscles sure are mean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by woad_yurt
A pretty extensive set of allen wrenches can be gotten very, very cheaply, like for a few bucks. Even if you never use them on a guitar, they're handy as hell to have around.

Avoid the ones that are assembled together like a Swiss Army knife. The ones made in an "L" shape are far more useable; there's no big handle to get in the way when you're using them in tight spots.

I'd also avoid the ones all together on a key chain.

Also make sure you get ther right ones because they make them in metric and in US measurements.

All my guitars need the metric ones.
Huge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 08:15 PM   #14
Shadowofravenwo
Recent tube convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huge Guy
I'd also avoid the ones all together on a key chain.

Also make sure you get ther right ones because they make them in metric and in US measurements.

All my guitars need the metric ones.

I never considered they wouldn't be standard. Snap.

Rate This Thread: