Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #21
RndyW0

The internet is such a good teacher for some things.

I used that to work out some fine-tuned techniques like artificial harmonics as I couldn't work out how to do them without watching someone else do it as I had literally no idea of how to move my hand to make it happen.

I don't regret not getting lessons though; it might have helped but it has definitely helped me develop my own style of playing instead of learning someone else's.

It has made my guitar playing more unique, though I did play trombone for 7 years before even picking up a guitar so had the theory nailed. I then just needed to apply it to the most wonderful instrument in the world...the guitar.
RndyW0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:05 PM   #22
knifeboy

I was self taught for about five years, then hit a wall as far as learning anything else goes. I started taking lessons a little over a year ago. Man, have I learned a lot! I first learned about all of the bad habits I had developed. Then I began getting some technique down, mainly through learing to play songs and solos of the greats via tablature. Now I am learning some theory and beginning to re-learn to sight read (I played mallet instruments and drums in school). I'm really glad I'm doing it. I'm getting better by the week in many areas. It's certainly well worth the $30 a week that I'm paying.
knifeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #23
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

The thing about online lessons, TS, is that you generally don't someone right there correcting you.

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:06 PM   #24
necrosis1193
Autonomatonomonapoton

People that think instructional videos and online guides are a comparable replacement to a real instructor are either delusional, or have never had a good teacher.

Baltimore Orioles: 52-42
York Capitals: 5-3
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 world champions, 2014: 1-1
2014 Pick 'Em: 19-13
necrosis1193 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:27 AM   #25
sashki
Look mum, no brakes!

I had a teacher when I was just starting out, and I think it's great to have someone show you the basics. They can see what you're doing and tell you how to improve. They can also help point advanced players in the right direction. Videos are great, but there's so many of them and so much to learn that it can be overwhelming. Where do you begin?
Old 03-01-2013, 05:52 AM   #26
StuartBahn

In response to those that actively prefer to not have a teacher, this is an admirable approach but be aware that you may be picking up bad habits that you'll have to work out of your system later on - which can be a frustrating and time consuming experience.

Also, there is the question of time. It could take you weeks to make a 'discovery' that a teacher could have explained to you in just one hour. This is fine if you enjoy the journey of making discoveries but if you really want to get somewhere fast then a good teacher could potentially save you a lot of time.
StuartBahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:50 PM   #27
Sewn Up

I prefer self-taught to an extent, especially in the beginning. When you're learning how to play on your own, it's a lot easier to get your own feel, style and personality because it's only you doing what you feel is right and what you think sounds good. Lessons don't hurt at all, but it may be a bit harder getting out of the bad habits you fell into when it comes to technique and whatnot.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #28
guitaristSD

Everyone operates differently. Many people learning to play the guitar have initiative and motivation and can push themselves to learn. However, other people need a guitar teacher to push them, keep them focused, or help them "get over the hump" when they plateau. There are obviously many incredible guitarists who have never taken a lesson. On the other hand, there is an equally high of number of guitarists who have.

Bottom line, it depends on you.
guitaristSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:22 AM   #29
TooktheAtrain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyman65

Also, I think it really depends on the person. There are some people out there who just have a natural talent for it and can learn and do much more in a few years than most of us could probably accomplish in decades of playing.

I think this mars what is an otherwise excellent post.

I think this is a bit of a common sense myth, but really the only difference between talented folk and non-talented people is that talented people invest more time, and invest it better.

Practicing smart for 20 minutes is going to be ten times more effective than hours of mindless noodling, and if people devise careful practice regimes that are meticulously tailored to their learning abilities, they can achieve mastery with an appropriate amount of effort.

The thing is, the type of practice that really expands one's ability is gruelling, mentally exhausting and boring. It's the people that can bear with that and find new ways to challenge themselves that are the most successful imo.
TooktheAtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:35 AM   #30
Brownbear93
no longer a jersey

The problem with being self taught is sometimes you lack motivation to progress further. You just become content with learning your favorite songs all day and not really focusing on your "technique" or whatever.
Brownbear93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:40 AM   #31
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Your ideal teacher is you in ten years' time. If I'd had a teacher like that then a few things would have been better or quicker. Motivation and discipline of technique. I would have liked a teacher who worked from a compositional basis, i.e. someone who encouraged me to write music and to develop that writing ability in parallel with technique.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #32
WaterGod
SEC *****es!!!!!

I payed a guitar teacher 70$ a month for half a year and he didn't teach me shit. Then I picked up guitar myself and was able to teach myself music theory in less than a month. Seriously i'm the best teacher I've ever had.
WaterGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #33
treborillusion
UG Fanatic

Both...

Self teach and get shown stuff too/lessons.
look nigga, if you're chillin with 5 bros and 2 hos, you're gonna wanna pay attention to all of em equally. not moon over the hos forever and laugh at every shitty thing they say and just stare at them all night, like some of my mates do.
treborillusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:58 PM   #34
sfaune92
XYHeteroCisScum

Quote:
Originally Posted by treborillusion
Both...

Self teach and get shown stuff too/lessons.

Any guitar teacher would probably urge the student to self-study outside the lesson slots, so this falls under "teachers".
Old 03-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #35
loose bowels
You left me...

Someone with more experience than you is necessary to shepherd you through the difficult initial phases, like 'where do I put my finger on the fretboard' or 'is it wrong if I play with only upstrokes'. But at the same time it's easier to learn songs if you can pick/find the songs you want to learn.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #36
PaulRocksGuitar
Banned

Both are good really, no wrong answer. I've kind of done both. For whatever it's worth, I've bought many videos from the website below and have been VERY pleased. I've learned so much from this guy, I think it's the best online guitar lessons site imho. There are general lessons and note for note solos. Great teaching and a lot of free videos too. The site is

http://guitarbyjimi.com/

Paul
PaulRocksGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:21 PM   #37
brooklynjordan

Hi, I teach guitar in Brooklyn, and I've also been a guitar student for many years. I think a motivated musician can go a long way on his or her own with self-teaching, but I also think almost everyone will hit a wall unless there's another person to act as a guide. My teachers have suggested that I learn songs that I never would have learned to play on my own; they weren't my "favorite" songs, and many times they weren't styles of music I would normally play or listen to, but every one of them improved my guitar playing! So I hope as a guitar teacher that I'm opening the minds of my students the same way.

What do other people think?

Jordan
brooklynjordan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: