User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #18741
MapOfYourHead
Die young? Die old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trivial_Pursuit
When I was younger I loved bands like mayhem and darkthrone and didn't really know their political stand point, I gave up listening after I found out about there racist ideologies, and black metal altogether because no one would point me directly in the direction of left-wing black metal. any help would be appreciated, thanks.

lol

How about you seperate the music from the author and just listen to sounds that you like instead. Who really knows what black metal artists are singing about anyway...and if you do, then you've actually read the lyrics....and if that's the case you are totes a loser
MapOfYourHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:03 PM   #18742
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

left wing black metal... wow... what an abomination (not the good kind) that would be

black metal is elitist and anti-everything. leftism = the establishment. black metal = anti-christian. leftism = mutated outgrowth of puritanism. if you are into fashionable nonsense that is completely void of substance, such as leftardism, you may enjoy katy perry, nickelback, etc, whatever is topping the charts atm. black metal is obviously not for you. and even if you manage to get past the lyrics & imagery, and go with the music, you still are not welcome. go away
MHDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 12:01 AM   #18743
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDrunk
left wing black metal... wow... what an abomination (not the good kind) that would be

black metal is elitist and anti-everything. leftism = the establishment. black metal = anti-christian. leftism = mutated outgrowth of puritanism. if you are into fashionable nonsense that is completely void of substance, such as leftardism, you may enjoy katy perry, nickelback, etc, whatever is topping the charts atm. black metal is obviously not for you. and even if you manage to get past the lyrics & imagery, and go with the music, you still are not welcome. go away

this is good advice.
Emenius Sleepus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 11:18 AM   #18744
theogonia777
Miss Kristen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHDrunk
leftism = the establishment [...] leftism = mutated outgrowth of puritanism

I don't think you know what leftism is.
theogonia777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM   #18745
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

I'm not trying to convince anyone otherwise, but why even avoid music that you disagree with ideologically? If I avoided every musician like that, I would hardly listen to music at all. This is of course, assuming that the ideology of the musician is reflected in his music (which may not be the case).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777

I think by mutated outgrowth of puritanism he may be referring to tenets such as freedom of speech/religion which the Puritans were in fact, proponents of (unless you happened to be a Jew lol)

But it is also true that the Puritans were kicked out of Europe for being too conservative for 17th century England ffs.

Quote:
black metal is every edgy 14 year old

Is probably more accurate.

Last edited by beadhangingOne : 11-19-2014 at 03:27 PM.
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:01 PM   #18746
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by theogonia777

I don't think you have an accurate understanding of what the establishment is. Let's figure it out with a useful quote from Voltaire:

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
But it is also true that the Puritans were kicked out of Europe for being too conservative for 17th century England ffs.

Very strange interpretation of history.

They were kicked out of England for being uncontrollable revolutionaries, promptly set up a form of government that far more closely resembles and evolved into the gangster government (sorry, democracy) that runs the place today; and not long after evolved into the abolitionist movement which, surely, you can agree is a more obvious antecedent of progressivism.

I am guessing that it is the puritan practice of forcing their religious beliefs on everyone that lead to the 'too conservative' remark - very understandable given that it is no easy task to identify the social and political forces at work in two eras that are hundreds of years apart. More relevant though is the nature of their belief systems (they are enforcing truth - not religious tenets - according to themselves at least, even though these tenets are moral in nature, much like every last leftist belief that ever existed), and the totalitarian methods of enforcement, that are mirrored by today's progressives.

To completely dispel the notion that puritans were any form of 'conservative' we can simply look at the fact that they were literally defined by their opposition to existing religious institutions as well as basically all previous permutations of those institutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Puritans, by definition, were dissatisfied with the limited extent of the English Reformation, and the Church of England's tolerance of practices which they associated with the Catholic Church.

Last edited by MHDrunk : 11-19-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:40 AM   #18747
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?

I don't care what the Puritans were, they sucked either way. I also don't think they resemble modern day liberalism or conservatism at all. So in a sense I agree with your remark that one would be hard pressed to correlate two political standpoints that exist 300 years apart. Even 30 years apart it starts getting murky. For instance, Nixon would probably have to run as a Democrat today...
beadhangingOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 12:49 AM   #18748
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by beadhangingOne
I don't care what the Puritans were, they sucked either way. I also don't think they resemble modern day liberalism or conservatism at all. So in a sense I agree with your remark that one would be hard pressed to correlate two political standpoints that exist 300 years apart. Even 30 years apart it starts getting murky. For instance, Nixon would probably have to run as a Democrat today...

I don't think that's murky at all. Present day conservatives are just liberals from 20-40 years back, transported to the present day. I like to think of it as a train heading to one of Stalin's gulags; the liberals are driving, and the conservatives are down back making sure nobody escapes.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:35 PM   #18749
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...

Your presence is sorely missed, MH. Musically and personally.
Iím not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural
It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
VampireGoldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:57 PM   #18750
MHDrunk
It's Always Teatime

thank you VG, i still listen to metal quite regularly but the urge to post about music all the time has left me :p i still have a browse from time to time but i just don't find much i want to post about

the good old days of this place though were good... and old...
When aught is heard or seen which holds the soul strongly bent to it, the time passes away and we perceive it not; for one faculty is that which notes it, and another which possesses the undivided soul; the former is as 'twere bound, the latter free.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #18751
DanRev
Boom/Bap?

I'm listening to Windir - 1184 again for the first time in about 10 years.
DanRev is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: