Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #1
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away

Turning a 5-way switch into a 3-way?

Is this possible?

See, I have a Fender Stagemaster. (See here.) As you can see, it has an HSH config right now. Obviously, that switch there is a 5-way switch.

I want to put in 2 actives, namely SD Blackouts. There's room in the cavity for the 9v batteries, and I'm pretty sure I could follow the basic schematics/instructions provided with the pickups and do the solder work to connect everything correctly. (Note: I would be leaving the single coil in as a dummy pickup.)
I have installed pickups in a different guitar before. In fact, I disliked the sound of an active in that other guitar; so, one of the Blackouts is actually from that guitar. It currently has no pickup or strings or whatever, because Fender Squire Bullets (single humbucker; also see here) are shit guitars. I've just been too lazy to do anything with such a shit guitar.

The only hangup would be that 5-way switch. Would I be able to essentially leave 2 of the nodes on empty, thereby causing it work like a 3-way switch? I know it might be better to order a 3-way switch, but I kind of like the idea of having it be a fake "5-way".

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.

Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : 02-06-2013 at 12:12 AM.
crazysam23_Atax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:04 AM   #2
Punisher23j

I would advise ordering the 3-way switch. Makes everything a lot simpler in the end.
Punisher23j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 02:28 AM   #3
MG_Sora
UG's Industrial Designer

Blackouts actually come with a 3 way switch. If you don't have it, I suggest buying one too, they're dirt cheap.

Also, I have a bit of an OCD, so having two 'dead' positions on the switch would drive me insane, but that's just my two cents.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:16 AM   #4
TJHague

You could leave the two empty and have two dead positions, or you could connect the potentially empty lugs to one of the neighboring lugs to avoid having dead positions (ie. two positions for neck and two for bridge, or three positions equivalent to the middle position).

I don't necessarily see the draw of it, but that's why it's your guitar and not mine. If you like the idea, go for it
TJHague is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: