Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Gear Building & Customizing
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-08-2014, 02:57 AM   #6781
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

Jim Jams I have a noob question about grounding.

I've just wired up my tele with some humbucking pickups in both positions.

The neck pup is a-ok with a great signal test when tapping the pup's screws

The bridge pup has no response when I tap the rails however when I create a bridge with my fingers from the bridge plate to the control plate, the rail springs to life and I get output.

So there is obviously a grounding issue.

There is buzz when I touch the bridge, however when I touch the bridge AND the control plate, I get no buzz.

Should I just solder a wire from the bridge plate onto the back of the control cavity to maintain that loop? Have I gone wrong somewhere with the bridge pup wiring?

The original wiring just had a ground from the bridgeplate onto an eyelet screwed into the boy inside the bridge pup route but this isn't cancelling the hum when I test it with the new wiring setup.

Cheers buddy

Stay classy, pit.
N_J_B_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:06 AM   #6782
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

The strings should be grounded (via the bridge) to a main ground point, preferrably not to the control cavity itself. Manufacturers usually don't use enough aquadag (shield paint) to make a good electrical connection.

Try running a wire from the bridge to ground like you said. From your description it sounds like the bridge pup isn't grounded to the control plate with the rest of the circuit. I can't really say for sure without a diagram of how it is currently wired though.
I can't imagine a hand made Russian spec Big Muff would be that desirable. Maybe I'll just use both and crush people with my epic russian gain penis.
Invader Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:15 AM   #6783
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

That actually makes sense. I grounded the bridge pup onto an eyelet in the control cavity. I didn't even think about how it wouldn't ground the control plate. I just thought since the bridge pup is grounded to something it would be good enough

so do you think if I de-solder the eyelet and connect the bridge pup to the back of the volume pot (that is getting quite crowded... ) we'll be alright?

Stay classy, pit.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:26 AM   #6784
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Definitely. (Now watch it **** up... : )

That's what a lot of people don't seem to understand about grounding. Technically it is a misnomer. Ground is a physical electrical connection to the earth itself. However it is almost universally used to mean a common circuit return.

If all your components are not connected to the circuit's return bus, how can you have a complete closed circuit for all those parts? You can't.
I can't imagine a hand made Russian spec Big Muff would be that desirable. Maybe I'll just use both and crush people with my epic russian gain penis.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:08 AM   #6785
N_J_B_B
Nicko.

Perfect explanation you learn something new every day!

Going to do this solder now and we'll see how we go. The test joint worked well.

After this the mod will FINALLY be done ! (it's a bit more than just 2 new pickups ) might make a thread later on in GB&C

Stay classy, pit.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:22 AM   #6786
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Good luck. I'll be looking for the thread.
Old 02-10-2014, 10:26 AM   #6787
Tune my fork

Ok, I know this is unconventional (the pickups normally go to the middle post of volume pots) but will this work? I want it to work as normal. IE independent pickup volumes and an overall tone. Thanks!

Note the tip of the guitar jack connecting to the first volume rather than the tone...

http://i.imgur.com/XZ2GkOU.png?1?6857

Can't seem to get the image to show up. Just click the link.

Last edited by Tune my fork : 02-10-2014 at 10:36 AM.
Tune my fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:10 PM   #6788
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Yep. That'll work.
Old 02-10-2014, 07:59 PM   #6789
Tune my fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invader Jim
Yep. That'll work.

Hmm, that's what I've got but I'm having problems. Both volumes work, but effect both pickups. So both have to be up to hear anything. The tone also makes no audible difference? Are you sure it's ok that the pickup's output is going to the middle lug on the volume?
Tune my fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #6790
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

In your diagram the pickup outputs are going to lug 3. Swapping the connections on lugs 2 and 3 should let each pot affect only one pickup.

As for the tone, make sure the tone cap is grounded and that the pot is still good.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #6791
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

so, quick question. after a bit of google-ing i have yet to find a solution to my problem. I'm planing to wire my guitar with a 2 humbuckers, 2 volume knobs, and no selector switch.

Is there any one with schematics for this?

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
abyssspecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:13 PM   #6792
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

I know almost nothing about wiring, but the first thing I think of after reading your post is a blend knob.

http://www.diyguitarmods.com/blend-pot-wiring.php
Carvin 112 cab in White
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #6793
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

sorta what I'm shooting for, but basically, i just want 2 pots, one for bridge pup volume, one for neck pup volume. essentially, it would kind of be the same thing, only I could blend the differential my self (i.e. 75% bridge/50% neck, so on) without having to also dial in the blend pot. I'm kind of assuming that i can wire the pickups to the designated pot, and then the outs from those pots can both go to the hot side of the jack?

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Old 02-14-2014, 03:36 PM   #6794
YamiFrankc
Mexicano

Its for bass.
But they used to reply someone wanting the same you do, in another forum...

Quote:
if you eliminate the tone knob it's a simple matter of running the hots from each pup to the middle lug of each pot, tying the left lugs together, then running the left leg line to the jack tip and tying all the grounds together...
Carvin 112 cab in White
YamiFrankc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 05:10 PM   #6795
abyssspecter
worlds biggest ego

so, basically, hot to center lug, ground to ground (left lug) on each pickup, running the ground from N.pot to B.pot to ground on the jack, and the output (right lug) from N to B to the hot on the jack?

Guitars:
BC Rich Warlock
Dean 88
ME682-In Progress
Amps:
Carvin SX300
Etc:
Clayton 1.0mm picks
Planet Waves cables.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:55 PM   #6796
Rocketface2112
Face of rockery

hey so im gonna be rewiring my PRS SE custom 22, since the pots are very scratchy anyways and the jack is f*cky

thinking dimarzio crunch lab and a PAF Pro for the neck. ive installed these on another very similar guitar and they sound good. but its not a sure thing yet

what i want to know is how would i wire it so the middle position is both humbuckers on? do i need a special switch? is this even i good idea to do will it sound good??

im may also coil split both aswell..
Peavey Valveking 112 w/Celestion G12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirate
The guitar, the only beautiful female that looks better with the top ON haha

Transformice
Rocketface2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:54 AM   #6797
Invader Jim
Jim'll fix it.

Its the same switch as a Les Paul uses.

Wiring diagram:
http://www.seymourduncan.com/suppor...2h_1v_1t_3w_2pp

Quote:
Originally Posted by abyssspecter
so, basically, hot to center lug, ground to ground (left lug) on each pickup, running the ground from N.pot to B.pot to ground on the jack, and the output (right lug) from N to B to the hot on the jack?

Yes.

Last edited by Invader Jim : 02-17-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:10 PM   #6798
gazman87

Hello there, so i'm fairly new to the whole guitar electronics scene. I do have some soldering skills but i'm a little confused about how to wire this humbucker (and whether anything else needs to be changed to accomodate it).

I have looked all over the wonderful world of the interwebs but I'm more confused than ever, so I thought I would consult people who know what they are doing.

I've included a wiring diagram so far. It's a Yamaha Pacifica 112v so it's a HSS config, 5 blade switch with a coil split on the tone.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/287qp854q0ktrcu/wiring.png

I bought a pickup set from Irongear that includes 2 single coils and the humbucker.

After using a video on youtube, I worked out that the black wires on the new single coils are actually the hot wires (presuming they didn't intentionally wire it this way). These seem to be working fine and they give me noise cancelling as expected when using them both in position 2 (i'm a little hazy on the correct positions :p). I used this thread for the Irongear humbucker diagram but it seems to be wired differently. Again I worked out which ones were hot and for which coil.

The original humbucker in the guitar only had 3 wires, the bare ground, a red and a white. The red wire and bare wire read 14k, the white one and bare wire read 7k, presumably this means that the red wire ties both coils together, whereas the white one is only one of the coils. The guitar could auto split and coil split using the tone switch.

However I didn't get how to apply it to the new humbucker, or whether it would be a straight swap. Especially with the yellow wire coming from the tone split to the middle position on the selector switch. Not to mention the wiring looping around near the green thing and connecting to one of the pins on the tone split.

I understand how the tone split works, the middle pins are the common ones but that's as far as my knowledge goes.

My question is... how do I wire this humbucker so:
A)The humbucker is functioning as it normally would do in any other guitar when in position 5 and the split control against the body?

B)How do I get noise cancelling and auto split when it's in position 4?

C)How can I change to a single coil on the humbucker when I lift up the tone split?

Are these 3 things possible at the same time?

I understand that there are many other people with wiring problems, and that if they are unanswered then they will take priority.

Help me Obi-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope. (Thank you for your time).
gazman87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:42 PM   #6799
Snapple49

Hiya, new to this forum. Sorry to bump in another question, I've searched around a lot but I just can't find my case anywhere...

Anyway, I'm building a lap steel and I'm going to use a combination of a strat style single coil and half a p-bass pickup. I want two tones, one for each pickup, and no volume. I'm not so familiar with guitar wiring so I'm not quite sure what's ok and not, but I suppose this should be doable? And they will go to individual jacks so basically it's a single coil with one tone pot (half a p-bass should be like a single coil right?).

The way I'm thinking is something like this diagram, just ignoring the volume and connecting white wire to left pin on the tone pot, and black wire to ground of the tone pot, but I have no idea how to connect the output:

http://api.ning.com/files/0sapI6xeQ..._1vol_1tone.jpg

Would this work for both pickups? And also, is it a bad idea to run a wire underneath another pickup?

Thanks a lot, appreciate any help!

Last edited by Snapple49 : 02-19-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Snapple49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:51 PM   #6800
guitar99099

Will this wiring work?
and what types of switches should I use? I want the neck pickup switch to be a mini toggle, and the killswitch to be a soft touch black button.

Also, one more question, can I wire this push/pull pot to also split another pickup?(it has f our wires also) If yes, then how would I do it?
Dunlop Crybaby
MXR Classic Distortion
Ibanez DE-7 Delay
Boss GE-7 Equalizer

Last edited by guitar99099 : 03-03-2014 at 10:14 PM.
guitar99099 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: