Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-18-2012, 07:12 PM   #1
Borduks

Jackson slsxmg or Ibanez rgd320z?

Hi, I'm new in the forum and I want to know what guitar buy. After search a lot of guitars I found the ibanez and the jackson that are very good guitars. I want to know which is best in playability, tone and if it is comfortale. My styles are folk, thrash and melodic death metal. Unfortunately in my country (Chile) there are not many guitar shops and I only can test the Ibanez. I hope you can help me to choose a guitar.

PD:Sorry for my english I'm Chilean
Borduks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:34 PM   #2
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Both are great guitars. Play the Ibanez, if you don't like you might like the Jackson.

Either one would be a great choice.

Personally I would go for the Jackson. I believe that model is neck through correct? I prefer those to bolt on.

It all comes down to your preference.
R45VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:17 PM   #3
Tremolo Bum
Addicted to FR

The Jackson is a higher end guitar. That model is a neck through with real EMG pickups and I have had good luck with the Jackson tremolos. I can't really say anything about the Ibanez guitars as I have never played one, but I love my Jacksons.

It's unfortunate that you can't actually test the Jackson and compare the two. I don't want to tell you to get a Jackson if it ends up being uncomfortable for you.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Tremolo Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:09 PM   #4
Borduks

Thank you for the opinion, I think I'll go with the jackson, because I have a rhoads js32t and i like the neck. But I have another question, I'm thinking about the Epiphone explorer 1984 with EMGs. I love explorers but i dont know if it is a comfortable guitar specially for fast playing.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #5
Offworld92
One among the fence.

The Ibanez most likely has a better tremolo, but as mentioned the Jackson does have far better pickups.

Feel aside, I'd go for the Ibanez because pickups are a lot cheaper and easier to swap than trems.

R45VT's advice was great. Play the Ibanez. If you don't like it, go for the Jackson.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Offworld92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
Borduks

Ok thanks for the help guys now i will go for the ibanez, but i will change the pickups and i will put a SD Jb and a SD Jazz, because i like the 80's thrash metal sound.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #7
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I am by no means an expert on 80's tone as I've just started looking into it myself, but I think an SD Distortion would be a much better choice than a JB (ceramic magnet instead of alnico).

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Borduks

And what do you think about the Jackson KVXT? is it a good guitar? i have rhoads and i hear that is almost the same.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:43 PM   #9
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

No offense but there is absolutely nothing wrong with Jackson trems.... I have owned over 10 of them. As long as someone didn't fiddle with the bridge height with the strings on. He is buying new so this is not a concern.

Personally if you are going after Jackson get one that is a neck thru model.

And Offworlds logic does not make sense. If you wanted to get an original floyd rose they are cheaper than 2 decent pick-up or right around the same price. That shouldn't sway you either way.

Play the Ibanez you can play- if you fall in love with it great. If you have any reserves what so ever grab the Jackson.

To answer your question- they are similar- the roads is a little lighter. Not much different in feel.

And crap- you have a Jackson already???? Do you like the feel of the neck? Comfortable to play? If you answered yes to all the above just order one in the style you like.

Last edited by R45VT : 12-19-2012 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:04 AM   #10
Offworld92
One among the fence.

A pair of Dimarzios or SDs are only gonna run $150-160. An OFR will be at least $200. Not sure what prices you're looking at.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 AM   #11
R45VT
Doesn't speak guitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offworld92
A pair of Dimarzios or SDs are only gonna run $150-160. An OFR will be at least $200. Not sure what prices you're looking at.

Apparently I need to put the crack pipe down. 215 for an OFR vs 140-160 for a good set of humbuckers.

I still don't believe there is anything wrong with the trems on the Jacksons. I wouldn't let that change his mind on what guitar he likes. I really think he should try the Ibanez and see if he prefers that over his current Jackson. Really the playability is the most important.
Old 12-20-2012, 05:03 AM   #12
Offworld92
One among the fence.

I agree 100% with what you're saying.

And I didn't really mean to insinuate that Jackson trems were bad... just that the Edge Zero II is probably a little better than the LFRs they come with.

Epiphone Firebird VII
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Peavey Predator USA
Ibanez RG520
Line 6 Pod HD500X
VHT Special 6 Ultra
Pedulz

Rate This Thread: