User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 06-10-2014, 03:59 PM   #61
AnnihiSlateR
Hammerheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1NDSIDE-J
Did anyone actually listen to the album Heroes? I did its shit.

I quite like it. Along with the new Edguy and Freedom Call albums it has been on my running playlist recently. I quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't profess it to be any great masterpiece. Certainly no Art of War either. But it satisfies a mood, and certainly for running it has the beat, and the motivational and triumphant melodies.
AnnihiSlateR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #62
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

I thought it was meh, I kind of lied though I only listened to one song.

Last edited by BL1NDSIDE-J : 06-10-2014 at 05:01 PM.
BL1NDSIDE-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 05:38 PM   #63
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
I thought it was meh, I kind of lied though I only listened to one song.

Why do you edit every post after you make one?

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #64
Scourge441
Eyes With Pride

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamburgerBoy
I don't know any songs like Disposable Heroes at its time. It stripped the thrash riff down to nothing more than a one-note syncopated chug, yet with that it added shifty pacing that I can't compare to anything else at its time.

One note chugging was definitely around in thrash before that - the fact that Disposable Heroes does it more is not an innovation. Not totally sure what "shifty pacing" means so I won't comment on it, but I doubt Metallica were the first to do it.

Quote:
Damage Inc was similarly choppy yet at its speed comes of as closer to the kind of riffing you'd find in a 90s post-thrash band like The Haunted (or at least the thrash that led to it, such as Believer).

You'll have to elaborate more on this. Damage Inc. sounds no more like The Haunted to me than any other 80's thrash band.

Quote:
The Thing That Should Not Be is ridiculously dark and heavy, and again I don't know any song of its time that did quite the same thing. And although the solo is brief, that brief flash of dissonance is the kind of thing death metal wouldn't pick up on for years (see: Harmony Corruption).

This I can agree with in a thrash metal context, though A) I'd argue that Hell Awaits is darker and heavier, and B) doom metal and crust punk were all over the slow-heavy-dissonant thing well before Metallica.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moodster
Mega Death?

Are they like Megadeth?
Scourge441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:09 PM   #65
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphogenesis26
Why do you edit every post after you make one?

Because my grammar is shit and I always end up having to make corrections, also why do you give a ****?
Old 06-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #66
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

Quote:
Because my grammar is shit and I always end up having to make corrections, also why do you give a ****?

I noticed it and I was curious.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #67
BL1NDSIDE-J
Fvck the scene

ZOG made me do it, would have been a better answer to your question. If only I would have thought it sooner!
Old 06-11-2014, 12:35 AM   #68
HamburgerBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scourge441
One note chugging was definitely around in thrash before that - the fact that Disposable Heroes does it more is not an innovation. Not totally sure what "shifty pacing" means so I won't comment on it, but I doubt Metallica were the first to do it.

Forgive my terminology as I'm sure I'll be bungling it a bit, but what I mean is that while many bands had some form of the one-note thrash chug, Disposable Heroes did it differently in how it incorporated a kind of stop-start rhythm and made it about nothing but the rhythm, no descending riff-ending power chord thing ala Exodus and co, no straight-ahead chugging without rests.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdN9731rgFc#t=32s

And as much shit as Lars gets, even in the drumming how he simply decides to hit the snare on the 4th beat instead of the 3rd around 50 seconds in, to produce this kind of lurching effect almost making it feel like the riff changed when it hadn't, was pretty unique on its own for that time. I suppose the very beginning of Chemical Warfare kind of takes a similar approach to thrash riffing, but not to the same extent. It's thrash where the notes they don't play are as important as the ones they do. A few years later that kind of stuff was popping up a lot tech-y leaning thrash like Heathen and Artillery, and I see the slowing down and increased emphasis of syncopation on that kind of riffing as prototypical to the tech-groove style.

Quote:
You'll have to elaborate more on this. Damage Inc. sounds no more like The Haunted to me than any other 80's thrash band.

Admittedly I first saw the lineage because of an UltraBoris review, but I can't help but see a progression from this to this to this. It's just in how rapidly the riffs alternate between 8th and 16th notes to produce a really choppy kind of thrash riff. imo, Hetfield really got his defining style of riffcraft down with multiple songs on Master of Puppets, and I can't think of any other thrash riffcrafters of the time of that album's release that had a similar level of clinical tightness. And I'm not a mega fanboy of his either; Vetterli and 80s Sifringer share my heart there, I just can't think of any examples of thrash bands that played quite like that period of Metallica at that time, when there were plenty that did after it.

Quote:
This I can agree with in a thrash metal context, though A) I'd argue that Hell Awaits is darker and heavier, and B) doom metal and crust punk were all over the slow-heavy-dissonant thing well before Metallica.

Hell Awaits is an entirely different kind of dark and heavy though. In terms of extremity/intensity alone, no question that Master of Puppets had been usurped by dozens of bands. I'd like to hear your examples for doom metal and crust punk though; the former more because I can't think of any (although I will admit that Trouble had some similar material that even incorporated thrashy riffing (and I know Hetfield was a huge Trouble fan anyways)), the latter because my general unfamiliarity with it (outside of a little bit of Amebix and maybe a couple others) would be educational to me. And for a little more clarification, in terms of the solo I'm not just talking about the whammy-rape part (Slayer gets credit for that).
HamburgerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:59 AM   #69
kirkisking
I'm always drunk

Scourge cite your sources

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
I frequent so many big dick forums it's ridiculous
kirkisking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:53 AM   #70
Bensm

Sabaton are really an up and down for me, usually their albums have three or four huge tracks that make you spontaneously grow a beard and chest hair, but for the most part I cant listen to the album as a whole for the sake of the goddamn fillers! This is why im psyched as hell to listen to Heroes and see if they can't prove me wrong!
Bensm is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: