Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #21
reverb66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Man this metal is too easy! I need to challenge myself with some blues!"

Try to play SRV's Rude Mood or Little Wing or Texas Flood - blues can be insanely difficult, and in ways more difficult than metal due to the mastery you need on the attack and articulation of the notes.
reverb66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #22
uto998
Classic Rocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sample246
I don't think I've ever heard anyone say "Man this metal is too easy! I need to challenge myself with some blues!" Unless you were just chugging power chords or something....

To me, playing blues was just learning the blues scale, learning some licks, and then improvising over 12 bar blues backing tracks over and over until you got a feel for it.

I actually have found metal to be easy. For the most part. I've pretty much built up (as anyone else has) my ability to do lead parts and solos and have learned (and with the exception of sweeping, mastered) every textbook skill that I know of. I just think that blues requires more...knowledge if you will to know how to make whatever sound on the guitar you want in order to generate an overall ambiance. That is what I meant.

I also agree with _tim* that both are equally difficult in their respective ways. I don't think you can say either one is easier than the other because you will always come across some song that you will think to be harder than the previous one you learned. The journey of learning guitar never stops and I just decided to take a break from rock/metal/whatever you wanna call it and decided to become comfortable with blues. That's all.

And again, thanks to everyone else for all your comments.

Rate This Thread: