Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Bass Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
ChucklesMginty
Avicii - Levels

Getting double bass lesssons!

While I'm still job hunting... I've decided the moment I do I'm going to call a teacher and rent an upright. As I'm aiming to be a somewhat pro player I figure the benefit of being able to upright as well would make me more 'hireable.'

I have a couple of questions before I start though, so if you're an upright player I'd appreciate the help.

1) How much will being a bass guitarist help in the transition? Fingerboard knowledge will be a plus, but what about left hand technique and plucking? I'm hoping it won't be a case of slaving away for months before I can get a decent sound out of the thing.

2) Roughly how much will I be looking to spend on a monthly rental? I'd prefer an electric for sound and portability, but I've heard mixed things about them. I can't really find anywhere to rent near me, so I'll ask my teacher when I start lessons where to go.

Last edited by ChucklesMginty : 11-15-2012 at 04:14 PM.
ChucklesMginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:15 PM   #2
fudger
Im a ninja of love..

Question one: Double basses are the same tuning so the scale patterns and the notes are in the same order unlike when I started learning cello with is tuned c, g, d, a so you will have some indication of where the notes are but the spacing is a bit different so you will have to get used to that. Also with out the fret lines you will have to be much more presice on finger placement or you will sound off. Your left hand is different because the attack is different. Learn how to bow to it will be good down the line to know how to do it and learn how to read sheet music if you cant already.
As for question to I have no idea but I know there are some websites that rent them, try there?
Bandcamp

I'd rather be Phishing...
fudger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 PM   #3
anarkee
oh the horror!

Question one
In theory its the same. In reality? Its a brand new ball game. Left hand technique is different on upright and there's no way but the right way. It also requires a bit more hand strength than your typical electric. Intonation is a beast to get right and its something I still work on after several years. Learning to bow will help with that. Right hand is also different in the attack. This is why you really need a teacher for upright if you want to be serious.

Question two: I did a "rent to buy" and honestly, I think I paid around 100 USD per month? (Can't remember). Check with your teacher, they should be able to get you hooked up with a good rental place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutter_101
Don't you mean "Why do we alcoholics keep taking about bass?"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LHWok-9xhc Yup.
anarkee is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: