Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-24-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Fretman67

Question Fretboard radius and neck shape for small hands...

Eveything else being equal, would a smaller or larger fretboard radius be easier to play for someone with small hands and short stubby fingers. And what neck shape would be easier to play? I was thinking about the Yamaha Pacifica 112v but read that the radius is 12" whereas the Squier Affinity is only 9.5" radius.

Thanks.

Last edited by Fretman67 : 05-24-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Fretman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:26 PM   #2
cdgraves

Your hands are fine. Play whatever guitar you want.

But I heartily endorse Yamaha instruments, I own several and they are about as high quality as you'll find at any price range. The PAC112 is their cheapest model and it's still better than the Squier or Epiphone student guitars. If you're serious about music, jump up to the next price bracket of Yamaha guitars and you'll have one that competes with Fenders at twice the price.

Last edited by cdgraves : 05-24-2013 at 09:28 PM.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 10:23 PM   #3
Fretman67

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgraves
Your hands are fine. Play whatever guitar you want.

But I heartily endorse Yamaha instruments, I own several and they are about as high quality as you'll find at any price range. The PAC112 is their cheapest model and it's still better than the Squier or Epiphone student guitars. If you're serious about music, jump up to the next price bracket of Yamaha guitars and you'll have one that competes with Fenders at twice the price.

Thanks for the help. I just thought that it would be easier to do chords with smaller hands if the radius was sized different.
Fretman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:13 AM   #4
cdgraves

Hand and neck size don't make a difference. There are little kids who play full size classical guitars with massively wide necks, and adult men who can't reach across more than a few frets on a narrow neck. You'll develop dexterity as long as you practice.
cdgraves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:33 AM   #5
socrfb

I started on an Ibanez Mikro, which has a 22" scale length. For awhile it felt comfortable, then I started taking folk classes at my college 8 months after I started playing and bought a Jasmine S35, which has a 25" scale length. At first I felt the difference and had to consciously be aware of where my fingers were on the Jasmine to make sure I was stretching them enough to avoid buzzing. After playing the Jasmine just about everyday, I became more comfortable with the neck and the more crammed my fingers felt on the Ibanez.

I bought a PRS Tremonti SE almost 5 months ago and the neck feels very similar to the Jasmine. I haven't touched the Ibanez since. What that taught me was that really most of the time small hands don't matter. Sure, some stretches you'll find harder to make initially and there are some extreme stretches that you'll probably never be able to make, but I don't see why you would need to. In the long run, however, it really makes no difference and unless you're a small child, there's no reason not to start on a "normal" neck.

The only thing I miss about the Ibanez is the thinner neck. I'm comfortable with a 25" now, but I do prefer thin necks. It just feels better to me.

As for neck radius though, I can't remember the numbers off the top of my head and Ibanez has changed their site so I can't find that info, but my point still applies. Don't worry about hand size.

Last edited by socrfb : 05-25-2013 at 03:40 AM.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: