Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 09:11 PM   #21
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Scales don't prevent you from hitting dodgy notes anyway. For example if you're working in the key of E minor and a C major chord comes up, hitting an F# will sound pretty dissonant despite the fact that everything going on is completely in key.

Also: scales only restrict you if you let them. Again, it's not a binary thing, just because you're playing in key at one point doesn't mean you can't stop thinking like that and just play by ear the next moment.

Again, you're being too strict and binary about this; no one's going to kill you if you start a jam thinking entirely in scale terms and then stop half way through.

If I absolutely had to say "do this all the time" I would absolutely say play by ear. Your ear is the most important tool you have and one of the things you should be working on most is knowing how a note is going to before you play it. It's not like that though so I won't, I will continue to say: do both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven seagull
Zaphod wins...flawless victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freepower
Another flawless victory for Zaph!

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:58 AM   #22
ToneMasterDelux
UG's Question Kid

Thanks, I Misunderstood, I naturally do go outside of the bounds of scales byways when I am really feeling the song.

I guess the best way to see scales would be like a sonnet, there are limits but with understanding you can say all you need to. That being said I generally like free verse better.
ToneMasterDelux is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: