Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 AM   #1
brianaoa

Good mic for netbook?

hey im currently making a demo cd and recording into a netbook it works good enough. The only problem is the mic situaition the netbook has one but it sounds bad. So can recomend me a good mic that runs into the computer thats not to much over a 100 or less. also im recording the guitar and piano parts with a digitech rp250
thanks for the help guys
brianaoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
GaryBillington
Grumpier than normal.

If you want to get good recordings using your netbook, you'll need a proper interface to connect to it. There's a sticky for that sort of thing.
Laney VC30 210 + GS112VE cab
Jet City JCA22H
GaryBillington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
Tune my fork

^ not true, try the Audio Technica AT2020 USB

What are you recording specifically?

Last edited by Tune my fork : 11-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Tune my fork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #4
brianaoa

well like i said im making a demo cd of songs ive written and example il do the drums through the mic (i have a drumset in the room) then guitar parts thorugh the rp250 and i run my piano through the rp250 on a clean guitar setting
Old 11-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #5
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tune my fork

Not true either. The USB models of mics are known to not sound as good as their XLR counterparts.

Honestly, your best bet is buying an Audio Interface instead of a USB mic. Invest in a Focusrite Saffire 6 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Both the same, the Scarlett is newer) and your set.

Theres no point to micing a guitar unless you've got an expensive Amp so you can use free VST guitar sims. With Piano, there are hundreds of Virtual Pianos you can use via MIDI in your DAW. For vocals, you'll need a mic (obviously) and the non-USB AT2020 is a good way to go.

Edit: Since you mentioned drums in the post above me while I was writing this. Don't waste time trying to mic a drumkit with 1 mic. There are virtual drums like Steven Slate Drums that sound miles better than anything you can produce.

I know you're only looking to do a simple demo but considering most small bands are doing full albums this way nowadays, don't shoot yourself in the foot with shitty gear.

Last edited by lockwolf : 11-09-2012 at 10:42 AM.
lockwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
Tune my fork

ok, well for drums a stereo pair would be nicer, also you should consider drum vst softwares. As getting a good drum sound can be difficult with limited mics. You definitely want a condenser though, as it will be great for vocals and acoustic guitar too.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #7
Tune my fork

you could get cheap drum mics for under 100 quid:

http://www.audiomate.co.uk/proddetail.php?prod=AT160 (u would still need overheads)

But then u'd need an multi input interface which would be another 200
Old 11-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Tune my fork

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwolf
Not true either. The USB models of mics are known to not sound as good as their XLR counterparts.

Honestly, your best bet is buying an Audio Interface instead of a USB mic. Invest in a Focusrite Saffire 6 or Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 (Both the same, the Scarlett is newer) and your set.

Theres no point to micing a guitar unless you've got an expensive Amp so you can use free VST guitar sims. With Piano, there are hundreds of Virtual Pianos you can use via MIDI in your DAW. For vocals, you'll need a mic (obviously) and the non-USB AT2020 is a good way to go.

Edit: Since you mentioned drums in the post above me while I was writing this. Don't waste time trying to mic a drumkit with 1 mic. There are virtual drums like Steven Slate Drums that sound miles better than anything you can produce.

I know you're only looking to do a simple demo but considering most small bands are doing full albums this way nowadays, don't shoot yourself in the foot with shitty gear.

"Recomend me a good mic that runs into the computer that's not to much over a 100"

What's not true about my comment? You can get good quality out of a usb mic. Obviously a u87 runing through a neve console will better. but for under a hundred quid good luck finding an audio interface and condenser that will better the at2020 usb's quality.

But i agree on the drums, as I said vsti's are the way to go, and i think an audio interface would be a better purchase in the long run as it will improve your guitar sound aswell.

Last edited by Tune my fork : 11-09-2012 at 11:00 AM.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM   #9
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
"Recomend me a good mic that runs into the computer that's not to much over a 100"

What's not true about my comment? You can get good quality out of a usb mic. Obviously a u87 runing through a neve console will better. but for under a hundred quid good luck finding a audio interface and condenser that will better the at2020 usb's quality.

Any Interface + an AT2020 (Non-USB) > AT2020 USB

Like I said, the USB versions of mics are never as good as a non-USB version of that same mic. Hell, even just looking at the frequency responses of the 2, the AT2020 USB doesn't capture any frequencies above 16,000hz and rolls off frequencies above 10,000hz whereas the XLR AT2020 goes as high as 20,000hz & rolls off around 16,000hz. This makes a difference
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM   #10
Tune my fork

Yes I completely agree but try finding that for just over 100 pounds. The fact is for that kind of money my suggestion is still the best surely?
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

Quote:

Mic technically houses an audio interface anyway... so USB mics are your audio interface, if you have one, as they contain the necessary features to be classes as one (i.e preamp + A/D converters, mainly).

This is also why many USB mics aren't as good as their typical counterparts - the built-in interface is rarely of high quality as it is aimed at the entry-level market, so the preamps and conversion are both cheap and lacklustre, even if the same mic capsule etc. are used for both versions.

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:15 AM   #12
lockwolf
Recording's AdBot/Dick

Quote:
Yes I completely agree but try finding that for just over 100 pounds. The fact is for that kind of money my suggestion is still the best surely?

Considering I can find a Focusrite Saffire 6 for $100 USD (since they are being replaced with the Scarlett 2i4. The differences are pretty minimal) & a used AT2020 for $50-$75 (which $160 is roughly equivalent to 100 Pounds according to a quick Google search), I think I'd go with the interface & mic.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:20 AM   #13
Tune my fork

Ok well if you can get those for that cheap then yeah it's your best bet ts. But purely for drums at this stage get a vsti.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #14
brianaoa

thanks for all the help guys im gona save up and get this stuff
Old 11-09-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths

My suggestion would be to get a cheap condenser (like the AT2020) and a basic one or two channel interface (such as the Saffire 6), and use it to record guitar and piano parts (are you miking a piano or triggering a piano synth?). Then program the drums in your DAW with the piano roll and some samples (assuming you don't have the money to spare for a dedicated drum programmer like EZDrummer etc.).

Music Stuff

Facebook - Website - YouTube

DisarmGoliath is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: