Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Drums
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 05-04-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
metallicafréak
SLAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEERR!

Question What do you think about this drumkit?

Hello, I am thinking about getting drums, so after googling and researching for a few days I found used Tama Imperialstar, which I was told is very good, with cymbals for 450 euros,
while I found that any new Tama Imperialstar kit is no less than 650euros here where I live.

http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Tama...61961-oglas.htm

The ad is in Serbian, so I'll translate what I think is important,
wood: Tama Imperialstar 22,12,13,16 all plastic remo weatherking pinstripe
drum: Yama Stage Custom 14, platic remo weatherking eperor X new
cymbals: raid amati 20; crash paiste 502 16; fuz headliner 14
he says hi-hat leg is broken but still usable, kit is old about 30 years, he spent 10 years playing it and upgrading it..

anyway, i couldnt find anything better, what do you think?

Last edited by metallicafréak : 05-04-2013 at 09:34 AM.
metallicafréak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #2
DavesCrusade

Tama Imperialstars are pretty good. I'd say their maybe a step below professional-level so the shells should be fine. 30 years is a lot of time though. Have they been sitting in storage or have they been used recently? 30 years can do a lot to the wood.

Personally, I don't like the weatherking pinstripe heads but they can be replaced easily if they bother you so that's nothing to worry about.

The hi-hat leg really bothers me. I'm sure it can be used but you'll probably have a lot of wobbling.

Can't say much about the cymbals. If it's being played about every day, most cymbals will last about 3 years before there's too much of a sound difference. It's hard to tell how clean or used the cymbals are but from the pics they seem to be in decent shape.

Seems like a pretty decent deal.
DavesCrusade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
Homestyle_Joe

If the shells are in good shape, then I say its worth it. Tama is a great drum company. I like remo heads, so I think those are great to have. The cymbals are meh to me, but with the money you are saving on the set, you can get some different cymbals and a new hi-hat stand. The hi-hat stand is what I'd replace first, though.

I have a ludwig, have had it for years, but I've always said that the next set I'd buy would be a Tama.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:04 PM   #4
funkbass369
UG Senior Member

Take a look at gretsch kits. Specifically the Catalina maple kit. Usually doesn't come with cymbals, but you can buy a set of cheap cymbals and upgrade those later. You won't be able to tell a good cymbal tone between a bad one at first anyways.
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
funkbass369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
Second Rate

Original Imperialstars are pretty good drums. The exterior looks like it's in good shape, but I would be curious as to what condition the coating on the inside of the shells is in, as well as the bearing edges. If there are not any real problems with the drums, i say go for it.
Second Rate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #6
metallicafréak
SLAAAAAAAAYEEEEEEERR!

Thank you for the feedback, however, the guy selling had already sold the drumkit, so I have been looking for another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkbass369
Take a look at gretsch kits. Specifically the Catalina maple kit. Usually doesn't come with cymbals, but you can buy a set of cheap cymbals and upgrade those later. You won't be able to tell a good cymbal tone between a bad one at first anyways.

The problem is that we have only 2-3 good music shops in the entire country, there aren't many drum kits and they are all expensive. I found new gretsch kit, catalina maple, but they're all above 600 euros, without cymbals. My only hope are those ads, always hoping someone will put something good.

I did come across a used Gretsch Black Hawk, with cymbals 480 euros. What do you think of those?
http://www.kupujemprodajem.com/Gret...ter_id=22795802

toms 10, 12,14 ;bass 22; snare 5,5; cymbals 14, crash 16 , raid 20
pics in the link

Last edited by metallicafréak : 05-07-2013 at 03:40 PM.
metallicafréak is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: