Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #21
tenfeetup

I was trying to decide between the PRS Santana SE and the Gibson LPJ. I played both in a music shop and opted for the PRS because, basically, I liked its looks a little better. When I finally got the PRS that I ordered from Musciansfriend.com and plugged it into my amp and effects equipment, I completely hated its tone and after examining the guitar more thoroughly in the comfort of my own home I found that the PRS SE's are really just over priced cheaply made instruments.

I sent the PRS back and ordered a Gibson LPJ...and dude, I'm glad I did because they are sweet sounding guitars!! They may not look pretty (matter of opinion I guess) but they play and sound awesome. My Gibson was setup perfectly right out of the box--no fret buzz, no need to adjust the neck, no need to adjust the bridge, and no need to set intonation--everything was dead on. All I had to do was tune it and play!! The PRS did sound good or play good even after going through extensive attempts to get it get everything adjusted and set the intonation. I'm just sayin', if you're trying to decide between the American made Gibson and a Korean made PRS, the better choice is the American made Gibson--they're just built better.

Just my opinion, take it for what it's worth but I think it a pretty good opinion since I've been playing and gigging for 20+ years. :-) ~Cheers~
tenfeetup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 10:46 PM   #22
ikey_

wait 1000 bucks? are you overseas? for 1000 you should be looking at a far better guitar.

regardless, out of those 2, PRS. the PRS SE series are really some of the best guitars on the market for what they are...and can be had around the 400 buck mark easy used. they really have a great budy, neck, feel, weight, etc for a low end guitar.

in general i have a lot of contempt for gibson, especially the lower end models. i feel like dollar for dollar the PRS is a better value. well, in gnerally i feel like many other guitars are better value than almost any gibson or fender.....which is why i just bought a carvin.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: