Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #21
dazzzer30

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorrre
Hello I've come to you fine folks today with a problem. I have not played my guitar in 6 weeks, I want to I really do, but my anxiety is stopping me from playing. I'm very anxious about messing up and it's stopping me from even picking up my guitar as I just have the mindset that I will mess up and I cannot play anything fluidly. I have been told to just suck it up but this is harder for me to do so, I do not mean to draw a sympathy card or anything but I do have a diagnosed anxiety disorder and this makes trying to make me believe that i'm playing things well far harder to do and almost everything i play seems sup-par to me. So I need advise on what I should is there anyone with a problem like this that overcame it or does anyone have any advice in a situation like this?
until you learn know one gives a shit if you mess up or not but yourself then you will always be scared - I had a similar problem but mine was I was scared of sounding to good , A lot of people fear playing guitar around people but play great on there own . Depending on how much you love guitar nothing will stop you from playing guitar and I donít care if you have anxiety or social problems we all have problems .
dazzzer30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:54 PM   #22
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.housley.7
One does not simply "try not to worry..." when you have anxiety. Trying not to worry is one of the surest ways to make the anxiety worse.

I think we need to make a distinction. Is this ANXIETY - as in a serious illness that interferes with your happiness? Or is it 'being a little anxious'? There's a huge difference and you're not going to get good advice unless we clarify that. Dave is treating you as if you need to just need to toughen up and that's okay if you're just a little anxious but it's terrible advice if you have ANXIETY.

In america the anti-anxiety meds are presciption meds that you won't be able to get without discussing things with your doctor.
Thorrre - you SHOULD go to see a professional first. I didn't look at your profile when i made my first post but i can see that you've listed new zealand as your location. I have no idea whether you can get ativan over the counter there but I wouldn't recommend self-medicating with something like that.

Oh I didn't mean that at all. I'm well aware that anxiety can be a serious problem, and that's it's not just a matter of "manning up". I'm certainly not suggesting "just toughening up", I hate people who act like that, it's ridiculous. Sorry if it came across that way. I was just making suggestions which I thought might help. Or might not. As I pointed out in my post.

I would point out that my main (and first) suggestion was to talk it over with his doctor before doing anything else (which I'd assume he's already doing since he said it was diagnosed). And I'd also point out that I was the first person in the thread who actually spelt that out in black and white, so why you're jumping on me for not doing that, I don't quite understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Facecut
I think it is fairly obvious that one does not simply take proposed drugs. Where I come from you only get them via prescription. The proposals are obviously meant for discussing with your physician.

no worries. I just think these things are worth spelling out, just in case.

Also the guy who suggested he took up alcohol or marijuana I'm guessing wasn't meaning he should discuss that with his doctor.

er....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Last edited by Dave_Mc : 08-17-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:59 PM   #23
Feeby

I know just how you feel mate. Except it's almost reversed in my case because playing the guitar (and I use the term 'playing' very lightly!) is the only thing that helps with my anxiety. My dad is dying of cancer, he was only diagnosed 2 months ago and now he's almost bedridden and developing pressure sores, although we're getting a lot of support from the Macmillan nurses and he's getting a new special mattress to help stop them from getting worse. Anyway, I think we're almost in the same boat there! I've suffered with anxiety and depression since I was a child and I hadn't picked up a guitar in 10 years before my dad became ill but now it's the only thing that helps me relax. I can't watch tv or read a book, I can only either listen to music or practice the guitar.

Have you thought about playing badly on purpose? I don't mean learning bad habits, I mean by just playing around, not trying to sound good, just giving yourself permission to mess around, call it practicing your fingers or something. Take the pressure off yourself by not trying to sound good and then maybe you'll feel more relaxed? It might be something different for you but what has helped me is just by practicing difficult (for me) chord changes and just playing them over and over and not even trying to make it sound like a song, just practicing because I know that each time helps in the long run even if it doesn't feel like it at the time.

I'm probably no help at all, but I just wanted to tell you that you'll be fine. This will pass.
Feeby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:27 PM   #24
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

Really sorry to hear that about your dad

er....

Quote:
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Feeby

Thanks Dave. My dad is from Dublin. My mum is from Mayo. my maiden name is Mc also.
Old 08-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #26
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

er....

Quote:
Old 08-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #27
Feeby

slŠinte mhaith !

How are you OP? Please keep us updated !
Old 08-22-2013, 01:44 PM   #28
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

I don't speak any irish

er....

Quote:
Old 08-31-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
Feeby

What, not even Feck?
Old 08-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #30
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

er....

Quote:

Rate This Thread: