User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-15-2016, 09:01 PM   #6561
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikewer
There's nothing wrong in principal with reading the bible. The main problem is... Which one? There are so many different versions and translations and even the major religions argue endlessly over which one is the most "authentic".... While in truth none of them may be particularly so.

As New Testament scholar Bart Ehrman says...."We are looking at copies of copies of copies"..... The original texts do not exist.

For instance, many of the more fundamentalist Protestant sects have chosen the King James.... But scholars admit this is a dreadful translation. The good King wanted a pretty English bible, not a particularly accurate one.

I ordered the NIV (New International Version) Bible from Amazon to read. From what I've read it's more thorough than the King James one.

But yeah, at times it almost feels like Americans arguing over the wording of the 2nd Amendment. You can't really put the whole truth about reality into language, even written language, and expect it to not be anything more than that. Language is complex and evolving, and may or may not represent what it wants to represent. So you can't have the same exact text be the one determining everything for eternity because language evolves and thus the interpretation of it will too. But you also can't really keep translating the text over and over to get on with the times because said process of interpretation and rewriting could be lossy.

So yeah, everybody's fucked, at least if you want to depend on an immutable piece of written text for absolute philosophical and historical references.
gonzaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 03:10 PM   #6562
genghisgandhi
Kristaps Porzingis

any opinions on Parfit? feel like he's been discussed in here before
genghisgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:04 AM   #6563
Jehannum
Bant

Quote:
Originally Posted by genghisgandhi
any opinions on Parfit? feel like he's been discussed in here before

Good rhythm guitarist.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:10 AM   #6564
ali.guitarkid7
LENNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzaw
I ordered the NIV (New International Version) Bible from Amazon to read. From what I've read it's more thorough than the King James one.

But yeah, at times it almost feels like Americans arguing over the wording of the 2nd Amendment. You can't really put the whole truth about reality into language, even written language, and expect it to not be anything more than that. Language is complex and evolving, and may or may not represent what it wants to represent. So you can't have the same exact text be the one determining everything for eternity because language evolves and thus the interpretation of it will too. But you also can't really keep translating the text over and over to get on with the times because said process of interpretation and rewriting could be lossy.

So yeah, everybody's fucked, at least if you want to depend on an immutable piece of written text for absolute philosophical and historical references.

I was gifted an annotated NIV by a friend. One of the best gifts I've gotten. It's great that it exercises a sort of authentic "the fuck do we know?" attitude when it comes to certain words and phrases and their translations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossenrot
ali, you're really cute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndTheRapture51
ali wants to fuck me i just want him hit by a large object at high velocity tbf
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:30 AM   #6565
captaincrunk
See, I Got News for You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali.guitarkid7
I was gifted an annotated NIV by a friend. One of the best gifts I've gotten. It's great that it exercises a sort of authentic "the fuck do we know?" attitude when it comes to certain words and phrases and their translations.

Annotations are invaluable, because we won't read the bible the way christians will so its harder for us to really nail down the meanings.
#15 in the 2012 top 100
#23 in the 2010 top 100

NEW UG ALBUM! GET UG ELECTRONIC ALBUM: DISC THREE TODAY!

Quote:
Originally Posted by element4433
I respect crunk.
captaincrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 03:33 PM   #6566
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Which youtube channels about philosophy do you guys prefer the most?

Asking this since Crash Course Philosophy just got started (and dunno, might be good):

These ones I like too:
Wireless Philosophy: https://www.youtube.com/user/WirelessPhilosophy/videos
Wisecrack (8-bit Philosophy): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6...0SU0jUWnWh9ZzEQ

I have subscriptions to these channels too, but I quite haven't gotten around to watch many videos from them (there are too many and are pretty long >_> ):
https://www.youtube.com/user/gbisadler/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/johnsa...oiology3/videos
Old 02-24-2016, 10:46 PM   #6567
Aeolian Harmony
center embedded

Wisecrack is pretty fun. Also chopping down topics into one bit at a time works for me.

Gresham College has a neat YT channel as well, though not exclusively oriented toward philosophy.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1...Bvjdr8m9KJ2Fx7A
Aeolian Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 01:50 AM   #6568
ali.guitarkid7
LENNY

I've always enjoyed The School of Life. It's a fantastic little channel.

https://www.youtube.com/user/schooloflifechannel

Quote:
ali, you're really cute.

Quote:
Old 03-06-2016, 06:36 PM   #6569
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

There seems to be a disdain for philosophy in today's scientific culture, even more so with popular science (like people like Bill Nye, Neil Tyson, etc, do daily).
Is this something that really exists out there in the world (this kind of disdain or ignorance), or is it just punctual to some specific people/ateas? Is philosophy a "joke" in other areas of science, and maybe even others (economy, law, etc)?

Is there anything our (as in, global) educational systems can do to improve this? Or is it something that just has to come from within one's society and care about it collectively (rather than be something you just "teach" in school)?

For instance, over here in the high school we went to we had a philosophy course that teached some stuff but was mostly historical and "showing people's theories", and I don't think many of the people from that class took much of it. Basically, it was more about studying philosophy just to study it, and not to learn that it's something you have to apply everywhere in your life and everywhere you apply yourself to.

I think philosophy should be a small part of every course and teachings and make it known it's philosophy and important to do so, just to show that it's not just something you think about when drinking scotch by the fireplace once per month, but is something you have to think about daily (and you may in fact unknowingly do so many times a day). For instance, many subjects and courses should have an "ethics" class just to analyze the purpose of doing what you do in that subject and its implications, as well as one analyzing the purpose of said subject even existing in the first place. I go to Computer Science/Engineering uni and I've rarely had a class like that for instance (and it's somewhere which really needs it, you know, to avoid our future AI overlords and shit).
Old 03-06-2016, 06:40 PM   #6570
Banjocal
Feck

Even in pitholes as deep as Youtube comments sections people are tearing Nye a new one over this, though

he'll either have to resign himself to logical positivism or some ridiculous variant (not gounna happen), keep relying on strawman arguments and arguments from ignorance (unlikely), or go back on himself to save face

Last edited by Banjocal : 03-06-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Banjocal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #6572
Jehannum
Bant

This thread, like philosophy, is dead.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 09:25 AM   #6573
Banjocal
Feck

bad feels
Old 03-16-2016, 09:29 AM   #6574
JustRooster
Shoulder Shrugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjocal
Even in pitholes as deep as Youtube comments sections people are tearing Nye a new one over this, though

he'll either have to resign himself to logical positivism or some ridiculous variant (not gounna happen), keep relying on strawman arguments and arguments from ignorance (unlikely), or go back on himself to save face

I think it's quite unrepresentative of the general idea of 'science' that their advocates are chasing likes and shares just as often as celebrities from movies and pop songs.

I think it causes them to step into realms with their beliefs that they might not have with some more forethought. To deny the utility of philosophy is ludicrous.

MAKINLATTES FOR PREZ
JustRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 02:47 AM   #6575
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Why are most "big" philosophies based so much on stories, narrations and characters? It muddles all concepts and shit, specially when you have several philsophers talking about similar stuff but calling it and working with it very differently.

Like, was it necessary to call a type of person "übermensch"? Other than fueling Nietzsche's narration when trying to "explain" these concepts, how does it help specifying the actual philosophical concept without it being tied to the whole of Nietzsche's work and ideas?

You need more effort trying to learn the philosopher's custom language rather than understanding the concepts themselves.

Surely some philosopher has already pointed this out and created a new custom term/concept for it that we need to learn too (if I had to guess it'd be Wittgenstein)
Old 04-17-2016, 10:06 AM   #6576
Aeolian Harmony
center embedded

I've noticed similar tendencies among "big" philosophers. If you begin from the narrative side, then fiction writers like Dostoevsky can be viewed in much the same way.
Old 04-17-2016, 12:39 PM   #6577
ali.guitarkid7
LENNY

Writers are philosophers who can write. Which is neither exactly a dismissal of philosophers who can't write, nor some sort of elevation of status of writers as "philosophers". Just that narrative is, by nature, well-structured and metaphorical thought.

It used to be that I didn't give a shit about the terms and just learned about the concepts from my favorite writers (usually film critics), but jargon like "signification" and what not has helped me discuss certain ideas with more ease. But it does get tedious.

Quote:
ali, you're really cute.

Quote:
Old 04-17-2016, 12:57 PM   #6578
Banjocal
Feck

This is mostly a "continental" problem. Analytics rarely have such an issue with concepts they work with.

what are called continental philosophies often deal with things like existential problems, language theory, phenomenology, "metaphilosophy" and the like. By nature, it deals with things that aren't typically workable through scientific or rigorously logic-based lines of reason. Lines between a priori and a posteriori knowledge can be considerably blurred, and there's seldom a rigorous, standardised method to figuring out arguments. And typically, history is greatly accounted for.

Because reason is being constantly built on, and because there's a greater attention to history, it's less a line of abstract, isolated examples of thinking and more a linear stream of constantly refining ideas. Thus why people like Bauman and Zizek have 10,000000000000000' books (they also need the money). When describing these ideas, metaphor and allegory become useful for some.

Last edited by Banjocal : 04-17-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 10:36 PM   #6579
Aeolian Harmony
center embedded

All moral beliefs promoting ethical guidelines can be objective statements in reference to a speaker.

e.g.,
"Capital punishment should be prohibited."
"Albert thinks capital punishment should be prohibited."

Subjectivity is removed (perhaps not the best term) when the subject is acknowledged and included as part of the ethical statement itself.

It has a narrowing effect and it could be argued that now what is (perhaps) an objective moral-ethical statement is relevant only to the acknowledged subject. However, does not necessarily follow that it is entirely useless for communal decision-making. It leads to an acknowledgement that intersubjectivity could be a conceptual framework for considering how individual moral beliefs inform ethical guidelines within a community.

e.g.,
Speaker A: "I think we should give TS' mum a rest."
Speaker B: "Yes, I also believe we should give her a rest."
Speaker C: "She does look exhausted. I agree with that suggestion."
Speaker D: "I believe we should continue. This ticket to Poundtown isn't expired yet. Chugga chugga, choo chooooo."
Old 05-14-2016, 10:48 PM   #6580
gonzaw
UG's Secret Agent

Well, you can take any statement at all and make it a true statement with that reasoning

"Santa Claus exists" -> "Albert believes Santa Claus exists"

Don't really see what it achieves, specially in ethics
Yes, ethics exists under a certain context that should be taken into consideration when an ethical statement is made. But in that context you can think about whether it's true or not, or at what level. You don't gain much by just acknowledging it was stated by a certain person or believed by a certain group. At one point you will need to make a judgement of it

Rate This Thread: