Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-21-2012, 09:13 AM   #1
wambutto

Solid state amp

hi guys. Planning on buying a new amp for my jam room, which is around 400 sq ft in area. I use a dunlop mxr distortion+ pedal and a few other effects pedals. I can only afford a solid state model and the amp should be loud enough to be heard over the drums. No need for any modelling amps. Budget is less than $400. How much power in rms would I need? Any model suggestions?
wambutto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:20 AM   #2
Robbgnarly

You can get a diecent Tube amp for your budget.
Location?New or used? types of music?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
wambutto

I would go for a new amp. I am frm india, however most of the stuff in US is also available here. Type of music- Classic rock, mainly lead.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
wambutto

I know i can get a decent tube amp, but i would want it to be loud enough over the drums and the main problem is maintenance as the amp will probably be subjected to rough use. I also cant afford to replace tubes every now and then.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:33 AM   #5
wambutto

Another problem with Tube amps is they have their own individual tone, so they will mask the tone of my stompboxes. i would like to have have an idea of how my tone will sound on stage.If i am not wrong solid state amps will give clean tones
Old 10-21-2012, 09:38 AM   #6
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wambutto
I know i can get a decent tube amp, but i would want it to be loud enough over the drums and the main problem is maintenance as the amp will probably be subjected to rough use. I also cant afford to replace tubes every now and then.

A 15-20 watt tube amp is plenty to get over most drummers. But it is your money, so look at Peavey Vyper,Vox Vt, Fender Mustang.
I know you said you didn't want a modeling amp, but I really don't ever sugest a SS amp for playing with a drummer.

Tube amps are not un-reliable, and if you will take a look maybe the Peavey Windsor Studio 15, Peavey Classic 30, Laney Cub, Laney AOR, Jet City JCA2112rc amps are deff worth a shot. In the last 6 yrs I have only had 1 tube amp blow a tube all the rest still function fine. Yes I have retubed them, but I still have all the original tubes as spares and I gig constantlyso I deff put them through their paces.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Another problem with Tube amps is they have their own individual tone, so they will mask the tone of my stompboxes. i would like to have have an idea of how my tone will sound on stage.If i am not wrong solid state amps will give clean tones

SS amps will color your tone just as much as a tube amp.
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
|Long|
String Theory

Roland Cube 60x would be the only SS I ever see and would recommend. I've heard that the 60w is enough for drummers, but there is always the 80w model at well.

Yes, it has modeling in it, but the cleans are out of this world.
Hydroxic acid, kills thousands of people every year. Studies have shown lakes and rivers all over North America contain high levels hydroxic acid. Currently governments have taken no action against this life threatening chemical.
|Long| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:52 AM   #9
boomershadow

Most you see on here will pimp the tube amps, but my SS amp kicks ass. It has an awesome clean sound, and my pedals give me all the distortions I need.
boomershadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
kyle62
Need a dispenser here!

A cheap little Peavey Bandit would be nice as a jam room amp. I'm also going to throw out my budget favourite, the Line6 Flextone II.

Head honcho at Stubborn Sound!
https://soundcloud.com/stubbornsound
kyle62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Ian_the_fox
Banned

Quote:
A tube amp is 10x more likely to be heard over a drummer than a SS amp. And sound better. As for maintenance, maintaining a tube amp isn't as difficult as the Internet makes it out to be. If you plan on doing anything serious with a band than a tube amp is what you should be getting.

That said, look for a used Marshall DSL401 combo. They should be able to be found easily within your budget.
Ian_the_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
bassmastamitch
Isn't good at bass

Do you get all your distortion from your pedals?
Old 10-21-2012, 12:42 PM   #13
MaaZeus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle62
A cheap little Peavey Bandit would be nice as a jam room amp. I'm also going to throw out my budget favourite, the Line6 Flextone II.

I would also say to check out Peavey Bandit. Though I have experience with its little brother Envoy only but I guess they are similar enough, Bandit being just much bigger and powerful.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: