Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM   #61
Junglie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob78
I literally cannot do this. I wouldn't say it makes me a wuss either. It's a genuine phobia. You wouldn't tell someone depressed to "Cheer the **** up" would you? I can't even make myself go there in the knowledge of this.

Think you'll find I would.

But yeah, I had a terrible phobia of needles, then when I joined the navy I got "man up" and the needle was smashed in. Still scared but it's 10 seconds of your life
Junglie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #62
metacarpi
The GTs new Grundy0

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt mittens
sorry i'm not an expert on the subject, even though i had to study this stuff for an exam just keep it at persons with diabetis and needle phobia are pretty much screwed and those blood sugar tests hurt like hell i can assure you

They don't hurt! I'm a diabetic, and have been for.... 18 years now. I'm 26 and was diagnosed when I was 8.

Maybe you just get used to them!

I may be a tiny chimney sweep, but I've got a great big brush
metacarpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:43 AM   #63
lt mittens
milfhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi
They don't hurt! I'm a diabetic, and have been for.... 18 years now. I'm 26 and was diagnosed when I was 8.

Maybe you just get used to them!

i think it was because the pen was put to the highest stance,because my blood flow wasn't optimal in my fingertips. i was a guinea pig for a classmate that time
lt mittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:15 AM   #64
lushacrous
baby missiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by metacarpi
Came in here to say the same thing.

So, +1 I guess.

let's make this a Diabetic thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
lushacrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #65
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
I literally can't make myself. And the thought of dealing with it freaks me out, as that ultimately leads to the same thing.

You misuse 'literally' a lot...

The simple fact is that you have the physical capability to do this. If someone were to stick a gun to your head (electrodes on your balls...whatever...) I'm reasonably sure you could accomplish the task...

At the risk of being trite, courage isn't the absence of fear (since any idiot can attempt something when they aren't worried about it) courage is acknowledging your fear and doing what needs to be done anyway.

Frankly if you won't even talk to a health care professional about it, you have bigger problems than a needle phobia.

Lest you think I don't understand, I had this very phobia for many years.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #66
CodChick
UG's Cute Canadian :3

Location: Under your bed... waiting for you to fall asleep. >_>
Focus on something else in the room and not the needle. And don't psych yourself out before going in there. Relax.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjosh
bunnies are cute, but they're little bastards
CodChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #67
Eastwinn
Banned

there are really no relaxation techniques that will help you with this. many people do not understand that phobias have more to do with the sensation of physical objects (a needle) than with pain, or something else plainly undesirable.

there are treatment paths for phobias, but it seems you don't have very much time. maybe you should talk to your doctor. they probably have experience with people like you.
Eastwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #68
metalblaster
UG Newbie

Just do it. Mind over matter my friend. It's all in your head. Think about some soldiers who had to carry six inch needle packs on them in case of nerve gas attacks and had to inject themselves at any given time if there was an attack. In the case of VX gas, that needle has to be plunged right into your heart. Your case isn't a life and death thing, but think of it that way, just ****ing do it. Man up, grow some chest hair and ****ing take the needle that you'll barely feel. Christ, the needle is so small you could probably just have the nurse rub some lidocaine on the area beforehand and you won't feel shit.
metalblaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:35 PM   #69
Arby911
Finding the Pattern

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalblaster
Just do it. Mind over matter my friend. It's all in your head. Think about some soldiers who had to carry six inch needle packs on them in case of nerve gas attacks and had to inject themselves at any given time if there was an attack. In the case of VX gas, that needle has to be plunged right into your heart. Your case isn't a life and death thing, but think of it that way, just ****ing do it. Man up, grow some chest hair and ****ing take the needle that you'll barely feel. Christ, the needle is so small you could probably just have the nurse rub some lidocaine on the area beforehand and you won't feel shit.

You've been watching too many movies.

Atropine auto-injectors, which is what the military issues, aren't anything like what you saw on "The Rock"...

Old 12-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #70
raoooos
///////////

Just try and forget that they're actually injecting a hellish mind-altering serum into your bloodstream.
Old 12-04-2012, 04:43 PM   #71
Guodlca
Registered Abuser

Well, phobias are developed, and thus can be got rid off. Perhaps google and read about needles a bit, become acknowledged with them more.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:00 PM   #72
jjfeu662
Celestia

Quote:
It's nothing to do with pain or blood. I could quite comfortably cut my arm (if I had to, not in a deranged way :P ). I just can't do needles, in any form.

How do you knit then?

OT: pretend it's a rigid metal noodle or something. Try not to think of it as a needle.
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs
ALL HAIL CELESTIA
jjfeu662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #73
metallicafan616
Feminist

I'm not particularly afraid of needles...I once booted a hench security dude in the face to get some benzo's pinned up my right arse cheek, just because I wanted to see what it was like. If I could get pure quality of any sedative prepared for IV I can't see any reason to say no, but that's probably why so many people at college think I'm just a junkie in the making :P

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
metallicafan616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #74
jimbob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicafan616
I'm not particularly afraid of needles...I once booted a hench security dude in the face to get some benzo's pinned up my right arse cheek, just because I wanted to see what it was like. If I could get pure quality of any sedative prepared for IV I can't see any reason to say no, but that's probably why so many people at college think I'm just a junkie in the making :P

Irony - I have an SIA License and I'm 260lbs.

Still scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

jimbob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 10:28 AM   #75
ali.guitarkid7
Lonely Pup

Look at it like this: If you just go through it this time, you'll be closer to getting rid of your fear, and will have actually faced your fears.
ali.guitarkid7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #76
bobwentpop
Resident rugby junkie.

Definitely visit your GP. Maybe you could get some nerve-relaxing drugs?

You're going to have to face you fear at some point, so try to get an appointment to see a therapist.

bobwentpop, UG's favourite spontaneous combustion victim.
bobwentpop is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: