Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #21
ikey_

i really can't decide between 24 and 22 frets, this is becoming a show stopper for me. really dont know.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
ikey_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 08:51 PM   #22
Robbgnarly

Do you really play on the 23rd or 24th frets? I have found that a 21-22 fret guitar is just fine for my style of playing
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #23
ikey_

that decision is based on geting better access around teh 12-22 frets without the neck heel becoming involved. it seems to me like even around the 19th frets (fairly common in a lot of solos) on a 24 fretter seems to feel more like the rest of the neck, rather than the thick feeling you get when you start getting up around the heel.

also, i realize it may brighten up the tone a tad, which i was interested to experiment with.

however, if my playing style is not going to fit the instrument if a 24 fretter, then i wont get it. really it has nothing to do with hitting hi notes or shredding. at all.
(crybaby, GFS tuner, CMAT Signa Drive, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Xotic EP Boost)
Old 07-15-2013, 01:19 PM   #24
icronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
that decision is based on geting better access around teh 12-22 frets without the neck heel becoming involved. it seems to me like even around the 19th frets (fairly common in a lot of solos) on a 24 fretter seems to feel more like the rest of the neck, rather than the thick feeling you get when you start getting up around the heel.

I've got a Carvin CS6 Single cut with only 22 frets and I can get to the 22 fret on that with no real trouble, so honestly I think you'd be fine with a plain old CS6.

Personally, I think you get a loy more bang for your buck with Carvin, I'd say a $3800 PRS Custom 24 is maybe 10-15% better than my $1800 Carin CS6. Plus having a custom guitar is a very nice thing indeed.

That said, the resale on a Carvin is terrible. I mean really terrible. There are also a lot of complaints about the electronics and pickups. Personally I'm happy with the pickups, I find they're quite unique sounding. Almost round and slightly compressed. I've also heard that if you want to upgrade pots you have to do some routing.
icronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #25
Robbgnarly

Quote:
Originally Posted by icronic
I've got a Carvin CS6 Single cut with only 22 frets and I can get to the 22 fret on that with no real trouble, so honestly I think you'd be fine with a plain old CS6.

Personally, I think you get a loy more bang for your buck with Carvin, I'd say a $3800 PRS Custom 24 is maybe 10-15% better than my $1800 Carin CS6. Plus having a custom guitar is a very nice thing indeed.

That said, the resale on a Carvin is terrible. I mean really terrible. There are also a lot of complaints about the electronics and pickups. Personally I'm happy with the pickups, I find they're quite unique sounding. Almost round and slightly compressed. I've also heard that if you want to upgrade pots you have to do some routing.

Carvins are deff nice guitars, but PRS is better in every way IMO. Carvin pickups are horrid at best.

PRS will also hold its value much better. Buy a $2000 Carvin and you migh get $800 resale if your lucky. Buy a$2000 PRS and you will get $1300+ on resale( just something to consider). I paid $1425 for my PRS CE22 new and I can get $1100 any day for it used 10+ yrs later
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Robbgnarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #26
ikey_

well ive considered all of this. i have made an attempt to buy a johnny hiland and it was sold.

i am just too darn picky to buy without trying and buy guitar center used (best shot at a PRS) is meh and i am too picky to buy a cookie cutter PRS. for example, i picked up a PRS McCarty and absoutely hated the finish on the neck and the bridge. stunning guitar though.

yes, i could sell the prs for what i buy it for, the carvin will chop about 40% off immeidately. i get it. i have made the decision to buy a car vin in the following finish or close to it

this took my 3 hours. literally. i got home at 6, and i didnt order my carvin cause as of 9:15 PM after they closed, i was still undecided on color. literally 3 hrs and 15 min. ive seen every carvin made at this point.

i was on the fence about 24 frets. i decided if i get it and i dislike the color or 24 frets, i will return it in 10 days and buy a 22 fret in a different color.

i also was back and forth on the tone change of a 24 fret neck pickup. then i listened to santana. i realize his guitar, amp etc, is different and his playing is god, but dammit dont tell me you can't get a smooth rich tone out of a 24 fret, and im going to give it the old college try.

beyond the ussual carvin specs:
ct624
tune o matic string through
sunset burst flame
bireseye maple fretboard
stainless medium jumbos
4+2 holdsworth style headstock
stock locking tuners
strap locks
tusq compensated nut
rosewood knobs (i hate metal knobs...yeah i am THAT picky)
Tweed case

Last edited by ikey_ : 07-16-2013 at 07:33 AM.
Old 07-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #27
dannyalcatraz

And now, we await your NGD!

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!
dannyalcatraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #28
gregs1020
plays with his peters.

that looks great, i bet yours will too!

also are carvins nitro or poly finishes?
gregs1020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:44 PM   #29
dspellman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregs1020
that looks great, i bet yours will too!

also are carvins nitro or poly finishes?

Carvins are UV-catalyzed polyester (I think, as opposed to polyurethane) finish these days. My oldest Carvin is an 88 or 89. All seven of my Carvins are in *great*shape except for one. Someone decided that tung oil finish over a koa body and neck was a good idea. Not so much. I'm sure it looked pretty when new, but it's a 1991 and it looks a bit ratty these days. I don't want to sell it because it plays amazingly well and it's seriously rare, one of the only 25.5" neck-throughs that Carvin made.

I have to take issue with a couple of points presented earlier. Their pots and pickups are just fine. I have just one, an '89 with a set of the older M22 pickups, that I personally think is a bit anemic. The current C22, H22 pickups and the old M22SD are outstanding. The older guitars have no issues with the pots and they're actually pretty progressive, rather than some of the on-off pots that plague some Gibsons these days.

I really have no issues with resale; every one of my Carvins is worth more now than when I bought it. Then again, I don't buy a guitar and resell it within a year or two.

As for 24-fret vs. 22-fret -- like the OP, I think that having an extra two frets really isn't a case of requiring you to shred <G>. As he notes, it mostly just gets the upper frets out in the wind where you can more easily get to them. There's no significant tone difference due to the shorter distance between bridge and neck pickup. At this point, a majority of my guitars are 24-fret guitars, and I don't think there are any shortcomings; only benefits.

Last edited by dspellman : 07-16-2013 at 07:45 PM.
dspellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
Mister A.J.
Fallacious Purple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikey_
well ive considered all of this. i have made an attempt to buy a johnny hiland and it was sold.

i am just too darn picky to buy without trying and buy guitar center used (best shot at a PRS) is meh and i am too picky to buy a cookie cutter PRS. for example, i picked up a PRS McCarty and absoutely hated the finish on the neck and the bridge. stunning guitar though.

yes, i could sell the prs for what i buy it for, the carvin will chop about 40% off immeidately. i get it. i have made the decision to buy a car vin in the following finish or close to it

this took my 3 hours. literally. i got home at 6, and i didnt order my carvin cause as of 9:15 PM after they closed, i was still undecided on color. literally 3 hrs and 15 min. ive seen every carvin made at this point.

i was on the fence about 24 frets. i decided if i get it and i dislike the color or 24 frets, i will return it in 10 days and buy a 22 fret in a different color.

i also was back and forth on the tone change of a 24 fret neck pickup. then i listened to santana. i realize his guitar, amp etc, is different and his playing is god, but dammit dont tell me you can't get a smooth rich tone out of a 24 fret, and im going to give it the old college try.

beyond the ussual carvin specs:
ct624
tune o matic string through
sunset burst flame
bireseye maple fretboard
stainless medium jumbos
4+2 holdsworth style headstock
stock locking tuners
strap locks
tusq compensated nut
rosewood knobs (i hate metal knobs...yeah i am THAT picky)
Tweed case

Holy shit, that looks almost exactly like my CT7.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Official Approval
show
Mister A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: