Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM   #4981
merriman44

That be fry fo' sho' mate. There are a couple of infrequent guys on this forum that can do this and so very similar. I forget their names, but they sound bad ass.
merriman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #4982
LuoKey

Quote:
Originally Posted by merriman44
That be fry fo' sho' mate. There are a couple of infrequent guys on this forum that can do this and so very similar. I forget their names, but they sound bad ass.

Ah, that's awesome It's very unique. I actually thought this was false chord, but thanks for pointing me in the right direction! <3
LuoKey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:24 PM   #4983
merriman44

Not nearly as unique as you'd think. It's just from the punk/pop-punk era. Still sounds cool though!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #4984
LuoKey

Quote:
Not nearly as unique as you'd think. It's just from the punk/pop-punk era. Still sounds cool though!

Could you link me to some good guide for similar fry singing? I just can't get it out, tried almost every youtube tutorial. When I scream, it's either too quiet or inconsistent, like very very bad scream.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:27 PM   #4985
merriman44

Not really. Zen of Screaming series is worthless as far as "experts" go. Nothing has assisted in my learning. I think it's fiddling with it until you get or give up really. I have yet to unlock my fry. Others here will only be able to tell you to get the fry sound and then learn to use it as a filter to sing through. Rather, use the fry as an effect on your full voice.

Helpful? Nope, not at all. But there in lies the problem with screaming. It's a very personalized and cognitive mechanism. You either get it or don't and no one can really "show you" perse.

I'd suggest to continue to work on getting a high quality sound without worrying at all about volume. After the sound quality is high, then think about ways to increase volume, that way you at least have something workable and something to continue to work towards.

The biggest issue with fry is that it is not intuitive at all. When you are false cord screaming, you are normally doing something aggressive and it just feels natural. To learn fry you have to go against how most people learn to phonate, ie-decreasing the tension of the vocal cords to the point of crackling but not enough to let air pass straight through. It's just less natural until you get it, from what I gather.

Last edited by merriman44 : 04-16-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:35 AM   #4986
LuoKey

Quote:
Not really. Zen of Screaming series is worthless as far as "experts" go. Nothing has assisted in my learning. I think it's fiddling with it until you get or give up really. I have yet to unlock my fry. Others here will only be able to tell you to get the fry sound and then learn to use it as a filter to sing through. Rather, use the fry as an effect on your full voice.

Helpful? Nope, not at all. But there in lies the problem with screaming. It's a very personalized and cognitive mechanism. You either get it or don't and no one can really "show you" perse.

I'd suggest to continue to work on getting a high quality sound without worrying at all about volume. After the sound quality is high, then think about ways to increase volume, that way you at least have something workable and something to continue to work towards.

The biggest issue with fry is that it is not intuitive at all. When you are false cord screaming, you are normally doing something aggressive and it just feels natural. To learn fry you have to go against how most people learn to phonate, ie-decreasing the tension of the vocal cords to the point of crackling but not enough to let air pass straight through. It's just less natural until you get it, from what I gather.

Yeah, I also heard that fry is a lot more quiet, lower volume than false chord.
Old 04-22-2015, 10:27 AM   #4987
merriman44

Depends. Some folks are quiet. Many pro guys are not quiet with fry.
Old Yesterday, 08:40 PM   #4988
dyenamytedogs

Hey guys, quick question. I'm running into issues with my voice getting progressively weaker as I scream(as in my clean vocals get weaker). Please note that at no time when I scream do I encounter any pain. I also drink plenty of water and don't consume alcohol. I don't smoke cigarettes, but I am 420 friendly on a semi daily basis. Has anyone else run into this problem? What can I do to help stop this? Thanks in advance for your help guys.
dyenamytedogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: