Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old Today, 02:49 AM   #19121
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
 
rg_metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the roots are thick
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazysam23_Atax
lolwut? Shit like this is just stupid. If you're smart about it, you can avoid 100% of all "Windows problems" (read: people being dumb as hell) that cause your computer to crash or otherwise cause issues.

Edit:
Besides which, the "my OS of choice is better than your OS" game is no more mature than 5 year olds talking about how "my dad can beat up your dad".

And anything you have ever said on this forum is smart? Come on man stop being a bitchster. Everytime someone has an opinion of their own you want to capitalize on being a dumb ass. That is actually really stupid IMFO.

Furthermore, I never said "my OS is better than YOURS" I'm saying inherently Windows is full of security issues and proprietary software that requires you pay money to work.. and not even that well after you pay. Who cares if you want to use Windows or use a Apple product.. the fact of the matter is proprietary software is all about the money and nothing else... not even functionality.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 AM   #19122
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
 
Emenius Sleepus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Черный пес Петербург
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_metal
the fact of the matter is proprietary software is all about the money and nothing else... not even functionality.


not really. Case by case from my experience. In my course we've been given a fair bit of either free or licensed proprietary software, and even though you get some great simple freebies, some of them are atrocious. GIMP image editor would be an example of the latter... gives you the basics I guess, but no match for a proper creative suit program in any way. The database management software is a similar story, as a second example. Microsoft's SQL Server was actually quite user friendly, simple to set up and run. Oracle's free dbms was an absolute pain, on the other hand.

The point is, that sentence in your post isn't really objective, nor is it right for all instances.
__________________
[i]
"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:35 AM   #19123
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
 
rg_metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the roots are thick
I'm not your typical user either. I don't really care for all instances I'm simply saying that linux is the future. People want their hand held I guess.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:06 AM   #19124
Emenius Sleepus
Blaze above the ashes
 
Emenius Sleepus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Черный пес Петербург
Hah, it's so often that non-typical users rally for the Linux cause; but most of the users in the world are 'typical users'.

Linux is good for what it is, but it has its limits too. Sure it's a better and more flexible system overall, but if its poorly configured, then it becomes a complete pain to manage and secure. For most users, Windows and Mac OS are sufficient, because they just want something that works out of the box so they can move on with other things they need to do. I can't blame them, because at the end of the day computers are there to solve human problems, and if the tool does the right job with the minimum amount of fuss, it is the right thing for that scenario.

Btw since I've had Windows 7 and 8.1, I had very few crashes - in fact I can't even remember exactly when I had one last time. So even if it has hypothetically more problems, those versions have worked exceptionally well for me.

Just to reiterate, - I'm not disputing the virtues of Unix/Linux environments, but they are only useful to certain user groups.
__________________
[i]
"Национальный танец русских - это на ваших ебаных могилах".
KULTURKAMPF
lastFM
Emenius Sleepus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:37 AM   #19125
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
I'm with Emmy on this - my father is actually a network admin for a college and although he uses Linux OS for his servers and some firewalls, most everything else is windows. Windows fortunately has a very simple and familiar Ui that allows people to achieve small goals (the majority of PC users). If windows is successful at such tasks, and isn't being utilized for any super specialized tasks, then what is the issue? I personally don't like mac products for one reason or another, but if someone bought an imac simply to browse the Web and check email - well it can perform both of those tasks just fine, in which case it was a good buy for them.

Linux caters to a different audience is all, and I certainly would say that audience is a more advanced crowd that require more from their machine than Internet and email.
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:43 AM   #19126
rg_metal
The Clit Commander
 
rg_metal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: where the roots are thick
This can be easily related to elitism in this forum. Just think about how many fanboys and bitchsters just like crazysam listen to the same shitty ass music all the time and get way too pissed off when people suggest other things calling us "elitists" or "too kvlt".. when in reality we just know what is better music and when we hear this cookie cutter music we know that it is simply trash in music form. BUT WAIT... when we state our opinion of said music people get all defensive saying we don't know anything about music and our opinion is too close minded... but the thing is... we've been there countless times before hearing that same shit music so.. you are wrong bitchsters... we do know... we just happen to do something about it instead of begging for your hand to be held for everything.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranglehold
He swallowed black nail polish and shat the word 'motherfucker' onto a non-metal kid. Rad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:02 AM   #19127
progbass
UG Resident
 
progbass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
keep in mind I do agree that Linux is easily the most flexible OS and in the right hands can be a great tool.

I also understand where Emmy is coming from with said example of GIMP as compared to say, Adobe's photoshop.

Actually, even Emmy extolls the virtues of Linux, but he also realizes its shortfallings as well. Both are important, and ultimately, an OS / computer is a tool. Having worked on cars for a while, you can use a tool that isn't necessarily the right tool for the job and still get the job done, but using the exact tool you need just makes things so much smoother and easier.
__________________
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
progbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:32 AM   #19128
Metal_Head1
MÍTÍR
 
Metal_Head1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
We've gone back and forth on this a lot Ricky, but I will ask - is there a reason you say Linux is the future?

If you said the future of school and low-tech corporate operating systems, I could certainly buy that.

I still have Mint btw, but they released a new major version, so I've been putting off upgrading...
__________________
Metal_Head1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:06 PM   #19129
crazysam23_Atax
Burning away
 
crazysam23_Atax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: The Frozen North! (read: Northern Wisconsin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_metal
This can be easily related to elitism in this forum. Just think about how many fanboys and bitchsters just like crazysam listen to the same shitty ass music all the time and get way too pissed off when people suggest other things calling us "elitists" or "too kvlt".. when in reality we just know what is better music and when we hear this cookie cutter music we know that it is simply trash in music form. BUT WAIT... when we state our opinion of said music people get all defensive saying we don't know anything about music and our opinion is too close minded... but the thing is... we've been there countless times before hearing that same shit music so.. you are wrong bitchsters... we do know... we just happen to do something about it instead of begging for your hand to be held for everything.

Wow, way to be an asshole. For the record, I listen to most of the same music as a lot of the people on this forum. I also am a huge fan of progressive rock and metal.

The only reason you even made this asshole rant of yours is 1) you dislike that I listen to BTBAM ocassionally and argued with you in the BTBAM thread when you started up your dumbass, immature trolling attempts in said thread AND 2) you dislike that I disagreed with you about Linux. I have used Linux, both for gaming (it's SEVERELY limited for gaming, outside of using front end WINE programs to run Windows older games, due to the fact that very few gaming companies want to configure their games to work on multiple Linux distros) and for my coursework in university (it's great for learning OS and lower-level language concepts). Just because you love Linux doesn't mean it isn't limited or doesn't have issues. It is definitely a useful and fun OS. But it's an OS that caters to a specific crowd, and that crowd is not large (although, a lot of companies use Linux for servers and/or firewalls).

In regards to 1) above though, grow the fuck up already. I like a band you despise; get over it.
__________________
Tunes?

Bandcamp

Now working on my upcoming EP "Discarnate". See the expected track list on my bandcamp.



Terry Prachett is funnier than you! Discworld

Last edited by crazysam23_Atax : Today at 04:00 PM.
crazysam23_Atax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:34 PM   #19130
Born Headless
Registered User
 
Born Headless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Korea sucks. That is all.
Born Headless is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:56 PM   #19131
The Virtuoso
L'╔tranger
 
The Virtuoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Bod°, Norway
Psh, you've obviously never watched any Korean films. :p
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
The Virtuoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:58 PM   #19132
romencer17
UG God
 
romencer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Transcending A Mere Multiverse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Born Headless
Korea sucks. That is all.


nah if you really wanna rustle ricky's jimmies you gotta say asian women aren't good looking.

also i know my vanity post on the last page was ignored (probably due to being a 40 minute track) but I got this jam my band made during an improv session at our school a few weeks ago. we finally got some of it mixed and here's one
https://soundcloud.com/subraaudio/t...t-into-infinity
__________________
Dark star crashes, pouring it's light into ashes.
Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis.
Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion.

Sumdeus

Last edited by romencer17 : Today at 04:03 PM.
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:51 PM   #19133
Metal_Head1
MÍTÍR
 
Metal_Head1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
I didn't listen to all of the last one, but this one's really cool, what are you doing in this song?
__________________
Metal_Head1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 PM   #19134
romencer17
UG God
 
romencer17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Transcending A Mere Multiverse
i am the guitarist

and here is another rough mix from that same session
https://soundcloud.com/rome-yamilov...tu-funk-it-demo
__________________
Dark star crashes, pouring it's light into ashes.
Reason tatters, the forces tear loose from the axis.
Searchlight casting for faults in the clouds of delusion.

Sumdeus

Last edited by romencer17 : Today at 06:54 PM.
romencer17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.