Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 02-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
Arjun_M

Jackson X-series soloists - what's the word now?

What's the word on these guitars, as of now? Initially, most of them appeared value-for-money packages until the finish flaws were visible. Now, a lot of them are of a better fit and finish, and the prices are decent. Even later, the higher-priced X-series Soloists with the 3/3 headstocks, piranha inlays, arch tops and EMG 81/85s were said to be have mahogany bodies, as against the basswood that was advertised earlier (official Jackson communication says so too). But ownership reviews are a bit hard to find- although a lot of owners say that these guitars sound and feel good, and are tremendous value for money- especially when the DD/HZ pickups are swapped for superior replacements. I'd like more opinions on these guitars- if you've tested them, or subsequently bought and owned them.

The proposition of a Jackson Soloist under $700 (prices get inflated excessively when the guitars land in Indian shops) is very enticing. I'm not so keen on the Pro Series, because they're overpriced (hang on, $950-1000 for something made at the Samick plant in Indonesia?) but these guitars appear attractive for heavy metal action. I may not save much when I buy the Indonesian Soloists, but there are a few made in the HMI factory in South India, on which I can save a lot more. However, buying a Jackson in India has a whole lot of problems associated with it, as neither dealers nor importers want to help- and that's another story.
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:17 PM   #2
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

i think the bolt-on pro series is made in mexico, but don't quote me on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Confuse-a-Cat
The Jackson Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_Mc
i think the bolt-on pro series is made in mexico, but don't quote me on that.

Yep, they're built at FMIC Mexico.

As to the X series, I haven't tried one myself, but the general opinion I've picked up on the JCF is that they're pretty good for the price. Good players that can become even better with a few hardware upgrades. Their popularity over there is actually a decent achievement since most Jackson fans will have a tendency to look down on anything that's not USA or Chushin Gakki.

I'm quite tempted myself to pick up the Adrian Smith SDX.
Confuse-a-Cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 07:53 AM   #4
Arjun_M

Getting registered on JCF and posting rights is another story. I wonder what I need to do to even get my account activated. Buy a Jackson? That whole ring is quite tight- sometimes one computer/device may be IP-banned even if the user hasn't registered yet!

Comments there are largely positive, and the complaints are often about fit and finish. I'm not so sure the guitars with EMG pickups will need a pickup change, although those with HZ/DD are definitely in line for that change. An OFR/Schaller/GOTOH trem may do wonders, but I haven't yet found a thread where they have such a mod. One SLX owner put in EMG 81/85 and likes the sound of it. An owner of an SLXQ put in Invaders and loves the sound, but may change in some time. Ownership reviews of the arch-top Soloists are yet to come up- the whole package of mahogany body, maple-neck-through, EMG 81/85 and Floyd Rose special (which can be swapped for a much better trem) is one I'm keen on trying out.

But buying one of these is akin to buying without trying. We don't get these in shops here in India- not even those made in the Indian factory!
Arjun_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:01 AM   #5
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuse-a-Cat
Yep, they're built at FMIC Mexico.

As to the X series, I haven't tried one myself, but the general opinion I've picked up on the JCF is that they're pretty good for the price. Good players that can become even better with a few hardware upgrades. Their popularity over there is actually a decent achievement since most Jackson fans will have a tendency to look down on anything that's not USA or Chushin Gakki.

I'm quite tempted myself to pick up the Adrian Smith SDX.

Is this all of the X series or just the Soloists?
Schecter Blaxjack ATX V-1
Vintage Musicman Bass copy
Fender Mexican Telecaster
Squier Vintage Modified Stratocaster
Dean Old Skull V
Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:58 PM   #6
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl

^ just the bolt-on ones are MIM, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roc8995
Rob Chappers would tell you he couldn't tell a cat from a dog if it would get him more hits on youtube.

Dave_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: