Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 08-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #11481
sethpoint7

Along with Johnnyzzz I am also wondering about the Valveking 20 head.

What I would like, is some advice on is this: Should I look for a good deal on the VK 20 head or continue to play around/upgrade my VK 112?

My situation: First of all I love my VK 112. The only thing I have had to do to it done to it since I got it is to replace a fuse. I changed the speaker some time ago and I have a few extra bucks saved so I've been looking at boost pedals and trying to sort out a replacement tube set. That's option 1.

Option 2 is this: Sell the VK 112 and use that and the other cash for the VK20 head.

My wife and I have a new baby in the house so I'd like to be as quiet as I am able so the variable power (1W, 5W, and 20W) of the VK head sounds like it would be nice. Also I think it has a headphone jack for completely silent play. It can directly connect to a computer/recording device which would be pretty cool to play with too. I plan on making a cab with a spare speaker if I get the head.

I'd like to upgrade but I'm not exactly sure which way is most useful. I already have the 112 and could get some toys to go along with it or I could get a "new" amp it might be that same thing I had.

Also, I play blues/rock and some metalish stuff too. I'd rather have nice cleans that a metal distortion though. And I know that this amp isn't really made for that anyway. I only play at home for my enjoyment so no need for lots of volume for (like performing). Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks!
sethpoint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:30 AM   #11482
Jason43
Now you know...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethpoint7
Along with Johnnyzzz I am also wondering about the Valveking 20 head.

What I would like, is some advice on is this: Should I look for a good deal on the VK 20 head or continue to play around/upgrade my VK 112?

My situation: First of all I love my VK 112. The only thing I have had to do to it done to it since I got it is to replace a fuse. I changed the speaker some time ago and I have a few extra bucks saved so I've been looking at boost pedals and trying to sort out a replacement tube set. That's option 1.

Option 2 is this: Sell the VK 112 and use that and the other cash for the VK20 head.

My wife and I have a new baby in the house so I'd like to be as quiet as I am able so the variable power (1W, 5W, and 20W) of the VK head sounds like it would be nice. Also I think it has a headphone jack for completely silent play. It can directly connect to a computer/recording device which would be pretty cool to play with too. I plan on making a cab with a spare speaker if I get the head.

I'd like to upgrade but I'm not exactly sure which way is most useful. I already have the 112 and could get some toys to go along with it or I could get a "new" amp it might be that same thing I had.

Also, I play blues/rock and some metalish stuff too. I'd rather have nice cleans that a metal distortion though. And I know that this amp isn't really made for that anyway. I only play at home for my enjoyment so no need for lots of volume for (like performing). Any advice would be very appreciated!

Thanks!

I'd consider a Vypyr VIP 1. Sounds good at low volume and has a decent metal tone and good cleans. I just bought one for my daughter and it's a nice little amp.
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 AM   #11483
sethpoint7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason43
I'd consider a Vypyr VIP 1. Sounds good at low volume and has a decent metal tone and good cleans. I just bought one for my daughter and it's a nice little amp.

I'll take a look thanks!
sethpoint7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 08:30 PM   #11484
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Notice to the UG users of the Valveking Wikispaces. I have received notice from Wikispaces that they will discontinue our ValveKing WIKI unless we pay a monthly fee or I can get them to recognize it as a Higher Education Wiki. Worst case is a vanishing wiki. I do not have the interest in paying a fee. I did Export it and save it on my Hard Drive. Not sure if you all can do the same. If you are interested in saving the content go here http://ultimate-guitar-valveking.wi...m/space/convert

I am now waiting on a decision from them whether or not they will allow it as Higher Education.
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Cap47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #11485
dudey5691

Long time, no see VK community.

To follow up with Cap47, the wikispace page will be removed on November 15 unless a fee is paid. There may be a chance to get a free 30-day extension by using the Plus or Super trials, but no guarantee.

I am not sure on how active the wiki is; I haven't been active in the community for over four years now, and stopped accepting emails/PMs in 2011. If an interest to maintain the wiki exists, I will pay for up to two months subscription (seeing as it was my creation). Otherwise, it looks as though it is coming to an end.

If someone would like to put the work in to continue it, Wikia (free) is another option. I believe it accepts wikitext, which is an export option on the current wiki. Of course, it may not work as easily in my head, but for the sake of continuity it may be the only option.

It's been a good run.
dudey5691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #11486
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Hey dudey!

Good to see you again

Thanks so much again for putting that together in the first place. It is a shame that it must come to an end but I like Charlie's idea of getting the whole thing considered 'Higher Education' That's awesome.

I personally do not pop in there very often but it sure has grown over the years and I'd say I get a 'Request to Join' every couple weeks or so. I'm sure Dudey and Charlie get the same request notifications. (FYI - I don't do anything with those as I forgot my password and I'm not active anymore.)

Anyway - thanks again for creating it, I'm sure it brought a ton of information to lots of people. I wonder if anyone at Peavey is aware of it.

Old 10-01-2014, 07:14 AM   #11487
Jason43
Now you know...

I can't imagine it gets that much traffic. Maybe look at a free website host, or its own facebook page.
Jason43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #11488
MaaZeus

I see it linked to now and then from different guitar forums so it definetly is not useless site. As far as information about mods goes atleast. But they could very well be compiled into a thread here and the most important information archived that way (I dont see UG going away anytime soon, so google will always find it). No need to keep a wiki-site for that if it starts to cost you guys money.

I was looking for mods on my Valvestate and I saw a few references to a mod that apparently improved it dramatically but all pointed to a one site which no longer existed. Couldnt find detailed information about the mod anywhere so I guess it is all lost now.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 10-01-2014 at 07:36 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2014, 06:29 PM   #11489
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

I requested a continuance based on higher education and so far have heard nothing. Don't know what their ground rules are.
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Old 10-13-2014, 02:04 PM   #11490
311ZOSOVHJH
G G & A - B A B Y

Thanks Charles
Old 10-25-2014, 08:19 PM   #11491
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap47
I requested a continuance based on higher education and so far have heard nothing. Don't know what their ground rules are.
The WIKI has just been granted as Higher Education Status! This is Good News for all of us in this Forum and other VK users. It still needs Dudey to verify the WIKI. He has said he would contribute to keep it going. Don't know how much it cost him but we could donate some to him to help out via PayPal if he has an account. Dudey let us know if that is acceptable.
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI
Old 10-29-2014, 12:11 AM   #11492
dudey5691

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap47
The WIKI has just been granted as Higher Education Status! This is Good News for all of us in this Forum and other VK users. It still needs Dudey to verify the WIKI. He has said he would contribute to keep it going. Don't know how much it cost him but we could donate some to him to help out via PayPal if he has an account. Dudey let us know if that is acceptable.

Wiki is verified! It will remain free and open to the public for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Cap, for handling all this! Sorry I can't be more involved in the community. Maybe after graduate school I can finally start tinkering again!

P.S. - If you need me for anything, message through the wiki. I've left that channel open.
dudey5691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2014, 02:20 AM   #11493
Cap47
Registered VK 112 AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudey5691
Wiki is verified! It will remain free and open to the public for the foreseeable future.

Thanks, Cap, for handling all this! Sorry I can't be more involved in the community. Maybe after graduate school I can finally start tinkering again!

P.S. - If you need me for anything, message through the wiki. I've left that channel open.

I had to make some changes to the WIKI Membership. We are limited under New Wikispace rules to 100 members. I basically purged all inactive members across the board which got us down from 174 to 68 who have been in participation on the VK WIKI. We are coming into a period of New VK Models and needed some room for addition of people who are seriously going to add to the WIKI as New VK Models become modded. We know that is a given by our Past and Present input to make them better.

Those inactive members who have been purged remember you can still view the whole WIKI for your use. If you have New content you can ask to be added again by describing what you want to add. An Organizer can approve your membership. I ask that you refrain from joining just for the sake of joining. We have to control number of members by WIKI Rules. The limit is 100 members, so if the member list is at 100 I ask the Organizers to not add any more members. Another option to add content is to have another member add it for you if he thinks it is either valuable or pertains to the newer models.
Thank You !
Charlie
VK112 , Bias Pot
VK WIKI

Rate This Thread: