User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #14501
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig1214
It was a bit. They didn't have super heavy strings on. The 24.75" scale kills it.I don; tknow why Gibson doesn't budge on that. They did 25.5 on the old RDs....

Gibson's entire schtick now is appealing to the vintage cork-sniffers, to be honest I don't even know what they're doing selling 7 strings these days. The people who want one can't afford it and the people who can afford it want their absolutely vintage-styled range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #14502
lemurflames
Ronnie

Misha-senpai just makes it sound dangerously close to a terrible romcom, and I don't want that.

I wouldn't mind the shorter scale.

If it was multiscale. :P

Something silly and barely noticeable like 25" - 26"
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
lemurflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:53 PM   #14503
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
Misha-senpai just makes it sound dangerously close to a terrible romcom, and I don't want that.

I wouldn't mind the shorter scale.

If it was multiscale. :P

Something silly and barely noticeable like 25" - 26"

That would be my multiscale if I had one. Otherwise straight up 26" is my choice. Even the 25" on the PRS 7 strings is a bit too short, you can't intonate them properly at all.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:54 PM   #14504
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...tric-guitar.asp

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Won't be this week, but sooooooooooooooooooon

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM   #14505
TheStig1214
Lace Fanboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-bo...tric-guitar.asp

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Won't be this week, but sooooooooooooooooooon

Much rather have that than the gibson.

Still think a 7 string Jag would be awesome. Speaking of which wood, pickguard material and a TUSQ nut are waiting for me at home. Black dye ordered today.

Amps and the like:
Laney VH100R
Crate 2x12 Cab (2 Eminence V128s)
Line 6 POD HD500
Korg Pitchblack

Seven Strings and ERGs
TheStig1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:45 PM   #14506
SYLrules88
I Play Drums!

not 7 str related, but I just picked up the latest albums from The Haunted and Darkane and so far, they are pretty sick. I'm a thrash guy so these are right up my alley also bought the new Opeth but haven't listened to much yet. Never got their last album as it really didn't sound like my thing. happy shredding
ESP Horizon
Schecter C-1 Classic
LTD AX-350
Frankentele
Carvin V3 + Avatar Cab

SYLrules88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 12:49 PM   #14507
lemurflames
Ronnie

I downloaded two albums from Bandcamp by a group called Slugdge. Slug-themed Sludge metal.

http://slugdge.bandcamp.com/album/gastronomicon
PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 09-13-2014, 01:58 PM   #14508
Fisheth24
Lord Of The Dark Things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemurflames
I downloaded two albums from Bandcamp by a group called Slugdge. Slug-themed Sludge metal.

http://slugdge.bandcamp.com/album/gastronomicon

Gastronomicon.

They're a British band and they're excellent.

Fisheth24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 02:42 PM   #14509
lemurflames
Ronnie

PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 09-15-2014, 01:23 PM   #14510
bowen
Found yourself

Hey guys, here is that same track which I posted an unmixed - rough cut guitar/drum version of a week or two back. Used an S7320 with BKP pickups in it, and the track is in drop F#. Ask any questions if you have any about the mix! Let me know what you think - I tried to make the low end as high quality as possible.
Frozen Soil - Unsuitable For Treatment
bowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #14511
littlemurph7976

Are the drums Superior Drummer?

Also, what octave did you record the bass in? Same as the guitars?
Orange PPC212

littlemurph7976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:30 PM   #14512
bowen
Found yourself

The drums are SD, yes, and the bass is tuned an octave below the guitars.
F#0 C#1 F#1 B2
Old 09-16-2014, 09:10 PM   #14513
littlemurph7976

Damn that's low. Any tips for getting a good bass tone when going that low? I've not messed around with anything lower than G really, but even that is difficult to make 'sing'.
Orange PPC212

Old 09-17-2014, 01:43 AM   #14514
bowen
Found yourself

I just uploaded a re-do of that same track, same link posted above! And yes - I do have tips!

Check that out and tell me if the bass comes across in a way you like and then I can tell you everything I did to make that happen. I could even send you the raw tracks so you could listen to them isolated on their own.

But if you don't think it's a successful attempt/not what you would want for bass that low then all good, dude! Just listen for the actual mix, not necessarily the music.

p.s. give it justice and try to listen to it on something other than tiny ear buds though!

Last edited by bowen : 09-17-2014 at 02:16 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #14515
littlemurph7976

I listened to it on my relatively decent Shure headphones. The bass tone works well for that style of music, it's kind of strange that being that low, there would be a 'gap' underneath the guitars, but you've got the bass to fill out whatever was missing underneath and it purrs really nicely. I think I'm possibly hearing more harmonics than the fundamental note sometimes, but even then, that works. I'm assuming the bass is underneath the kick? It sounds like it is anyway. I'd really like to hear the bass track on its own, and like to know what you've done to it.

I've just recently recorded bass for my band's upcoming stuff (2 E.P's worth, I think) and we struggled for a long time to get it to sound good just DI'ing the bass at home. We tried 3 different basses; an Ibanez SR something, a Squier Jazz, and eventually borrowed a Mexican Fender P bass from a friend. It just didn't have any weight to it, no matter how I tried to compress it, or play around with distortion and blending tracks together. We managed to get into a proper studio at Uni last week and it finally sounds good now. DI'ing straight through an API pre and Focusrite Compressor, and sending that signal out to one of the Uni's Mesa Boogie combos (I think it was a Road King 2x12) for some distortion, micing that with a 421 and an RE20. Not a normal set up, but it sounded really good. I should mention that we're only in drop C though, we're nowhere near RIDICULOUSLY low. Still, the amount we had to fanny around just to get a bass sounding good in C, was bad enough, it must be a lot harder down at F#. How do you have your bass set up? What string gauges? And what kind of bass?

TL;DR Lots of bass stuff
Orange PPC212

Old 09-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #14516
lemurflames
Ronnie

PRS 212 DB
Peavey 5150 212
ProTone Dead Horse OD
Old 09-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #14517
bowen
Found yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemurph7976
I listened to it on my relatively decent Shure headphones. The bass tone works well for that style of music, it's kind of strange that being that low, there would be a 'gap' underneath the guitars, but you've got the bass to fill out whatever was missing underneath and it purrs really nicely. I think I'm possibly hearing more harmonics than the fundamental note sometimes, but even then, that works. I'm assuming the bass is underneath the kick? It sounds like it is anyway. I'd really like to hear the bass track on its own, and like to know what you've done to it.

I've just recently recorded bass for my band's upcoming stuff (2 E.P's worth, I think) and we struggled for a long time to get it to sound good just DI'ing the bass at home. We tried 3 different basses; an Ibanez SR something, a Squier Jazz, and eventually borrowed a Mexican Fender P bass from a friend. It just didn't have any weight to it, no matter how I tried to compress it, or play around with distortion and blending tracks together. We managed to get into a proper studio at Uni last week and it finally sounds good now. DI'ing straight through an API pre and Focusrite Compressor, and sending that signal out to one of the Uni's Mesa Boogie combos (I think it was a Road King 2x12) for some distortion, micing that with a 421 and an RE20. Not a normal set up, but it sounded really good. I should mention that we're only in drop C though, we're nowhere near RIDICULOUSLY low. Still, the amount we had to fanny around just to get a bass sounding good in C, was bad enough, it must be a lot harder down at F#. How do you have your bass set up? What string gauges? And what kind of bass?

TL;DR Lots of bass stuff

Changed the mix up a bit, and we all know soundcloud does change the mix a bit. But now the bass is much more on par with the drums. The guitars have been brought down as well since they cut through so much.

What I did is I used the same bass DI and ran 3 tracks of it.
One was the DI reamped with a Darkglass B7K for a distortion and very mid heavy setting.
The second was the DI reamped with the Devin "Heavy bass" setting from EZ mix's Metal Gods pack, phase inverted.
The third was a bus routed with the DI using the "sub bass" preset from the Eventide Ultra Channel plugin, but taken to be a much slower release time and faster attack time for the compressor settings.

All 3 of these tracks were sent to a bus for the bass guitar where slight subtractive EQ for the high end, and a bit of accentuation for the lows and high mids where the guitars were cut. That is why on this mix you can hear a bit more pick attack because it isn't battling the guitars.

The bass was an old ESP bass with a 125 DR Hi-Beam for the low string. I had to play with control so the string wouldn't touch the pickups, causing an insta-clip. I recommend using a lighter gauge pick, because it will act as a natural compressor. The bass also had medium action for as little fret buzz as possible while still holding what was left of proper intonation.

That set up you used sounds cool. Re amping bass through guitar amps for some edge can be very successful. As for those basses it seems like you had a pretty unnecessary struggle. Were they all kind of low end models?

Rate This Thread: