Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Reply
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
serbusfish
The Art of Shredding
 
serbusfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Small bedroom amp for Melodic Death Metal/Thrash

I have owned a Bugera 6260 combo for a few years now and I still think it a great sounding amp, however I recently set up a fish tank in my room and I noticed yesterday after jamming some of my fish were quite pale and seemed stressed, I wasnt really playing very loud but I think it may have upset them (the amp has good bass which I guess passes through the floor).

So im considering trading it for something a little quieter, I have been looking into the Roland Cube series, the Vox VT20+ and the Peavey Vypyr range, either the 15 or 30 models. What is the general consensus about these amps?

I mainly play Melodic Death Metal and Thrash, which of these amps will do these styles the best? I always run a boost up front with a noise gate anyway so gain shouldn't be a problem, im more concerned about tone and being able to do it well at a low volume.

I dont really want to spend more than £150, which covers the VT20+, Cube 15/Micro Cube, and the Vypyr 15. I could also perhaps get a Vypyr 30 used if they are significantly better than the 15's?
__________________
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
-MintSauce-
Time Lord
 
-MintSauce-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
BlackStar HT-1? It's around £170, but apparently a great amp.

Edit: I appreciate that's neither of your suggestions... just throwing it out there.

Last edited by -MintSauce- : 03-11-2013 at 07:38 PM.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #3
Skodward714
UG's Most Metal Brony
 
Skodward714's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: In a van down by the river
Go for a Vypyr. They manage to pack a buttload of stuff in one amp for such a low price, and it sounds amazing. I can plug a guitar straight in, no effects pedal, and immediately have a really metal tone. You can get some real chug out of the bass strings and really good solo highs. I can get some pretty pro sounds through the amp alone, even on my 7-string which has cheapy pickups that normally sound really muddy and dull. On the Vypyr it sounds kind of like I'm using higher end pickups. And not to mention Vypyrs can get LOUD. If I turn mine to 4 it will probably break windows, and the volume goes all the way up to 13. I have a 15, so I'm sure a 30 would probably cause some noticeable seismic activity in a 20 mile radius if you crank it all the way up.

The only real difference that I know of between the 15 and 30 is that the 30 has an extra knob for stompbox effects. I say go for the 30 if you can, but the 15 is a pretty solid amp too.
__________________
That is the most metal thing I have heard in my whole life.

Check out my DeviantArt, why not?

Last edited by Skodward714 : 03-11-2013 at 08:03 PM.
Skodward714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:01 PM   #4
Leybick
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
If itís too loud, your fish are too old.
Leybick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Unispex
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leybick
If itís too loud, your fish are too old.


^ Ha. ^
Unispex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
serbusfish
The Art of Shredding
 
serbusfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by -MintSauce-
BlackStar HT-1? It's around £170, but apparently a great amp.

Edit: I appreciate that's neither of your suggestions... just throwing it out there.


Hmm it looks ok, but it doesnt have seperate bass/mid/treble, just a single EQ knob. Also being a tube amp is it able to do really quiet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skodward714
Go for a Vypyr. They manage to pack a buttload of stuff in one amp for such a low price, and it sounds amazing. I can plug a guitar straight in, no effects pedal, and immediately have a really metal tone. You can get some real chug out of the bass strings and really good solo highs. I can get some pretty pro sounds through the amp alone, even on my 7-string which has cheapy pickups that normally sound really muddy and dull. On the Vypyr it sounds kind of like I'm using higher end pickups. And not to mention Vypyrs can get LOUD. If I turn mine to 4 it will probably break windows, and the volume goes all the way up to 13. I have a 15, so I'm sure a 30 would probably cause some noticeable seismic activity in a 20 mile radius if you crank it all the way up.

The only real difference that I know of between the 15 and 30 is that the 30 has an extra knob for stompbox effects. I say go for the 30 if you can, but the 15 is a pretty solid amp too.


Yeah the Vypyr does seem good value for money, I was slightly concerned about the small 8" speaker, but from what you say it handles things ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leybick
If itís too loud, your fish are too old.


Made me lol

Does anyone have feedback about the Vox? That seems like a really good amp, and as it has a tube doesnt sound as artificial. My only worry again is how quiet it can run and can it do insane high gain?
__________________
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:17 AM   #7
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
 
eddiehimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Slowly changing my identity, one day at a time
Get one of those Harley Benton 5-W tube amps and a TS-9
__________________
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #8
ohaple
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
I dont think a smaller amp will fix your fish problem. Ditch the fish and keep your amp, or play with headphones. Neither is ideal, but you gotta make choices sometimes.

I suspect a smaller amp will do the same thing to your fish, in which case you are spending money, downgrading your amp, and still f'ing up your fish.
ohaple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #9
serbusfish
The Art of Shredding
 
serbusfish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Get one of those Harley Benton 5-W tube amps and a TS-9


I dont think those are available in the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaple
I dont think a smaller amp will fix your fish problem. Ditch the fish and keep your amp, or play with headphones. Neither is ideal, but you gotta make choices sometimes.

I suspect a smaller amp will do the same thing to your fish, in which case you are spending money, downgrading your amp, and still f'ing up your fish.


Lol what an absurd suggestion!

A smaller amp would have less bass, so in theory the sound vibrations wouldnt travel as well through my floor to the tank. My TV is right next to the tank and doesnt cause the fish any problems so im sure a small amp would be fine.
__________________
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
serbusfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:37 AM   #10
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
 
eddiehimself's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Slowly changing my identity, one day at a time
Quote:
Originally Posted by serbusfish
I dont think those are available in the UK?


Costs about £5 to get one delivered from Thomann. It's usually quicker than most UK companies as well...
__________________
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
eddiehimself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:57 AM   #11
von Layzonfon
UG's Grammar Stickler
 
von Layzonfon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself
Costs about £5 to get one delivered from Thomann. It's usually quicker than most UK companies as well...
Thomann are awesome. I've had loads of stuff off them.
Edit: Yeah, and I usually check them before UK sites, too.
__________________

Paddy von Layzonfon! Founder of The Spell it RELICKED Club

Last edited by von Layzonfon : 03-13-2013 at 08:58 AM.
von Layzonfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
-MintSauce-
Time Lord
 
-MintSauce-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: England
How quiet do you want it? I have a Peavey Valveking Royal 8, which is 5W with an 8" speaker. It can do quiet without sounding flat, and it can also be surprisingly loud.
-MintSauce- is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:42 AM.

Forum Archives / About / Terms of Use / Advertise / Contact / Ultimate-Guitar.Com © 2014
Powered by: vBulletin Version 3.0.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.