Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Songwriting & Lyrics > Songwriting & Lyrics Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
BrianGray
Blackwings Frontman

I Know People Say "Write what you feel", But... (May Help Wrtier's Block)

First, I'm not saying that's bad advice. But let's look at it this way. Everyone write's how they feels, especially in my particular genre. Holy shit. Anyways.

Music needs to come from inside, and that's more than true. However, that doesn't always mean it has to come from your emotions. It's your thoughts and observations too! What I'm basically suggesting, is that you should take a look at your surroundings, too!

Observe the world. Seriously. I don't mean the obvious either. Rain, Nightlife in the City, etc. Get creative! I was helping my little sister clean her room the other day, and saw a stuffed turtle on the window ledge. Instead of the logical choice, and stuffing that green bastard in a shoebox, I started thinking.

I saw a little red turtle on my window/Using my soft brown wood as a pillow/
A great big eagle took him away, into the sky/with a little turtle hand he waved goodbye/

Etc. Anyway, anything can become a song, is what I'm trying to say. The next time you see a toy, some unique food, a squirrel, a lamp, ANYTHING. Think about it from a different standpoint. How did it get there? How did that circumstance happen? How do these objects/people feel? Etc.

Anyway, that's my piece. Hopefully, it helped.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Will23guitar

I combine them. When I get emotional about the things I observe, it makes the best lyrics, haha!
Will23guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Luke James

Hey Brian

Great point! I have heard about a method of songwriting called "Object writing", which is basically what you described (as I understand it anyway). It is taking an object, e.g. the stub of a ticket to a show you went to with an old lover, or a stuffed turtle like you said, and then writing a song around it.
Luke James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
FistOfMichallin

It's as simple as not thinking.

Your thoughts require logic, and logic uses a language to rationalize said thoughts, therefore judging everything critically as it hits you.

Just stop calling everything you think of, 'shit'. 'Cause, you get ideas all the time; you simply don't like most of them.

That's why they say 'write what you feel'.

Sometimes, you'll sit there with your instrument, thinking, 'what chord should i play next? Maybe a 7th, etc...' **** that. You're judging the next chord before you even play it. That's what everyone's problem is, and it's sometimes a problem i have myself, though one i'm undoing.

You can write about a stuffed turtle, a glass of water; your flashlight... or fleshlight, but that doesn't mean you're not gonna think critically of it before you even touch your paper, let alone your instrument.

In regards to instrumentation: forget about chord scales and scales in general. The less you think about scales (or any theoretical bull, to be honest. ), the more you restrict the imagination.

"OH, but you CAN'T play a minor chord a third from the root of the minor scale!" No. You can literally play any chord shape you can think of, and make it sound good. See, when you learn the theory of music and writing, it becomes natural. You don't need to think about it. You merely apply it. When you know the rules, you know what rules to break. Simple as DAT.

Secondly, you're more inlikely going to find good melodies with your voice than you would following your hand. Your voice knew music before you ever did. Your ears, too. That, my friend, is FEELING. When you sing random shit about, or hear said random shit in your mind, that is a feeling. If you don't write from those feelings, you ain't doing it right, and even worse; you're restricting yourself, yet again!

Object writing, however, is without a doubt a good thing to practice, but don't even approach object writing from a theoretical standpoint either. Don't think WORDS to yourself, when you see an object, or see a word. Visualize the atmosphere that surrounds it, apart from you. Use imagery. What you hear, see, touch, and feel is what grabs a hold of you.

It's like acting: You need to understand your character's goal, why they believe in what they do, and what their argument states; empathize with them. Empathize.

If thinking comes before everything else, for me personally, it's not as honest as it feels like it should be. When it all comes out before a single thought, it's... 'damn, i got a good feeling about that.'

Don't trust your words, and especially your thoughts. Thoughts have a filter on them, which bar your creative mind. They're your editor. If you edit when you 'song-write', then you ain't song-writing. You're trying to harvest from a tree that's grown no fruit yet. Serious. It's like.... damn.

Last edited by FistOfMichallin : 05-04-2013 at 10:19 PM.
FistOfMichallin is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: