Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Bands & Artists > Metal
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-23-2013, 01:16 PM   #11701
rg_metal
The Clit Commander

After the original guitarist left, Opeth has sucked ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by severed-metal
You can dress a woman slutty, but she's not a slut. Understand?

living inside a drop only to die in an ocean
rg_metal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:43 PM   #11702
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

That was a pretty good article and dissection of what Mikeal said. Really shows how much of a **** the man is.

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 02:21 PM   #11703
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world

Pretty sure I want everything he's wearing in the pic

Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

Kytokinesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #11704
Morphogenesis26
UG Nerd

That article made me realize how much he looks like a chinchilla. o_o

Morphogenesis26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #11705
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

I knew when I saw the Opeth thread that this is what would come up. I still listen to opeth frequently, just not as frequently as 2003-2008. I too feel that things really changed when Peter left & Fred joined the band.

When I first read his comments I kind of agreed, but I realized he's making a huge generalization. Truthfully, I'd say you'd be pretty hard pressed to find a genre of music that is MORE open-minded and diverse than heavy metal. In a lot of other genres, pop, hip-hop, folk, etc there are certain rules you have to play by that prevent an artist from exceeding those bounds, but in metal, there really aren't any rules. Sure, there are certain reoccuring themes, but metal can be mixed with ANY other kind of music and there will likely be a band out there who has or currently is trying it. Rap-metal. Folk-metal. Jazz-influenced metal. Symphonic Metal. Funk Metal. Pop/Hair Metal. Industrial Metal. These are just a few example, and there are dozens more to choose from.

In contrast, a genre like Country certainly has some variations in it's own right, but nowhere near the amount of experimentation is allowed in Country music that is allowed in Metal. Not even close. Jazz, Country, Pop, etc all have some flexibility, but also very specific guidelines that must not be broken. Metal doesn't seem to have any rules that can't be broken.

So what does that say for Metal's fanbase? With as many different types of metal music out there, it's pretty obvious that metal fans are in fact extremely open-minded. That's why you can see guys in Slayer shirts head banging at The Prodigy concerts. Or maybe the guy at the Steve Miller concert is a Machine Head fan as well. Or maybe your manager at work has an extensive collection of '90's death metal at home! Sometimes you just never know! But back to my original point- how can a genre with so many outside influences be comprised of people that are so close-minded? It can't be.

As long as Mikeal believes that metal fans are close-minded, he will remain close-minded to all of the possibilities to make music that keeps existing fans and generate new ones. I once held this man on a pedestal above so many other musicians, but this statement has made me lose a little of my admiration for him. I will still enjoy his music as I always have, and will look forward to anything he puts out, but I am disappointed that he feels this way, and makes me think he may have hit the wall on his creativity. Damn.
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 07:46 AM   #11706
Firewind Raging
Guitar Face Emperor

The thing is, the close-minded metal fans are usually the most vocal, about certain bands not being "true metal" and such, so it appears that's what most fans are like.
BOSS TU-2
Firewind Raging is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #11707
progbass
UG Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitgrinder
stuff

well I must say, given the past few records I think it was clear he was running out of ideas around the time Peter left...especially the abortion that is Heritage.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM   #11708
rg_metal
The Clit Commander

I feel that whatever chemistry Peter and Mike had worked well for Opeth in the past. As soon as Peter left Opeth ceased to exist and turned into Akerpeth.

Quote:

Old 11-24-2013, 08:30 AM   #11709
progbass
UG Resident

from what I gathered from interviews around '05 '06 ish, nobody had any real say on Ghost Reveries besides Akerfeldt. So the relationship was deteriorating prior to Peter leaving (who if I recall left after Lopez was having his heart issues)
Old 11-24-2013, 12:50 PM   #11710
guitgrinder
Look! Over there!!!---->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firewind Raging
The thing is, the close-minded metal fans are usually the most vocal, about certain bands not being "true metal" and such, so it appears that's what most fans are like.

That's definitely true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by progbass
from what I gathered from interviews around '05 '06 ish, nobody had any real say on Ghost Reveries besides Akerfeldt. So the relationship was deteriorating prior to Peter leaving (who if I recall left after Lopez was having his heart issues)

I remember that interview he did w/ FaceCulture that confirms that, however, he also said that Peter had a few ideas he presented to the band and that they "just weren't good enough." It sucks because even if Peter didn't contribute to songwriting much, he had an immense effect on the overall tonality. His style was very much a somber, Gothic type sound... and Fred is way on the other side of the spectrum. Fred's style is dare I say just "typical shredder" stuff. He can solo well and is a very good guitarist, but his style is just not very well suited for Opeth IMO.

Watershed was easily the worst Opeth album. I liked most of Heritage, especially the bonus track Face In The Snow. The albujms I listen to most frequently are Deliverance & Ghost Reveries... I think I wore out Still Life and BWP
guitgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:30 AM   #11711
rg_metal
The Clit Commander

Ghost Reveries was the last album I thought was worth listening to. Watershed had some good moments but overall was terrible in contrast to the other albums that preceded.

Quote:

Rate This Thread: