Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old Today, 12:26 PM   #21501
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

I'm thinking of upgrading my car next year.

I've got a 06 ST at 285bhp. I'm thinking about an 07 Nissan 370Z, a MK2 M3 or maybe even a new or used 'I had a baby so I had to sell my new' V6 Mustang, but that would have to wait another year, or even a Mercedes A45 AMG.

I'm not into the Impreza STIs, so aside from that, any suggestions?

Last edited by Mephaphil : Today at 12:29 PM.
Mephaphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:35 PM   #21502
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

M135i?

Or go for the 2.3 Mustang when it comes out next year.
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:45 PM   #21503
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Bleh. If I'm getting a Mustang I'm getting a V6.

The 135i is a good shout, but there's not a huge amount more than what I have now, and it's heavier.

Last edited by Mephaphil : Today at 12:48 PM.
Old Today, 02:49 PM   #21504
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

the 1 series is the weakest BMW in so long. Don't get one unless you like paying out the arse for parts and maintenance for something you could get significantly better bang for the buck out of

The 370 is a fine choice.
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:59 PM   #21505
Tom 1.0
Hot For Teacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephaphil
Bleh. If I'm getting a Mustang I'm getting a V6.

The 135i is a good shout, but there's not a huge amount more than what I have now, and it's heavier.

The V6 Mustang is the shit one from the last model and the base (US only model) of the new and the new 2.3 will be a beast... Failing that, a nice V8 can be had of the older ones for semi sensible priced.

The M135i is the newer one and has rave reviews.

It also beats the competition because it has the best gear box and an interesting engine (as opposed to an A45 or Golf R with their blown 4 pots).

Your car is very powerful, but if that's the only yardstick you use to measure what a car is like to drive I'm disappointed in you Phil
Tom 1.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:02 PM   #21506
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Where do you live? In NA the newest gen 1 has been changed to 2 (M235i) which has a reported 320HP but this is underrated for sure.

"the 1 series is the weakest BMW in so long."
With a turbo straight 6 at 320+bhp it is more powerful and better handling than a 3er short of M3. I'd love one. And I'm pretty sure all of the big German 3 have maintenance plans lasting 4 years so that argument is out unless you're buying non-CPO used.

The AMG and M235i are all great choices at the lower cost end.

Last edited by Xiaoxi : Today at 03:04 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:05 PM   #21507
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt. Shinysides
I did, once.

I get the appeal, since driving a 5 speed is kind of like driving classic 4-on-the-floor but with an overdrive gear, but honestly I spend most of my day driving around in 6th gear. I'm usually accelerating up through 4th and 5th, and coasting in 6th at 80km/h (engine's at a comfy 1500 rpm at this speed), its nice to have that extra 6th for fuel efficiency.

honestly, I wish I had a 7th gear. at 110 km/h on the highway my engine is turning at 2100 rpm. if that could be brought down to 1500 for cruising by a 2nd overdrive gear, my fuel economy would be so much better. the corvette tried it, and its fuel efficiency is fantastic

I guess for everyday purposes a 6 gear is welcome. But the 5 speed makes for longer revs which is fun. 7 speed is just exccessive for a manual...
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:02 PM   #21508
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom 1.0
The V6 Mustang is the shit one from the last model and the base (US only model) of the new and the new 2.3 will be a beast... Failing that, a nice V8 can be had of the older ones for semi sensible priced.

The M135i is the newer one and has rave reviews.

Your car is very powerful, but if that's the only yardstick you use to measure what a car is like to drive I'm disappointed in you Phil

That's not the case at all. Mainly speed and handling, also comfort. But I wouldn't want something that didn't have the torque I'm used to.

The Mustang is meant to handle somewhat rigidly compared to what I have now. My ST drives like a dream, it's quick, snappy in corners and is comfortable, so what I want is all those things + more. I see that the Ecoboost and the V6 have similar power outputs, but the V6 has that growl. It won't pull round bends and corners like I'm used to and neither have great reviews, nor are they going to be suitable for these roads, but you know, Mustang. It seems that in the US you have to pay extra for the Ecoboost, and here (UK) you pay more for the V6. Weird.

The 135i has a similar output to what I have now and it's larger, so what I'm saying is, it won't have the agility like my ST has, so aside from interior and prestige wouldn't it be negligible for actual driving, and isn't it possible for my lightly upgraded ST to actually perform better than a stock 135i?

I could set myself a 4 year plan and get something like this.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2002-Pors...=item4add58c9ff
Old Today, 04:59 PM   #21509
Acϵ♠
UG Board King

^^ That's a really good idea. Until something breaks. Or how does 150 quid for an oil change sound?
Acϵ♠ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:03 PM   #21510
Mephaphil
No empty frets.

Well, if I wanted it really badly I'd have the money within the year, so 150 isn't an issue. But at this time in our lives I don't think my partner would appreciate me spending that much on a car with our plans to start a family and move, so I'm looking more at used 370Zs and 135is/M3s etc and something like that would have to wait for a while.

Rate This Thread: