Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 11-20-2012, 12:31 AM   #1
mikey85123

neck alignment

I recently got a Schecter Omen 6. It is a really good guitar for the money. I like how it plays and sounds, but the pickups (especially the bridge) are not that great. Anyways, I have never noticed this on any other guitar, but there is a pretty decent gap between the neck overlay and the body.

On my Ibanez this gaps is there, but is very minute. This neck is almost positioned in a way that makes it look bent at the joint. However, the fretboard is really straight and aligned with the surface of the body.

I cannot notice any downside to this. It sounds fine, stays in tune and has minimal fret buzz. As a matter of fact, this guitar is setup better out of the box than my Ibanez RG premium was.

I am just wondering if I need to worry about it or if it is one of those situations where it doesn't matter as long as everything functions and sounds good.
mikey85123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:33 AM   #2
trashedlostfdup
land of white cannibals

cheap guitars poor QC and low quality. i had a MIM tele that had that, i sent it back to the buyer for full refund and both ways of shipping.

it probably doesn't matter a whole lot, but when i was buying a "mint" guitar that wasn't acceptable.

if you want to you can put in a shim or two, but it takes some work and may not even be worth it. the tech who appraised it so i had some ammo against the seller said like $80 including setup and restring (which there was not option to opt out on the setup and restring).

Gibsons
USA Teles
Ibanez Prestiges
Wolfgangs

amps. lots.

5F1 parts on the way
finding a AVRI Strat
looking for an attenuator.
trashedlostfdup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 02:37 AM   #3
W4RP1G
Please, call me Pig.

Post pics
W4RP1G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 08:57 AM   #4
mikey85123

I will post some pics this evening.
Old 11-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #5
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
I think it's probably just because the neck pocket isn't deep enough.

On the guitar I'm making initially the neck pocket was way too shallow so there was a big gap between the overlay and the body. This meant that even when the bridge saddles were close to their maximum height the strings were touching the frets. Which was obviously a major problem.

I've got guitars that sit flush and one that doesn't and I don't think it matters unless it is causing problems like the one above.
MegadethFan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:14 AM   #6
mikey85123

Here's a picture I took that shows what I'm talking about.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c...1120_070319.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if this is a big enough issue to return the guitar. It may just be an adjustment issue or I may be ******ed and there is nothing wrong. I just have never seen this before on other bolt on necks I have personally owned.

Last edited by mikey85123 : 11-20-2012 at 10:20 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:25 AM   #7
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
I think it's probably just because the neck pocket isn't deep enough.

On the guitar I'm making initially the neck pocket was way too shallow so there was a big gap between the overlay and the body. This meant that even when the bridge saddles were close to their maximum height the strings were touching the frets. Which was obviously a major problem.

I've got guitars that sit flush and one that doesn't and I don't think it matters unless it is causing problems like the one above.

It is causing the action to be slightly different across the neck. The stings are closer to the first fret than the 12th fret, but only enough to cause a small amount of fret buzz.

I got the guitar from sweetwater so they will pay for shipping to get me another one, but then I may just get another one with the same issue. I realize it is a cheaper guitar and that's fine. I just want it as a guitar for alternate tunings since my other guitar has a FR.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM   #8
whoomit

Fender USA, can almost fit a 1 underneath:

Your one does look a little shoddy though, not a nice clean edge at all.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Location: Like I died and went to heaven but they realised it wasn't my time so they sent me to a brewery
EDIT:
Just saw the picture and that's whack. It looks too shallow and the angle seems huge.

I'm not well versed on angled necks, could you post a picture from the same angle but the entire neck?

Last edited by MegadethFan18 : 11-20-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:11 AM   #10
mikey85123

I'm going to email my sweetwater guy and send him the picture.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #11
MegadethFan18
Judge Shredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey85123
I'm going to email my sweetwater guy and send him the picture.

Probably the best idea.

A shallow or deep pocket can be accounted for by adjusting the bridge but if the angle is off you'd need to shim it at the very least.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:29 AM   #12
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegadethFan18
Probably the best idea.

A shallow or deep pocket can be accounted for by adjusting the bridge but if the angle is off you'd need to shim it at the very least.

You can definitely tell the bridge is raised up pretty high to compensate for the shallow pocket.

I appreciate your help.
Old 11-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #13
mikey85123

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoomit
Fender USA, can almost fit a 1 underneath:

Your one does look a little shoddy though, not a nice clean edge at all.

Thanks for the comparison picture.

Rate This Thread: