Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk > Singing & Vocals
User Name  
Password
Search:

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 21 63.64%
No 12 36.36%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #1
mickel_w

Can anyone's voice sound good?

What do you think? Even if a person learns to hit the correct notes and stay in tune really well, does the timbre of someone's voice decide the outcome in the end? Basically, even if you have trained yourself to hit all the right notes, can your voice just be shit and there's nothing you could do about it?
mickel_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:00 PM   #2

With correct training you can control the tone of your voice well enugh to make it sound good unless your voice is badly damaged.
6...6...6... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:04 PM   #3
KG6_Steven
Serving Knowledge

I think there are some people who should never been handed a microphone. I've heard a lot of people say Joe Walsh never should've been a singer, but I like Joe. Just because you can hit the right notes, doesn't mean that you should sing.
KG6_Steven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM   #4
curatio

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6...6...6...
With correct training you can control the tone of your voice well enugh to make it sound good unless your voice is badly damaged.

this.
Epiphone les Paul STD
Aria nylon acoustic

amp:
Line 6 spider II 112
effects:
distortion/overdrive pedal
curatio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
NikZM

For a start i'd say having a higher range is generally considered more interesting and lively, if you want to fit in a genre like that and don't have the voice can't really do much, there's plenty of cover bands that do songs and drop it and octave and unless its acoustic, its always meh.

Secondly people can have qualities to their voice, like nasalliness that just comes out in a bad way, and they always sound whiney, ive definitely heard singers who do the tom delonge thing ten fold.

Ultimately even though the pop world all sounds the same, in the realms of metal it's the interesting voices that people remember, Draiman, M.Shadows, Tim Mcllrath, Corey Taylor, James Hetfield. Okay they may all be great technical singers but they're so recognisable and distinct (and in these cases freakin brutal) so yeah, timbre can make an average singer famous.
NikZM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:37 PM   #6
mjones1992

Unless you're completely tone deaf and can't differentiate what notes you're singing or your voice is heavily damaged, then sure!
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 08:54 PM   #7
Tyson2011

I'm a voice instructor, and what I tend to equate the voice to an instrument, because thats what it is. Anyone can learn to play an instrument, it just takes time to master, and even if you don't have as good of an instrument as the next guy, you can make it sound good.

Take for example, if you were to give Joe Satriani a Fender Squier guitar. Would he sound better with a better guitar? absolutely. BUT, he is technically proficient enough to take a "sub par" instrument, and make beautiful music with it. A good example of this is the singer from the red hot chili peppers. He is without a doubt a singer with a garbage voice, but he knows how to use it, and makes music people will pay lots of money to go see.

TL;DR: Yes. With practice, and appropriate coaching.
Tyson2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 08:56 AM   #8
KrisHQ

It's very simple really.
Unless you have a defect that somehow affects your voice, then the answer will be yes.
It's a matter of pitch and technique. Also keep in mind that good is relative when it comes to singing. Some people do not like the voice of X, others think he is a god.
KrisHQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 09:14 AM   #9
20Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisHQ
It's very simple really.
... the answer will be yes.

I disagree.

There are two ways of looking at it.

Any person answering will be aware of a singer that can sing but whose voice they don't like. For me one such person is James Blunt. He can sing sure, but his voice is still awful - in my opinion. Thus when I consider the question I answer NO. There are some voices that will still sound bad even though they can learn to sing.

Another way of looking at it is that assuming a person can actually sing there will still be people that find their voice unappealing. But there will also be people that find the same voice very likeable. James Blunt's voice is liked by many people who think it's good. And so anybody that can actually sing on pitch with good technique will have people that find their voice to be good. Thus anyone can have a good voice.

I believe the simple answer is NO by using the first argument above but from a first person perspective.

A person might learn to sing well but still find the timbre of their own singing voice unappealing or not good in accordance with their own taste and judgement. If so there really is not a lot they can do about it. Regardless of whether other people disagreem not everyone will like the sound of their own voice- even after training to achieve good pitch control and technique.

This says nothing about whether they should or shouldn't like their own voice. The argument I am making is simply that if there exist people described in the previous paragraph then the answer to the question is NO.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:53 AM   #10
KrisHQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Tigers
I disagree.

There are two ways of looking at it.

Any person answering will be aware of a singer that can sing but whose voice they don't like. For me one such person is James Blunt. He can sing sure, but his voice is still awful - in my opinion. Thus when I consider the question I answer NO. There are some voices that will still sound bad even though they can learn to sing.

Another way of looking at it is that assuming a person can actually sing there will still be people that find their voice unappealing. But there will also be people that find the same voice very likeable. James Blunt's voice is liked by many people who think it's good. And so anybody that can actually sing on pitch with good technique will have people that find their voice to be good. Thus anyone can have a good voice.

I believe the simple answer is NO by using the first argument above but from a first person perspective.

A person might learn to sing well but still find the timbre of their own singing voice unappealing or not good in accordance with their own taste and judgement. If so there really is not a lot they can do about it. Regardless of whether other people disagreem not everyone will like the sound of their own voice- even after training to achieve good pitch control and technique.

This says nothing about whether they should or shouldn't like their own voice. The argument I am making is simply that if there exist people described in the previous paragraph then the answer to the question is NO.

Well. That's exactly what I was saying.
It will always be subjective if you like a singers tone/style or not. But just because a specific individual (you or me) dislike a particular singer, that does not make them a bad singer.
The most objective answer we can get is yes.
Not liking your own voice is a totally different scenario. It's simply because we're used to hearing ourselves another way, just like most people do not like seeing themselves on pictures because those are reversed compared to a mirror, which we most commonly use to see ourselves.
If you look at someone through a mirror they might also seem weird depending on how symmetrical/asymmetrical they are.
Humans very quickly normalize things, and generally we do not like alterations to what we perceive as normal.
Another example is people that look weird without their glasses, if you're used to seeing them with glasses.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:30 AM   #11
Jehannum
Registered Abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjones1992
Unless you're completely tone deaf and can't differentiate what notes you're singing or your voice is heavily damaged, then sure!

So that's a NO then. You've listed exceptions that mean not everyone can sound good.
Jehannum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:00 AM   #12
Tempoe
. . . ∆ . . .

no, I know a guy who hits every note but I hate his voice, it makes me wince
Tempoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
Bikewer

Define "good". Many of my favorite singer/songwriters are guys who can barely be said to sing at all... John Prine, Tom Waits, Ray Wylie Hubbard, Kris Kristofferson.....

However, they all do material that suits them, as did their progenitor, (IMO) Dave Van Ronk.
What they are doing sounds fine done in that raspy, growly voice.

But whether you think that's "good" or not is another matter. Compared to Tony Bennett or Luciano Pavarotti... Probably not.

Most people can be taught to sing decently well. Some can't. They have severe problems with whatever brain function allows singing, and cannot sing on pitch and in some cases can't even hear music without it sounding like random noise.
Oliver Sacks details such problems in his book, Musicophelia.
Bikewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #14
KrisHQ

To avoid an endless discussion, I think we need to establish what defines "good" like Bikewer said.
If being a good singer is being universally liked, then there are no good singers at all.
A good singer to me is able to sing in pitch (does not have to be clean as an autotuned singer) , that shows great variety in his style and versatility. He/she needs fairly good technique which includes articulation, projection etc.
Tone has nothing to say. Though that does not mean that I subjectively like all singers, but even if i dislike someones voice, they can still be good singers.
If THIS is the general perception the answer to OP's question will be yes. Not every person will be a legendary singer, since there are some genetic restrictions but any normally healthy person can with time, dedication and guidance become a good singer.
Old 02-05-2014, 02:54 AM   #15
mjones1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jehannum
So that's a NO then. You've listed exceptions that mean not everyone can sound good.

Eh. Pretty rare exceptions, if you ask me. I mean we're talking about people that are borderline disabled here..
mjones1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:32 AM   #16
Blackst4r
in Gibson we trust

This question is bias.

a.Can everyones voice sound good, NO.....people that are tone deaf and or have no sense of rythm will always be terrible singers....ifyou donīt believeme, google "idol try outs"

b. Define good: i.e that is very subjective to the listener.....what is good singing and what is not, for example: why does one guy say the singer in RHCP is terrible when he has the ability to sing in tune, is it because he canīt sing opera....end what sayīs that that is "good singing"?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #17
Sethis

^I agree. If you feel content with what you got and you're able to sing in a way that's expressive and suitable you don't really need to do much else.

But remember that even a singer's timbre is not fixed, except perhaps for their normal speaking voice. The voice we use while singing can be altered so much you might even have trouble recognizing it's the same person...for good or for bad. Often all it takes is a change of technique.
Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
johnturner9

Yes. Somewhere on the Earth, you're guaranteed to find one person that thinks your voice is "good". But it's a subjective question, one that hinges on a lot of emotional reasoning and cannot be qualified logically.

Listen to the band Placebo. Taken at face value, many people can acknowledge the singers tone is whiny/grating, but many love his singing. There are many more bands that follow/followed this same suit, I'm sure you've heard some.

Vocal imperfection begets style, without it, music would be pretty dry. This is reflected in instrumentation, as well. Is heavy distortion tonally perfect? Certainly not, but the style is enjoyable. A violin that uses dissonance before the resolution sounds momentarily horrid, but it adds to the enjoyment of the piece.

So, yeah, I believe anyone's voice can sound good. Moreover, I believe a "bad" voice could create "good" music.

This is solely my perspective, by no means am I assuming I'm right.

Last edited by johnturner9 : 02-06-2014 at 10:12 PM.
johnturner9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: