Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-20-2015, 10:26 AM   #1761
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

i'm only on the 3rd part of Volume 1, so i think i've only seen Buckingham's art.

where does Medina start?

only comment about Buckingham's art: the part where Bigby is wearing what looks like a banana hammock weirded me out a little bit.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:31 AM   #1762
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmellspoo
i'm only on the 3rd part of Volume 1, so i think i've only seen Buckingham's art.

where does Medina start?

only comment about Buckingham's art: the part where Bigby is wearing what looks like a banana hammock weirded me out a little bit.

Actually, you got it the wrong way around :P

Vol.1 Legends in Exile is Medina. And then Vol.2 Animal Farm is Mark Buckingham.

Have only just finished Deluxe Edition Book 3, but I think by that point Buckingham became main penciler. Not sure if Medina is anything more than a guest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Nero Galon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 10:40 AM   #1763
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

oh!

well then, i'll take a look and compare. i probably didn't even notice there was a different artist because i've been taking month long breaks from reading it.

TWD also lost their initial artist, but the differences between Medina and Buckingham aren't as starkly different as Tony Moore and Charlie Adlard.

i'll take a closer look when i get farther into the Animal Farm stuff.
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
Old 03-21-2015, 03:32 PM   #1764
cornmancer
Thou mayest

I've been reading a bunch of stuff in my limited free time lately, but none of it has been as good as King City. That shit is awesome. Imagine Scott Pilgrim but Scott just broke up with Ramona. Also hip hop instead of video games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Off Jill
I think I'm going to the KC comic con next weekend. You hitting that shit up Dan?

I wanted to, but didn't have the money. Not too upset tho, because all the comic store owners I know HATE the organizers of that one. I guess there's comiccon with different organizers in August so I'll probably go to that.
Anyway, how was it?

Film Thread Blog
My letterboxd that I don't use much
cornmancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 03:58 PM   #1765
cornmancer
Thou mayest

Re: Batgirl cover and The Killing Joke
1. The Killing Joke sucks, and not because misogyny. It sucks because it's just not very good. People love it because it has Joker, and those people are lame. Go read Swamp Thing. It's better Killing Joke, and some of its arcs run circles around Watchmen, which which is also good but you probably already know that.
2. I don't find the cover that upsetting, but some people do and that's fine. I don't think the cover should have been pulled, but i think both sides of this argument have valid points, and both are also being argued primarily by irritating dumb ****s screaming on twitter. If the artist did in fact hear the response and take it as constructive criticism and decide to pull it, I think that's fine. However, if people threatened the artist or DC asked them to pull it, that is a problem in my book. Regardless, it's no reason for the entire internet to lose it's mind. Why can't we all just chill and have a rational discussion?
3. Before you try and tell me what I am and am not and what I should or should not think, I am very much so a feminist, bit I don't have an opinion on how Barbra was treated in Killing Joke b/c its been a long ass time since I read it and I intwnd to keep it that way.
4. I do really like the black and white comic in the back of TKJ where some random dude shoots Batman.

Film Thread Blog
Old 03-21-2015, 06:14 PM   #1766
homeless-john
authentic kung fu action

I've been reading Hugo Tate. It's not something I'd usually read but it was collected in a lovely big book, the artwork was interesting, it had a foreword by Garth Ennis and, most importantly, it was a fiver.

I really enjoyed it. It has interesting characters and it captures a lot of nuances very well. Usually when I buy a comic because it's cheap I end up with really banal shit but I'm happy it worked out so well this time.
homeless-john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:28 PM   #1767
Victory2134
UG's Pedo

I am amazed that there are so many people who don't like the killing joke. I've always been under the impression that it was loved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
>vic
Victory2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #1768
Fisheth24
I play Bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory2134
I am amazed that there are so many people who don't like the killing joke. I've always been under the impression that it was loved.

I really like it.

Vintage Modified Squier Jazz V
BC Rich WMD Widow 5
Vintage EST96 (Musicman copy)

JCM 800
Orange Bass Terror
Harley Benton 4X10.
Fisheth24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2015, 07:02 PM   #1769
Victory2134
UG's Pedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisheth24
I really like it.

Me too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DimebagLivesOn
>vic
Victory2134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 05:06 AM   #1770
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

i like the Killing Joke just for the Joker.

suck it, corn.

specifically the unreliable narrator thing they use with him telling his backstory and the implied ending.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:07 AM   #1771
cornmancer
Thou mayest

I will say that I like the idea of his back story being 'multiple choice.'

There are okay things about, but ultimately I just think it's eh. But then I see all the hype and I feel like I have to say I really dislike it just to counterbalance the hype.
Also, if you like The Killing Joke, read Alan Moore's Swamp Thing. That deserves more hype. It's the realest shit.

Film Thread Blog
Old 03-27-2015, 03:21 PM   #1772
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

yeah, i've been meaning to read Swamp Thing but i've got too much shit i'm in the middle of already.

Killing Joke isn't my favorite Batman comic anyway. that probably goes to The Long Halloween for now. need to get started on Dark Victory. need to finish the Fables book i have first though.

i'm still skeptical about this Ryan Reynolds Deadpool movie, but this has me just a little bit excited.

Last edited by jakesmellspoo : 03-27-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 PM   #1773
Shabalaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesmellspoo
yeah, i've been meaning to read Swamp Thing but i've got too much shit i'm in the middle of already.

Killing Joke isn't my favorite Batman comic anyway. that probably goes to The Long Halloween for now. need to get started on Dark Victory. need to finish the Fables book i have first though.

i'm still skeptical about this Ryan Reynolds Deadpool movie, but this has me just a little bit excited.

If you like The Long Halloween you'll like Dark Victory. I really need to reread it because I can't really remember large portions of it.

Knightfall pt. 1 is certainly worth a read if wanted something batman to put on your list. It's not aged particularly well (it's a bit goofy at times and the technology will make you giggle), and there are a few lulls in the story (it's worth noting the novel is fucking huge btw so it's to be expected), but it gathers some real pace in sections and will definitely keep you wanting to come back. I thought the ending scene with bane (he's the main villain so I'm not really spoiling anything ) was really, really good.

To be completely honest, I've never even read Deadpool. That said, that footage that got leaked (pretty intentionally iirc) was absolutely awesome so I can't wait for the film to come out.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #1774
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

i started reading Knightfall a few years ago, but i had trouble getting into it. something about the art style just didn't click with me. that, and i was reading scans on the computer and i just can't do that shit anymore.

i'm gonna read it eventually, but i've been kind of trying to go through the Batman comics in a kind of chronological perspective starting with Year One.

i've skipped around a little bit, but after i finish Dark Victory i'm gonna try and go back and pick up Prey.

well, that's after i finish Fables Book One, Grendel, and Hellblazer Vol. 1. and make a dent in the other book books i have. and probably once i buy and finish the last two Preacher books.

i tend to bite off more than i can chew.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:09 PM   #1775
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Still though I can get through graphic novels/comics pretty damn fast. 250 pages only takes me about 2 or 3 short night sessions and that is me holding back because I don't want to read everything in one go and expand the time of enjoyment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal4eva_22
What's this about ****ing corpses? My UG senses were tingling.
Nero Galon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:03 AM   #1776
theguitarist
I closed your thread.

I can get through the average graphic novel in an hour tops and the longer ones in 2-3 hrs.

reading them fast is a habit from when I first started reading them as a kid, I had everything in my mother's collection to read (like ~400 books at the time) so would over indulge and read stacks over the weekend and also get comics from the library which was a big one that had quite a big shelf space for comics considering the time (90s) and got regularly updated (think the manager was a comic nerd).

I had started to try and slow down as I've gotten older but now I work and go out and stuff, I rarely have time to read comics (most of my reading is while on transport and I dare wouldn't bring comics out). Right now I have a stack of graphic novels to read that is 5 foot in total, so that speed is actually a benefit if I can force myself to put aside an hour for cutting down that reading stack.

avoiding buying anything new partly because of the stack but also because the shelving we got to store all the books (all bagged up) is already filled and it's a bit of a debate about where we put the new stuff. think some stuff might actually have to be boxed up and shoved in a closet for once.

O__o

Goodbye and Good Luck
theguitarist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 04:49 AM   #1777
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

i tend to zip through books (and comics/graphic novels especially), but i've been busy/tired from work and i've been playing a lot of video games lately so all of my time is pretty much booked. lol

Rate This Thread: