Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings > Tabs & Chords
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-04-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

New song in progress, prog metal (GP4)

More random jibbering metal from me. Bit more technical than previous stuff, but also more melodic, with added wierd. C4C's.

Not sure what I want critting on it, but opinions would be good too.
Attached Files
File Type: gp4 supertech.gp4 (26.3 KB, 254 views)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:34 PM   #2
CheesyMozarella
Slacker

Right, so I get that it's not finished but I find the chugging in the third section at bar 18 a bit distracting. You might sort this out when you're adding drums etc though. The section that starts at bar 62 also weirds me out a bit, I don't really know why though. Probably the choice of chords (quite subjective).

Other than that it sounds fine.

Soundcloud:
https://soundcloud.com/laserost
CheesyMozarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
EpiExplorer
Pulling straws at random

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheesyMozarella
Right, so I get that it's not finished but I find the chugging in the third section at bar 18 a bit distracting. You might sort this out when you're adding drums etc though. The section that starts at bar 62 also weirds me out a bit, I don't really know why though. Probably the choice of chords (quite subjective).

Other than that it sounds fine.

Yeah, it sounds better when I reverse the pattern at bar 18, but then it sounds a little predictable. Kinda like it sounding a bit off kilter.

the bum-ish notes in 62 are meant to be crazy bends but they just sound goofy in MIDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ometh
Eip pls
EpiExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy

Finish this. I want to hear it with drums.

Just a couple criticisms: Second clean chord in bar 30 sounds off, not in a good way. Second chord in bar 52 sounds off as well - I managed to fix it a bit by changing track 3 to 5x5232. Tracks 2 and 1 worked well together, but the chord in track 3 clashed a bit.

I loved bar 62, but I think the transition into 75 could be smoothed out a bit.

Yeah, besides that... Pretty intense song, and there's not much else I want out of this kind of music, haha. The repetition of that riff at bar 53 is badass.

This creature sleeps beyond the flow of time
RedDeath9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:52 AM   #5
slap-a-bass
Slapper of the bass

13/16 \m/\m/\m/\m/
slap-a-bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:26 PM   #6
Ometh
nobody

Hope you don't feel bad about this, but from what I recall I didn't particularly enjoy this piece. I still am going to stay as unbiased as possible, and still like that song you posted before and recorded, I dunno if I ever critted that, that was cool.
Oh well, here we go. The intro is pretty cool. The lack of drums kinda annoys me, since I tend to give way too much attention to them. Don't really know if 5/6 is an appropriate transition to the next riff, still sounds good. While I don't really like the the next rhythmin riff, the progression was cool. The next riff is pretty cool, but I still don't really like the more chuggy bits. 23 feels a bit djent-y for my taste, still solid riff wise. The downwards clean arpeggio thing at 25 is an awesome touch, I'll give you that, and the harmonization of that one little note in the next riff is really nice. 31/33 is an awesome transition, and while once again I don't really dig the chuggy riff it is a prety good use of 7/8. The progression is pretty cool too lol. This might sound really dumb, but most of these staccato riffs sound like something The Faceless would come up, maybe as staccato-y, maybe not. I haven't listened to them for a few years at least, but it's something that would fit the second album (Planetary Duality, is that it? Too lazy to check lol). And the tapped clean riffs are cool too lol. Ok, where was I? Oh yeah, the riff at 43, that's what remind me of The Faceless lol.
51/52 is sweeet. Repetition of a previous theme, with a nice transition that throws you off a bit, that's cool. Chordy riff at 62 is pretty cool. I like 68/73, it keeps you guessing where it's going next lol. 74 is nifty, and it'll sound better in a realy recording. Repetition of a previous chuggy theme, doesn't get stale. And it ended lol. The ending was quite abrupt, but it feels right in context I guess. Overall, although it isn't really my thing, 8/10. It was a solid piece for what it was.
If you wanna crit back (plz do lol), this sound would be cool: http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/foru...d.php?t=1591449 . You didn't crit the other one properly but at least you told me how you felt about it I guess lol.
Ometh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 11:27 PM   #7
ben bobby oh

I'd say its pretty badass man

Rate This Thread: