Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 12-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #1
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

I need some help with these tuner pedals

I'm thinking about picking up a stompbox-style tuner for gigs and such, but I'm not sure which of these two I should go for:

Korg Pitchblack

Korg Pitchblack+

I've heard nothing but good vibes about the Pitchblack tuners, which is why I'm looking at those. I'm open to other options, but the purpose of this thread is to find out if there is any reason for me to spend the extra cash on the + version.

I tune to Eb tuning and Drop Db tuning exclusively live. I only use one guitar, although I always take a backup. My gutiar holds tuning like a champ, but I always like to check it before we start. I want something accurate that I can use when I intonate my guitars and such, something easy and painless so that I can tune easily on the fly at shows, and something reliable that will last and hold up to wear and tear. I don't want features I won't use and I don't want to spend extra money for pointless features.

Which of these two will be best for me? I'm leaning toward the regular Pitchblack, but will it tune to Eb without being a pain in the ass?
Blktiger0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
thetoneranger

I have the pitchblack and it does everything wonderfully, get it and dont look back.
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetoneranger
I have the pitchblack and it does everything wonderfully, get it and dont look back.

My Main issue is: Does it do flat/sharp tunings easily? I tune to Eb/Drop Db which some tuners I've used have been a huge pain to try and tune to.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
thetoneranger

yes, I do E, Eb, Drop D, Drop Db and Drop C all the time without issue, its a great pedal.
thetoneranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blktiger0
My Main issue is: Does it do flat/sharp tunings easily? I tune to Eb/Drop Db which some tuners I've used have been a huge pain to try and tune to.

yes

i bought a pitchblack over a polytune and all the others people generally recommend.

i bought my pitchblack at full high street value from Dawsons music in Liverpool and it was 1p shy of 60 but it's worth all the money, it's so quick picking up the note, some tuners think about what they're doing before they tell you what note you're playing etc but the pitchblack is so precise and spot-on i seriously can't fault it

you can also use it as a power-supply to other nearby pedals too, if you wanted too...

edit: the pitchblack+ is essentially just 2 pitchblacks in one pedal so 2 guitarists can tune at the same time.

Last edited by Dempsey68 : 12-03-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:25 PM   #6
Blktiger0
The Name's Devon! ;)

Thanks, guys, I'm gonna go with the standard Pitchblack, then
Old 12-03-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

go for a turbo tuner. a bit more expensive, but there's an extremely high chance that you won't sell it until you quit guitar.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:03 AM   #8
Dempsey68
UG's John Mayer Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
go for a turbo tuner. a bit more expensive, but there's an extremely high chance that you won't sell it until you quit guitar.

or he could get a pitchblack which is cheaper than said 'turbo tuner' and does the job exceptionally well.
Dempsey68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:42 AM   #9
NakedInTheRain
Registered Muser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey68
or he could get a pitchblack which is cheaper than said 'turbo tuner' and does the job exceptionally well.

or he could get something which has practically no used market, because they are that good. you can get used pitchblacks and polytunes all day.

UG's Best Small Pedalboard 2013

Last edited by NakedInTheRain : 12-04-2012 at 07:45 AM. Reason: claritah.
NakedInTheRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 AM   #10
cdr_salamander
or simply Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by NakedInTheRain
or he could get something which is practically no used market for, because they are that good. you can get used pitchblacks and polytunes all day.

I actually got to use a Turbo Tuner for the first time yesterday. Pretty cool pedal once you get used to the whole moving circle deal. Might consider buying one.

'10 Gibson Firebird V
Marshall SL5
cdr_salamander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM   #11
AndyGray
UG Addict

Buy a used TU-2. Can't beat them with any other pedals in my mind.
AndyGray is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: