Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Techniques
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-22-2013, 01:39 AM   #1
Chorstman

Harm in alternate tunings?

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if you guys thought there was any harm in spending time learning songs in alternate tunings. Some of my favorite guitarists (Ben Howard, Andy McKee, Antoine Dufour) only use alternate tunings. Obviously with these tunings you don't learn how to do things (improvise,write, etc) in standard tuning. So should these be avoided until you are comfortable with standard tuning? Or just spend time on both?

Thanks!
Chorstman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 AM   #2
socrfb

Learning songs in alternate tunings? No harm in it. In fact, it'll actually be beneficial in a way because you'll be learning things you want to learn, which will keep you interested in playing. The only way it may be harmful is if you start to ignore standard tuning all together before you've become familiar with it. Learn scales, chords, etc. in standard tuning, then learn where they are in an alternate tuning and learn what else that tuning has to offer.
socrfb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #3
megano28
EAT DA POO POO!

The only reason I don't do it is because I play by my ear and I'm accustomed to being able to play based on hearing and muscle memory and changing the tuning would make me have to visualize the keyboard more than I care to.

There's nothing wrong with it at all, but you may have to approach it a different way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostLegion
arsenal must hate tea, because they ain't got any cups
megano28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
monkey801

If you can handle learning more than one tuning at a time, go for it. If it confuses you when you get back to standard though, I'd wait a little while. Personally it's easy for me to adjust to a new tuning, in the middle of learning Weak and Powerless by A Perfect Circle (c# f# b e g# c#) I figured out a couple cool riffs and started writing. Now I play in that tuning somewhat frequently, though not too often because its inconvenient. Haha.

Everyone is different, the way your mind works could be great for alternate tunings as a beginner. If not, don't stress it. You'll constantly find your strengths and weaknesses just like me or anyone else, just make sure to not ignore the weaknesses!
monkey801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
jkielq91

If some of your favourites are in alternate tunings then experiement with alternate tunings. You may well find you want to right with them.

An anthemic fusion of punk, electric blues and rock n roll.

https://soundcloud.com/jake-quincey

http://www.reverbnation.com/jakequincey
jkielq91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: