Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Guitar Gear & Accessories
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM   #1
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

Anyone have experience with the iStomp?

I recently read a glowing review of Digitech's iStomp, after which it seemed to me very much worth the money. Does anyone have experience with these, and if so, what are your thoughts on it?
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
gumbilicious
beginner

i have seen them, i have my reservations. it actually seems like a platform to push the junk that wouldn't sell by itself. that is only speculation though.

i would imagine it could do a decent delay, but i wouldn't trust it for OD/distortions (cuz digitech just doesn't seem to nail the DSP distortions). and it could possible do a good reverb, possibly has some useable modulation effects.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
gumbilicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 04:40 PM   #3
lucky1978
Blues Kazooist

I have an irig and GarageBand for iPod touch but doesn't sound all that great so I almost never use it. I think the istomp just raises the level of meh another $150
lucky1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 08:50 PM   #4
ThrashUnleashed
caught w/the wack calzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky1978
I have an irig and GarageBand for iPod touch but doesn't sound all that great so I almost never use it. I think the istomp just raises the level of meh another $150

I've heard otherwise, but opinion appreciated.
ThrashUnleashed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
zl1288

I love that smartphones/tablets are providing tools for guitar players, I use GarageBand and amp kit a lot for recording demos and silent practice. That being said, the istomp seems very gimmicky...

$150 will get you a pretty decent multi fx used, which will sound much better IMO and allow you to use multiple effects at once
zl1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:39 AM   #6
onemattband

Thumbs up

I respectfully disagree with zl1288. I have two iStomps and I can tell you that they are anything but a gimmick. If you're familiar with any of DigiTech's amazing amp and fx models, you'll be amazed at what they've been able to do with them. I challenge you zl1288 to go to GC or any other store and try one out for yourself. With respect to the amp and fx models I referred to, these sound updated and as real as the real thing. I found out they use an entire processor chip (DNA2) for one pedal sound. Plus, they keep coming out with new pedals that don't exist. If you want to try out a new pedal, you can demo them for 5 minutes each without having to buy. It's great when I'm looking for a new sound in my studio and I don't feel like running down to the local music store to sort through a bunch of fxs and then have to put down $100+ on a new sound....especially when this thing sounds as good if not better than any pedal I've ever tried. I'm not kidding! I was skeptical too at the start, but after hearing it, you'll be converted.
onemattband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by onemattband
I respectfully disagree with zl1288. I have two iStomps and I can tell you that they are anything but a gimmick. If you're familiar with any of DigiTech's amazing amp and fx models, you'll be amazed at what they've been able to do with them. I challenge you zl1288 to go to GC or any other store and try one out for yourself. With respect to the amp and fx models I referred to, these sound updated and as real as the real thing. I found out they use an entire processor chip (DNA2) for one pedal sound. Plus, they keep coming out with new pedals that don't exist. If you want to try out a new pedal, you can demo them for 5 minutes each without having to buy. It's great when I'm looking for a new sound in my studio and I don't feel like running down to the local music store to sort through a bunch of fxs and then have to put down $100+ on a new sound....especially when this thing sounds as good if not better than any pedal I've ever tried. I'm not kidding! I was skeptical too at the start, but after hearing it, you'll be converted.

You write like an infomercial, it irks me.
I would assume that the delay/reverb and other modulations would be fine, the distortions might even be okay, I've found a couple of pretty decent distortion Vst's. However I would highly recommend a long period of trial with this and really work it out to see if it'll do what you want, there are some really sub-par digital effects out there and what my fear would be that this is just a large collection of those. Really just try it out for a good long time to see if the effects are satisfactory.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:08 AM   #8
joe_k
stereo amp connaisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viban
You write like an infomercial, it irks me.

+1

This is what Bill Hicks has to say to you

joe_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 AM   #9
Viban
UG's resident bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_k
+1

This is what Bill Hicks has to say to you

I have school in the morning and should have been asleep three hours ago, but instead I"m on here watching this, even though I'm sure I'll pay for this in the morning that two minutes of comedy was beyond worth it. Thank you for adding a silver lining to my misery to be.
Viban is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: