Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Musician Talk
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-09-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Jobs in recording, producing, etc.

What kinds of jobs are there in the music industry that are more in the studio such as producing? Are there any others worth looking into? I know there's always room for business people, and a&r (although I've read prospects are starting to not look too great for a&r people due to, believe it or not, automatization), but I'm more interested in finding out about the more technology/audio engineering-oriented part of the field.

Also, if anybody knows of any companies, or whatever, where they hold such jobs, could you please write those down? I'm planning on contacting such companies to do a little bit of a personal survey.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #2
Xiaoxi
Indeed.

Your approach to this the completely wrong way. In the real world, and this is especially true of the music industry, you don't just "apply for jobs". You're gonna "contact those companies?" What makes you think they'll even give you the time of the day?

To be sure, these jobs exist. But the notion that if you just go to college, get a degree, and deserve a job by applying is becoming more and more obsolete. You have to show that you HAVE DONE (not can do) these jobs with top quality professionalism. You want to produce? Exactly what project/artist have you produced so far? You want to record/engineer? Do you even have a portfolio of studio records that you've engineered? And let's just say you do have these things. Why should a studio, label, or artist hire you to produce / engineer for them as opposed to hundreds of others who are probably more talented than you? Are you friends with anyone who would be compelled to vouch for you? If not, you don't stand a chance. This is the way it works in the real world. You don't deserve this kind of job until you've practically created it yourself.

Analyzing Brahms: Insights to Help Us Improve Our Music

My New Workstation

Last edited by Xiaoxi : 01-09-2013 at 01:11 PM.
Xiaoxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
CryogenicHusk
wannabe guitarist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiaoxi
Your approach to this the completely wrong way. In the real world, and this is especially true of the music industry, you don't just "apply for jobs". You're gonna "contact those companies?" What makes you think they'll even give you the time of the day?

To be sure, these jobs exist. But the notion that if you just go to college, get a degree, and deserve a job by applying is becoming more and more obsolete. You have to show that you HAVE DONE (not can do) these jobs with top quality professionalism. You want to produce? Exactly what project/artist have you produced so far? You want to record/engineer? Do you even have a portfolio of studio records that you've engineered? And let's just say you do have these things. Why should a studio, label, or artist hire you to produce / engineer for them as opposed to hundreds of others who are probably more talented than you? Are you friends with anyone who would be compelled to vouch for you? If not, you don't stand a chance. This is the way it works in the real world. You don't deserve this kind of job until you've practically created it yourself.

I think you misunderstood me (blame lies with me, since I wasn't clear to begin with. Happens a lot these days). I wasn't going to call inquiring about job openings (even in my field you wouldn't do that. Don't know about all the other fields). I just wanted information from people in the field, since I don't know much about it (only people I know who've done studio work did it independently and have no ambition to pursue a real career in the field). You're right, they might not even give me the time of the day, but hopefully a handful could answer some questions (with 2-3 people I got answers from, I'd be happy). Coincidentally, your post did answer some of the questions I'd ask about how it works, so thanks.

Not looking for such a job at this time and probably won't be for a year or two, since I don't have a relevant portfolio (something I know I need if I even hope to have a chance. I'm starting to work on it, though). Plus I think it's safe to say that ANY job in pretty much any field will be interested in seeing what you've done rather than what you could do (it's why we submit our CV, which contains what we've done). I guess I wanted to find out about the prospects in the field (like I said, prospects don't look good for the a&r man according to what I've read, for example), and what to work on in the next few years if I want to get started in that path among other things. Of course I would write them down in an organized fashion before I called anybody.

One more specific question, since you brought it up... Let's say you've never produced a big name, but have a portfolio with production of your own work or a local artist's and it is pretty good: Would most potential employers care more about how big the name of the artists you've produced are, or would they care just as much for the quality of your work?

Last edited by CryogenicHusk : 01-09-2013 at 04:50 PM.
CryogenicHusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CryogenicHusk
One more specific question, since you brought it up... Let's say you've never produced a big name, but have a portfolio with production of your own work or a local artist's and it is pretty good: Would most potential employers care more about how big the name of the artists you've produced are, or would they care just as much for the quality of your work?

Both, I would say, but quality would trump name recognition. You don't want to be "that guy that produced that really sh!tty sounding album by The Sewer Trolls." It would be better to have a brilliant recording by a little-known artist that won a community music award for "producer of the year."

I have replied to questions similar to this before often enough that I just added it to my blog. This might help:

http://greenroommusicblog.blogspot....erengineer.html

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: