Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Instruments > Electric Guitar
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 03-17-2013, 03:36 AM   #21
ferrad1

ok point taken, what about randywolf244's selection? "Rogue G10 10W 1x3.5 Guitar Combo Amp" $33 and has good reviews at www.musiciansfriend.com
ferrad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:41 AM   #22
pinheadslts75
BrainDamage

Pricier but better: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...-cube-combo-amp

And yes, there's a headphone jack.
pinheadslts75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:19 AM   #23
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randywolf244
Dude I play out of a zoom modeling amp is picked up used when I was 15, if I had gotten that when I was 8 it would have just confused the piss out of me lol

Dude, Roland Microcube is almost as simple as a modeling amp (or any amp) can get. The layout of the knobs is just so easy to understand. There's a "sound" knob that gives you different sounds and it also tells what kind of sounds they are. I don't think the meaning of "tone" and "volume" need to be explained. Then there are effect types that are also explained and you learn how they sound by just tweaking them.

It doesn't have any presets or that kind of confusing stuff. And that's what I like about it. You don't have any screens or random knobs like some modeling amps do.

I actually think it's more simple than my Laney VC30 that has two channels and three band EQ. It's more easy to understand what the knobs on a Microcube do than what the knobs on my Laney do.

Roland Microcube is a good investment. You won't regret it. It's not too loud and has a lot of different options and it sounds pretty good. And it's not too expensive. You have to pay money to get quality. $100 for an instrument/amp is very cheap. Most instruments and amps cost five times the price. For example I bet the violin she's using costs much more than that.

And don't look at the reviews at Musician's Friend. Most of them have just bought the product and are beginners. And of course they want to put good reviews there because they want to sell the stuff.

If you want better reviews check out the reviews here in UG. Though there are also bad reviews here. I think the best place to get advice is here in UG forums.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 03-17-2013 at 05:23 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
ferrad1

ok I reckon it's either the Fender Frontman 10G or Rogue G10:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampl...uitar-combo-amp

both are reasonably priced and if she wants to go further we can upgrade.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:09 AM   #25
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Why not Microcube? You don't need to upgrade from Microcube in years. And it's not that much more expensive than those.

I mean, if those are anything like the basic starter amps (that I pretty much assume), the distortion will sound terrible and the clean will sound sterile. You need to spend at least $100 on an amp to get decent sounds. Also you could look if you can find a used Microcube. They are much cheaper used, you might get them for half the price of a new one.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c

Last edited by MaggaraMarine : 03-17-2013 at 06:11 AM.
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:19 AM   #26
ferrad1

Roland Micro Cube would be my next choice however it is double the price. Not really a big deal, trouble is I don't know if she's going to continue or not. My reasoning is that I can buy something reasonable, and if she wants to continue, I can upgrade to a really good one $250+.
Old 03-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #27
MaaZeus

I agree with people saying not to buy a small POS for first practice amp. Having a poor sound demotivates very effectively where as having a good equipment inspires even if you cant play a damn thing yet. Modelers are even better because they mimic several different amplifiers. If you get bored with one amp model, you can switch to another one.

However you didnt mention (or I didnt see atleast) what your daughter listens to? What kind of music he intents to play? Not all amps are equal but excel in different things. If she likes modern rock and metal, she needs high gain amp and not all amps can do that, there is just not enough preamp distortion available. Smallest Peavey Vypyr is cheap and good starter amp for high gainy stuff.

Browse Thomanns site and check out different combo amps and listen the samples provided to get the idea what they sound like in different kinds of music. For example here is the Vypyr 15 I mentioned.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_vypyr_15.htm

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Peavey Valveking 100 MESA MOD
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3

Last edited by MaaZeus : 03-17-2013 at 08:41 AM.
MaaZeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:56 AM   #28
ferrad1

I found a used Fender Frontman 15G from Firmbarn Ltd in UK for 30 (as-new through Amazon). Seems to be a good deal for starters. BTW my daughter isn't into rock yet (more pop), but this might swing her!
Old 03-17-2013, 09:40 AM   #29
crzywhiteboy
Too Cool To Post

Unless she's playing more modern Metal, most amps overdrive will be more then enough.
I would as well suggest the Roland Micro Cube.
Or something like a Pocked POD where you can get a whole lot of different tones out of it but would need to use it with headphones or connect it to some descent speakers. That is a little more work then a simple plug and play amp.

Also would check out local pawn shops or craigslist to see if you could find some good deals. There are allot of guitar playing in this world always buying new thing just got have new things. You might be able to find a good deal.
crzywhiteboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:41 AM   #30
whyze250f
UG's OCD resident.

Pick up a 15-30w modelling amp... roland cube, peavey vypyr would be great choices. dont get one of those crappy pocket amps they are impractical as a main amp. Even a line 6 spider is a better choice than a pocket amp.
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
whyze250f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:22 AM   #31
randomguy2000
<3's ToppScore

please, please don't get the frontman.
roland cube. or a fender mustang would be perfect for pop (it excels at cleans).

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

randomguy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:00 PM   #32
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrad1
I found a used Fender Frontman 15G from Firmbarn Ltd in UK for 30 (as-new through Amazon). Seems to be a good deal for starters. BTW my daughter isn't into rock yet (more pop), but this might swing her!

I used to have one of them, they're really not all that great. Not to mention I got it in 2005; modelling amps have come on a long way since then.

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."

Last edited by eddiehimself : 03-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
eddiehimself is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:24 PM   #33
ferrad1

ok I'll try cancel the order with amazon on the Frontman. If it goes through I'll get the Roland or Peavey.

Rate This Thread: