Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > Music > Recordings
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 10-01-2013, 10:47 AM   #1
collinthewhale

Looking for a complete Recording Software

Can anyone give some ideas of complete softwares for PC? I'm looking around $100 and I definitely wouldn't go above $150. I'm thinking about Mixcraft, Reaper, and FL Studio Fruity. I really don't know anything about Reaper or FL Sudio. So can anyone give me suggestions or tell me some features for either of those softwares? I want to record myself as well as my band. I don't do much electronic music or metal. Thanks

Last edited by collinthewhale : 10-01-2013 at 11:01 AM.
collinthewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:08 AM   #2
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

What does "complete" mean? What do you want it to do?
Old 10-01-2013, 11:22 AM   #3
collinthewhale

Basically just a full version. A lot softwares have a cheap and expensive version without explaining the differences.
collinthewhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #4
Cavalcade
Days, I feel it...

That doesn't help anyone. What do you want to do with it? What features do you need? Why do you need a "full version"? What parts of it can't you live without? Why not get a cheaper version, if it does everything you want? Why do you think I asked?
Old 10-01-2013, 01:00 PM   #5
MatrixClaw
UG God

Reaper can do everything that Pro Tools, Cubase, Logic, Sonor, etc. can do for $60. I've never been a fan of Mixcraft and FL Studio is easy to learn, but not quite as powerful as the other professional DAWs out there IMO, but it's really all about workflow, and if one works better for you, then that's the one you should get. I'm pretty sure all of these have demos on their sites you can try... so download them all and make your choice based on that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
MatrixClaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #6
jof1029
GO HOKIES!

the fruity edition of FL Studio does not support audio recording, which makes it useless for what you want to do. at minimum you would need the producer edition, which is $200. FL is a solid bit of software, and i found that it did piano roll stuff and sequencing very well. i also found it easy to mix in, but didnt like the recording aspect (though this was quite a few versions ago).
Reaper is a solid choice, both from feature set and price point. it does not have a lot of vst instruments, but has pretty much everything else you will need starting out. and there are plenty of VSTis out there for free.
ive never tried mixcraft, but it doesnt seem to get the same level of respect that other programs get.

I have donated 3920 grains of rice!
jof1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #7
WaltTheWerewolf
Caffeinated

for recording i'd go with Cubase Elements. the HALion feature is pretty cool, and its pretty simple to use for a DAW etc...alot better recording options than FL Studio and to get the most out of FL Studio you'd need the producers version which is 200$.
WaltTheWerewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 02:42 AM   #8
chatterbox272

Rather than saying you need it to be 'full' you need to tell us what features are important. For example, REAPER does have an inbuilt midi editor, but most people don't particularly like it so if you were going to use lots of virtual instruments REAPER is a poor choice. Mixcraft on the other hand does this better, but (IIRC) has less of the more powerful audio editing tools that REAPER has. Mixcraft is also doomed to spend it's life chasing Garageband, because that's basically what people consider it to be, Garageband for Windows.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 04:17 AM   #9
Vernon Jines

For full recording software "Cubase Elements" is the best option but it is for $200 and unfortunately I did not find any software in your budget of $100 to $150 which is all in one and full recording. Try to enhance your budget so that you can get batter recording software.
Vernon Jines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 06:33 AM   #10
chatterbox272

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernon Jines
For full recording software "Cubase Elements" is the best option but it is for $200 and unfortunately I did not find any software in your budget of $100 to $150 which is all in one and full recording. Try to enhance your budget so that you can get batter recording software.

Did you even look at the thread? I mean the OP even mentioned REAPER which is exactly that and less than $100. Not to mention Cubase Elements is a cut down version of Cubase (hence "Elements") and therefor inherently not the full version of the software.
Masquerade: #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael J. Caboose
Time isn't made out of lines, it is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round.
chatterbox272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
Guitar Hack

I use Mixcraft 6. It is more than adequate for just about anything you want. Get a midi controller as well.
Guitar Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
axemanchris
Awwww.... NOW what?!

What are you using for an interface? Did it come bundled with any software? What features is that software missing that you feel you need?

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk
Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
axemanchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:54 AM   #13
tnlsl

My vote goes to REAPER also. It can do everything I could ask for and more. But of course, it depends on personal needs... You should elaborate on what do you use it for etc. We used only REAPER for our prog metal song (www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3halXv1b40) and couldn't be happier! Bang for the buck indeed!
tnlsl is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: