User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 07-01-2014, 10:03 AM   #1721
Syndromed
French guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Go back and listen carefully to your playing relative to the beat on the slower one: you start off really inconsistent and completely out of time and slowly bring yourself in line with the beat. You really need to focus on getting the right notes on the click, say you focus on getting the high note on the beat if you really home in on that and ensure that the rest of the notes are evenly spaced that should get you in time.

That's really what needs the most work though, getting yourself consistently in time.

I agree, I'm not able to start correctly in time, I need some try to be in time.
I'll practice that, thank you very much for your answer and help.

Except that, does it sound clean and not sloppy though ?
Old 07-01-2014, 10:50 AM   #1722
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndromed
I agree, I'm not able to start correctly in time, I need some try to be in time.
I'll practice that, thank you very much for your answer and help.

Except that, does it sound clean and not sloppy though ?

There's a couple of fluffed notes in the faster one, it's generally good but definitely needs more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Foo
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Zaphod_Beeblebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #1723
Syndromed
French guy

Ok ! Thank you very much Zaphod.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:29 AM   #1724
Donaldosguitar

Can someone please tell what techinque is used on the first 2 tones in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3alm_8u3Pw
I tried a normal harmonic but the sound is completely different.
Also, that sound on 0:27

Last edited by Donaldosguitar : 07-03-2014 at 10:31 AM.
Donaldosguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #1725
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

I'm leaning towards it being some kind of artificial harmonic with a normal note played at the same time. That's what it sounds like to me at least, I'm not at all sure about that.

Quote:
A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:09 AM   #1726
Andymartinmusic
UG Newbie

Hey everyone!
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away, you can learn more about me at www.andymartinmusic.com
Www.youtube.com/andymartinguitar
I play professionally and I have studied with the late legendary Ted Green!
I teach via skype as well n I have published 2 best selling instructional aides!
7 string guitar n the guitar arpeggio encyclopedia
http://youtu.be/VIYWCnNPZhs

http://youtu.be/jg0oe4y7GCk
Andymartinmusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 02:31 PM   #1727
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymartinmusic
Hey everyone!
If anyone has any questions feel free to ask away, you can learn more about me at www.andymartinmusic.com
Www.youtube.com/andymartinguitar
I play professionally and I have studied with the late legendary Ted Green!
I teach via skype as well n I have published 2 best selling instructional aides!
7 string guitar n the guitar arpeggio encyclopedia
[ url redacted ]

[ url redacted ]

*Reported* If you want to advertise, go through the proper channels.

Quote:

Old 07-11-2014, 10:24 AM   #1728
GuitarFan995

Hi. I got 2 vids of myself playing random improvisation. I'd like you guys to see them and give me some constructive criticism for my technique.

This is from 1 week ago

This is from today

And if you want to hear me on a backing track to check my timing 'n stuff there's a few recordings of me playing on backint tracks, but no video, just audio. Here's the newest one.

Note: I've been playing guitar for 4 years and 9 months.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I already know that one of my main problems is tension. I tense up a lot especially when alternate picking, and I couldn't relax to save my life. I don't know how to do that, I've tried for the past 3 years the whole slowing down and building up thing, it's reaaaaaaally slowly taking me somewhere, but at this rate it's going to take me another 10 years to get where I want to. I don't know if I'm just developing my skills slower than average or if I set my standards unrealistically high. Might be both.

Last edited by GuitarFan995 : 07-11-2014 at 12:25 PM.
GuitarFan995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2014, 10:53 PM   #1729
fcauley
Banned

When I first started playing OK had no idea where ho to even hold my guitar properly. I found an awesome website just browsing the internet and it is amazing for both beginners and for more professional guitarists. Take a look and have fun!
*link removed*
fcauley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 01:44 AM   #1730
coderguy

I'm not an expert guitarist (quit playing for 15 years and just started again), but as I watch these videos of these people play, my numero UNO advice is the same:

This isn't directed at any single person, but at everyone playing lightning fast slop in here (Which is a bunch of people).

1) Slow the Bleep DOWN, WTFRU - DOING - AT - THAT - SPEED... If I could write you a speeding ticket I would.

2) It is ok to play something a tiny tiny bit faster than you can play cleanly ONLY as long as you can SOMETIMES play it cleanly (meaning you are able to do it fairly clean some of the time, or at the VERY least ONCE - meaning even if you got lucky). If your hands can never play it cleanly at least once, then you don't know what your practicing for. Hence, your brain/hand coordination doesn't have the correct knowledge to play at that speed and you are wasting your time practing it SO FAST (it will more than likely just keep getting faster but even sloppier).

This means you can start to play it fast when you know you just need to practice a RIFF a few more hours to get it perfectly clean. However. people in here are playing stuff WAY WAY faster than they should even attempt to. If you want to just shred now and then a bunch of notes together for no reason, then that's fine GET IT OUT OF YOUR SYSTEM. BUT... Do NOT make it your main thing to play, that's why you all are playing so sloppy. Play single note trills across the neck cleanly or tap or something to get it out of your system, don't make a habit of playing sloppy.

3) Warm up to something you can play 100% correctly and warm up slowly... Should take a good 5-10 minutes to even start to warm up. I usually warm up with chords and rhythm stuff, then play some stuff with some single note chord picking.

4) There is a "peak ability" time for most beginner to novice players during a session, this is usually probably about 10-60 minutes after playing (less time the more advanced you are). This is when your fingers are the entirely warmed up and haven't had time to start hurting yet, but you've done enough chops that day to be "in the zone". Don't attempt stuff beyond your ability when you are outside the zone, you'll learn it even sloppier.

5) Slow the BLEEP down (again), slow down, slow down, slower, slower, slower. And did I mention, please play a little slower?

6) Muting is your friend, I heard some people say for some reason they have problems with certain notes ringing out. It's because more advanced players often have a style to where their palm sits very close to the string just by habit, and can actually mute certain strings at certain times to make certain notes ring clearer while others to NOT ring out at all. Such as muting groups of strings with a little palm bending automatically without even thinking about it. This is also very important if you are playing on a cheap guitar that isn't setup perfectly (if you want to make notes sound cleaner). You can control some of your sustain with a partial muting technique by muting between notes (muting isn't just for making things sound darker).

7) Learn slower stuff. After having quit for 15 years, I cannot play the same stuff I used to be able to, so I started with a David Gilmour lead (which only has a few fast parts, but mostly the fast parts are simple pentatonic stuff so it's not too bad).

8) Skip stuff you cannot do and come back to it. Improvise and "play around" the parts you do not know. You'll find that mastering the easier parts first will then make it easier to add back the more complex stuff.

9) Practice on a backing track from a SONG or SOLO you already know and change up and add to the SOLO you already know. The reason this is important is because you'll stay in KEY better and unless you're advanced in theory, you'll be able to better invent new RIFF's.

10) Find other guitarists around your skillset to play in person (easier said than done).

11) Learn an entire song (or at least 80% of it), and learn to play it as perfectly as the studio version every time. Play it so well that you can literally play over every note and record it to the point where you cannot even distinctly make out your own playing.

12) Record yourself and keep repeating your playing until the timing and technique is perfect (or at least as good as you can get it). Even if you cannot quite get something, chances are if you play it enough you'll nail a technique on accident and then go, oh wow that is how he did it.

13) Don't use tablature as a bible, most of it is written out partially wrong. This can actually mess you up if you are in the very early stages of beginning to solo and you are thinking "how the BEEP can that pattern of notes match the studio version of this song". Guess what, you might be right, even tablature that is rated highly often has bad mistakes in the SOLO parts. So play around with slight changes until it sounds like it is supposed to.

That is my 2 cents, probably all it is worth...

Last edited by coderguy : 07-19-2014 at 01:50 AM.
coderguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #1731
JohnProphet

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarFan995
Hi. I got 2 vids of myself playing random improvisation. I'd like you guys to see them and give me some constructive criticism for my technique.

This is from 1 week ago

This is from today

And if you want to hear me on a backing track to check my timing 'n stuff there's a few recordings of me playing on backint tracks, but no video, just audio. Here's the newest one.

Note: I've been playing guitar for 4 years and 9 months.

Thanks in advance.

PS: I already know that one of my main problems is tension. I tense up a lot especially when alternate picking, and I couldn't relax to save my life. I don't know how to do that, I've tried for the past 3 years the whole slowing down and building up thing, it's reaaaaaaally slowly taking me somewhere, but at this rate it's going to take me another 10 years to get where I want to. I don't know if I'm just developing my skills slower than average or if I set my standards unrealistically high. Might be both.

1) u need some more work on vibrato. You r playing all these notes and then when u (finally) stop u hit a little bitty nervous vibrato. I suggest listening to John Sykes either on the Whitesnake "Whitesnake" album (1987) or the Blue Murder first album or maybe Greg Howe on his first album..or any Paul Gilbert or Yngwie. The cool vibrato will make the faster scale stuff sound way better

2) Phrasing. In the first 2 improvs there is essentially no phrasing at all. Its all licks at one constant speed...no breathing. You ever been around someone who just talks nonstop and u dont even have time to digest what they said and they are still jabbering on?? if u dont have some phrasing then thats how your playing will sound

Those 2 problems are related...the phrasing and vibrato go together.

may as well add:

3) string bending. I think u were doing that one bend and hold where u add the pinky note etc but u should have WAY more variety in your string bending

Its obvious you have focused on fast picking, maybe some sweeps, some tapping....but where is the soul?? where is the bending, vibrato, phrasing? even Mike Batio throws in some bends and vibrato here and there.

listen to this old school solo. it has plenty of speed and fast picking but check the vibrato and bending.

The vibrato at 1:46, 1:56, 2:06 all sound very different to me.

listen to this solo:

starting at around 4:19 he is throwing in a fast lick but then at 4:23 he goes into a nice phrasing lick coming down to that strong vibrato

IMO that is what your playing is lacking the most

This is always voted in the top 5 shred albums but the vibrato and sting bending stand out as much as the shred.

btw, they used to always say it took like 7 years to build a great vibrato...so dont feel too bad lol.
JohnProphet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:42 AM   #1732
GMx

Well, here is my attempt. I hope some of you guys can give me a few pointers (though this video does not completely depict many faults I know I have)

GMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #1733
Donaldosguitar

Hi
on this video:
what technique is Trace Bundy using in the beginning of the song, and on 0:20 when he starts using his left hand?
Donaldosguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #1734
GMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donaldosguitar
Hi
on this video:
what technique is Trace Bundy using in the beginning of the song, and on 0:20 when he starts using his left hand?

That's hammering, as far as I know. A really well performed hammering on a really responsive, good sounding guitar.

Last edited by GMx : 08-13-2014 at 05:01 PM.
GMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:20 PM   #1735
SteveArmourae

My lead guitarist who is self taught uses the unusual technique of his finger pads instead of the finger tips which is recommended by all the acoustics books,. The result is he is able to play faster
SteveArmourae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #1736
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveArmourae
My lead guitarist who is self taught uses the unusual technique of his finger pads instead of the finger tips which is recommended by all the acoustics books,. The result is he is able to play faster

That is very much unlikely to be why he's faster.

Quote:

Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM   #1737
garywilson456

Hi,
I have a question that when I play a guitar after 6-7 minutes my fingers are going to hurt so is this my guitar problem or just because of I am a beginner.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:43 AM   #1738
Zaphod_Beeblebr
Shallow and pedantic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garywilson456
Hi,
I have a question that when I play a guitar after 6-7 minutes my fingers are going to hurt so is this my guitar problem or just because of I am a beginner.

1 - What kind of pain is it? Is it like the kind of pain you get in your legs when you've been running too long or is it something else? Be specific.

2 - How long have you been playing and how much do you play/practice?

Quote:

Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 AM   #1739
howdy07

i want to train my basic playing guitar skill via online. think your links will help me.

Rate This Thread: