User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #21
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrathfulOne
Thanks, I could have gone to Wikipedia or something, but it's a bit dry and I wanted to hear what some of you guys have to say about it (the human element if you will).

I know about the notes being at various places on the neck, but I believe in recreating the original guitarist's performance exactly, so I study youtube vids for ages trying to determine if I am playing it the same as the original player did. Perhaps somewhat OCD, but I see other people correcting tabs in comments about which fret a note is played on, so I don't think I'm alone!

The people who correct the tabs have no idea how the song should be played. They don't usually even know that you can play it in many positions and sound the same. For example, look at the comments of Smoke on the Water tab. Majority of the people commenting don't even know what they are talking about and have just learned to play the riff and of course think the way they play it is the right way to play it. Though I also like to play it in the same position as the original artist. But I don't bitch about it if somebody prefers to play it in a different position. I mean, they are the same notes so who cares.

Though you get a bit fatter sound if you play on thicker strings. And Tony Iommi usually used the three thickest strings when he played the riffs.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Digitech RP355
MXR Micro Chorus
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Hartke HyDrive 210c
MaggaraMarine is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: