Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > The Pit
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 01-24-2015, 08:28 PM   #12961
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

I think that the fishing and wine drinking scene with Bill from The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite individual pieces of literature.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:46 PM   #12962
ninnipinni93
hates weirdos

War and Peace is a much easier read than I thought, more entertaining than I thought 19th century russian literature could ever be.
ninnipinni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 09:59 AM   #12963
guitarxo
cat

I just finished reading Orientalism but I totally wasn't absorbing it half the time since I read it on the tedious commute home and half of the stuff I highlighted is words i needed to look up. And all those French quotations with no translation grr.

There were some bits that stuck with me but nothing that allows me to see the world from a different point of view now - most of what I understood was stuff I had observed before and had already formed similar conclusions about. The friend who recommended it to me said that I should've read the preface and the afterword before reading the rest of the text...Well thanks a lot it's too late now lol.

I will definitely be rereading this in the future but not anytime soon. Maybe when I go to this island where there's no wifi and nothing to do except fish, which I don't. For now I am rereading Stuff White People Like because I want to understand how to manipulate my oppressors and also my brain is kinda tired
Old 01-25-2015, 11:47 AM   #12964
steve_muse
UG Resident

The preface is a handy summary of what it's all about so yea that's good advice

It really changed my views on a lot of stuff, that the Orient is a production of the west rather than just 'observed fact' and how it's all tied up with a Foucauldian power structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 457undead
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
steve_muse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 02:54 PM   #12965
deadsmileyface
vertigo

Location: ~~~ lost in the patterns of youth where the windows shine brightly back at u ~~~
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreadnought
I think that the fishing and wine drinking scene with Bill from The Sun Also Rises is one of my favorite individual pieces of literature.

huu

also Bill's line "The road to hell is paved with unbought stuffed dogs" = best line ever
Old 01-25-2015, 03:26 PM   #12966
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Haha yeah that line is great

"We must utilize the product of the vine. Will you utilize, brother?"
Old 01-25-2015, 03:42 PM   #12967
steve_muse
UG Resident

Reading these sci if short stories for class tomorrow, they're kinda funny, some a bit roll eyes, and some really rather cool. Like the one I just read, 'Desertion', about humans having to convert into new creatures to explore Jupiter and a guy and his dog do it and experience a vastly improved intelligence, keener senses etc and don't come back to the research station thing cos they don't wanna be shitty man and dog again

Quote:
I hope you guys realize that HTML\jsp can be easily manipulated in your browser, so there is no real way to confirm that this conversation happened.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:57 PM   #12968
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Authors?
Old 01-25-2015, 04:05 PM   #12969
steve_muse
UG Resident

It stretches from early 20th century stuff to the 90s so: HG Wells, Frank Pollack, John W Campbell, Cliffard Simak, Walter Miller, Frederick Pohl, Brian Aldiss, Racoona Sheldon.

those are just the ones I've been prescribed. It's from the 'Oxford book of Science Fiction Stories' edited by Tom Shipley if yer interested

Quote:
Old 01-25-2015, 07:44 PM   #12970
I.O.T.M
u r so mad right now

I just read The Postman Always Rings Twice. Wow. Is James M. Cain the GOAT noir writer?

you can't look at the sky without looking right through it

I.O.T.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #12971
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

I'm looking for recommendations.

A fantasy (or perhaps sci-fi that I haven't heard of) with very vivid, detailed, descriptive writing and sweeping landscapes and poetic prose. And great world building

Think the description in Lord of the Rings, but more, and no hokey pokey nonsense. For a sci-fi comparison, think of the level of detail and world building in Peter Hamilton's books.

So yeah, maybe a fantasy series written by someone who writes like Proust? Anybody got anything?
Old 01-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #12972
BladeSlinger
UG's Master

Quote:

A fantasy (or perhaps sci-fi that I haven't heard of) with very vivid, detailed, descriptive writing and sweeping landscapes and poetic prose. And great world building

Think the description in Lord of the Rings, but more, and no hokey pokey nonsense. For a sci-fi comparison, think of the level of detail and world building in Peter Hamilton's books.

So yeah, maybe a fantasy series written by someone who writes like Proust? Anybody got anything?

Have you read The Name of the Wind? Might not match everything you want but it's very immersive, in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainsnazz
brot pls
BladeSlinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:10 PM   #12973
Demon Wolf
GT's Iron Fisted Leader

Just finished Ocean At The End Of The Lane by Neil Gaiman, enjoyable stuff.
Demon Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #12974
steve_muse
UG Resident

Quote:

Perdido Street Station for the urban equivalent of middle earth. Railsea for a fantasy world where the sea is still land, and instead of boats you have trains (hence Railsea) Great, subtle world building in it, lots of weird monsters, lore, city-states etc.

Oh you actually might be very interested in the Viriconium series by M. John Harrison. Probably some of the best prose I've read in fantasy, and it combines a medieval setting with a really cool and peculiar sci-fi aesthetic. He mostly writes SF tho so you might wanna check 'em out generally.

Quote:

Last edited by steve_muse : 01-28-2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM   #12975
Dreadnought
Star-Splitter

Thanks for the recommendations, I'll check them out
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #12976
jakesmellspoo
Pervert

just watched Killing Them Softly and now i wanna read Cogan's Trade.

any other George V Higgins books i should check out?
It was my first day at a cardboard factory. They told me to remove my piercing. I refused and got sent home with full payment. So my shortest job was 20 minutes.
jakesmellspoo is online now   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: