Go Back   UG Community @ Ultimate-Guitar.Com > UG Community > New Members Q&A Forum
User Name  
Password
Search:

Old 04-18-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
brokendrumstick

Useless pinky finger

Hello all, I just started learning guitar a week ago. I have noticed I can not bend my pinkey finger without bending my ring finger, also I can't do a g chord using fingers 2,3,4. My pinky will not move! Is this a problem that can be over come or is it a genetic disability??

Thanks in advance

Btw I'm a 36 year old drummer just learning guitar so training fingers may be harder than a 10 year olds.
brokendrumstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Ritchie360

You must be disformed.
Just joking, i practically never use my pinky when playing guitar, especially when doing bending, only rarely if i bend the 15th fret of the 1st string, and when playing some chords like the G and Dsus4.
I guess if you're simply UNABLE to do it, you'll still come away a decent guitarist.
Tomy Iommi can teach you some stuff about being a finger-handicapt guitarist
Ritchie360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
derek8520

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritchie360
You must be disformed.
Just joking, i practically never use my pinky when playing guitar, especially when doing bending, only rarely if i bend the 15th fret of the 1st string, and when playing some chords like the G and Dsus4.
I guess if you're simply UNABLE to do it, you'll still come away a decent guitarist.

Please ignore this.

Practice. Keep practicing and it will eventually be easier to do everything, including using your pinky.
derek8520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:17 PM   #4
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright

Most people struggle with their pinky, and think OH I can do without, but thats not true... It's extremely useful and essential for a lot of things.

Take your time and you'll get used to it.
Nero Galon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
perilio

Practice, you will eventually get it. Pinky is very useful. I know its frustrating, just keep going. One thing that helped me was doing some pentatonic scale runs, there you can train your pinky finger and get used to it.
perilio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:41 PM   #6
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
You must be disformed.

You obviously never saw Buckethead doing his shred.

@brokendrumstick, don't worry. It's the thing that all newbs experience when learning guitar, it's just like when you started drumming and couldn't play double bass pedal in proper rhythm - it's not a disability, it's just untrainedness. You will eventually develop your pinky muscles enough to do bending with pinky only (although it's rarely used, it IS used).

Here is an inspirational video:
show

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.

Last edited by TheNameOfNoone : 04-18-2013 at 02:44 PM.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #7
sonofgkex

Keep trying until it becomes useful. Don't listen to that idiot who says you don't need it. For every Tony Iommi type who uses alternate fingerings and such there are 10,000 morons who think they have come up with a more effective style but actually just suck as a guitarist. I once could not use the pinky either, but now it is not a problem.

Learn Panama's intro riff, if is good practice for barre chords and using the pinky. Also, Eruption's tapping section forces use of the pinky too.

Those are intimidating songs, but probably not as far out of reach as you think. Just give it some time and don't give up.
sonofgkex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 06:02 PM   #8
MyEpiphoneSings

There was a well known Gypsy Guitar player named Django Reinhardt That i beleive played his Guitar with the use of only Three good fingers. The story goes as a child his hand was horribly burned and ended up in hospital. As an exercise a family member gave him a guitar. Boy did he end up swinging when he got older so hang in there.
Think there may also be a devise sold to learning guitarist to strengthen their finger. Names ascape me but any good music store should carry them.

Last edited by MyEpiphoneSings : 04-18-2013 at 06:07 PM.
MyEpiphoneSings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 07:05 AM   #9
Ritchie360

Im being misunderstood, my post was a joke.. people these days have no sense of humor :/ of course you can play well without your pinky and you can definitely practice is.
Ritchie360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:53 AM   #10
TheNameOfNoone
Buckethead's Right Hand

Quote:
Im being misunderstood, my post was a joke.. people these days have no sense of humor :/ of course you can play well without your pinky and you can definitely practice is.

...or your jokes are not funny?

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
TheNameOfNoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:09 AM   #11
brokendrumstick

Thanks everyone for the advise/ encouragement! Thinking back I remember struggling with the double stroke and long rolls, I thought I would never get it with my left hand. But hours of practice later, I got it. I guess my left side is just weak.

Thanks again!
brokendrumstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
whoisntthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by derek8520
Please ignore this.

Practice. Keep practicing and it will eventually be easier to do everything, including using your pinky.

Especially using your pinky since it is one of the most unnatural things for your hand to do. It will suck at first but if you let that stop you you're not going to get as good as you could.
whoisntthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 12:44 AM   #13
sinfulsix

People may say wha? when i say this. But i use my pinky 24/7 when i play say a power chord i use my pinky on everything..you will get use too it over time ... When i first started my pinky felt locked up or felt dumb trying to move it.... best way to improve your pinky play is to run some scales ... i mean for example A minor scale? i use my Index finger then pinky index pinky index pinky ect..... but just cause i use my pinky 24/7 my ring finger is just as good so practice using the pinky as much as possible even when it feels like your pinky is saying nooo just go up and down the fret.......its not a over night thing but stick with it for weeks and it will come together..
sinfulsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
woyaochuan

woyaochuan is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread: